Guatemala's treatment of women

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trevster2k

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I watched the documentary Killer's Paradise tonight on the Documentary Channel which chronicles the horrific murder rate of women in Guatemala. A country of 15 million people sees 2 women murdered a day. The police do not even investigate the murders. Women are treated as nobodies regardless of their background. Totally appalling.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/this_world/4965786.stm

I only heard about this on the radio myself last week. A co-worker who was just separated from his wife was complaining in the lunch room recently about how easy women have it, how you can't do anything or they will have the cops on you and how the laws favour women. I tore a piece of skin off him explaining that millions of women all over the world are exploited, abused, raped and murdered every day. Women don't have it easy. :|

Even here in Canada our police have been negligent in investigating the murders of sex trade workers. The Robert Pickton case involving the deaths of over 30 sex trade workers didn't get attention until people started protesting. The police regarded the missing prostitutes as just missing, not as murders.

In 2007, this monstrous treatment of women is inexcusable.

Re: Re: Guatemala's treatment of women

DaveC said:
To be quite honest, this is nothing new for Guatemala.

What has that got to do with the fact he said in 2007 this should not be the case :confused:

How many woman are abused and murdered her and other parts of the world. So don't just put down guatemala. Look at the treatment of woman in Saudi Arabia.

Justin24 said:
How many woman are abused and murdered her and other parts of the world. So don't just put down guatemala. Look at the treatment of woman in Saudi Arabia.

That's really not the point Justin-injustice to women anywhere is injustice to women everywhere. And to men, men who care. Men should care.

He's not just "putting down" Guatemala-after all, he mentioned Canada too. And he mentioned women all over the world.

I would like to see them put more emphasis on Saudi Arabia though because I think it's worse for them there???

Justin24 said:
I would like to see them put more emphasis on Saudi Arabia though because I think it's worse for them there???

So now it's some sort of "competition"? It's not a matter or question of it being worse anywhere, it's a matter of it happening at all. Are you being defensive because your family is from there?

There have been plenty of threads here about the treatment of women in Saudi Arabia (I started one recently)-no one seems to care all that much if you judge by the response. But I hope they do care all the same.

Justin, you are being ridiculous, which is essentially your modus operandi here.

Because Saudi Arabia is despicable, ergo we should not discuss Guatemala?

Woman should be treated with the upmost respect and it pisses me off that the Guatemalan police don't do shit. No I am not being defensive, but why did the person of the article not write about unsolved murders through out the world against woman?

You can't generalize every thread or every article.

Is someone not suppose to write about gang violence in LA(even if they have 1st hand experience) because it may be worse somewhere else? Are you not going to do a thread on illegal immigration in the US because some countries have it worse off then us? Obviously not.

I think you are being defensive because it's Guatemala and it's not some Muslims we're talking about.

Justin24 said:
Woman should be treated with the upmost respect and it pisses me off that the Guatemalan police don't do shit. No I am not being defensive, but why did the person of the article not write about unsolved murders through out the world against woman?

So if there is an article about an issue in a certain society, they better mention everywhere it happens throughout the world or you'll get pissed off? :der:

I am not playing favorites, but why not make an article about violence against woman world wide period.

Justin24 said:
I am not playing favorites, but why not make an article about violence against woman world wide period.

Because specifics find a way to bring it home. Maybe their research and access to information is limited.

Do you have information regarding immigration of DP in other countries? Obviously not.

WHO urges Governments to take action to reduce violence against women

22 November 2002 | GENEVA -- Nearly half the women who die due to homicide are killed by their current or former husband or boyfriend. In fact, violence accounts for approximately 7% of all deaths among women aged 15-44 worldwide.

This is one of the findings of WHO’s newly released World report on violence and health. In addition to the hundreds of thousands of lives destroyed, the report shows that violence against women has been linked to a number of immediate and long-term conditions, including physical injury, chronic pain syndromes, depression and suicidal behaviour. Partner violence can also affect a woman’s earning, job performance and her ability to keep a job.

For more information on gender violence

The report also shows that, in some countries, up to 69% of women report having been physically assaulted and up to 47% of women report that their first sexual intercourse was forced.

“We need to voice the violence, to hear the stories of all those affected by violence. Spreading the word, breaking down the taboos and exposing the violence that takes place among us is the first step towards effective action to reduce violence in our own societies,” said Dr Gro Harlem Brundtland, Director-General of the World Health Organization (WHO) on the occasion of the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women, 25th of November.

Massive differences in homicide rates among women show that there is nothing inevitable about violence. For example female homicide rates in a number of developing and transition countries exceed 6 per 100,000 population. This is 10 to 15 times higher than in countries with the lowest female homicide levels (Japan, United kingdom, Spain, France, Italy, Greece) where the rates are 0.4 to 0.5 per 100,000. By identifying and modifying the factors that drive these difference, female homicides can be prevented.

Young age, low income, low academic achievement and involvement in delinquent behaviour as an adolescent have been linked to a man’s risk of physically assaulting an intimate partner. Furthermore, a history of violence in the male partner’s family as well as excessive alcohol use are important factors.

Women are particularly vulnerable to abuse by their partners in societies where there are marked inequalities between men and women, rigid gender roles, cultural norms that support a man’s right to inflict violence, and weak sanctions against such behaviour.

The report highlights a number of promising prevention programmes, including social development programmes, reducing alcohol availability, reducing access to weapons such as firearms, reducing inequalities and strengthening police and judicial systems. Rather than simply accepting or reacting to violence, the field of public health must work together with the police, criminal justice systems, education, welfare, employment and other sectors, to prevent it.

“These findings challenge us," said Dr Brundtland. "Forty years of work to improve women's lives have given very uneven results. The majority of women in the world still suffer from poverty, discrimination and violence. Yet some countries have overcome this situation, and there is no reason why we can't replicate these successes.”

The release of the report initiated a Global Campaign for Violence Prevention with the objectives of raising awareness about violence as a major public health problem and the role that public health can play in the prevention of violence. Many countries including, Belgium, Costa Rica, Brazil, Colombia, the Philippines, Thailand, Papua New Guinea, Mozambique and South Africa have committed to hosting events to discuss the impact of violence and to implement the recommendations of the report.

The report represents the first comprehensive, global review of current knowledge on violence. Its main message is that violence is preventable. Recommendations include the development of national and local plans of action, review and strengthening of the services being provided to victims of violence and greater investment in primary prevention.

WHO has already started to implement the recommendations of the Report through its Multi-Country Study on Women’s Health and Domestic Violence, which will be released on the 8th of March 2003, through the development of guidelines to strengthen services for victims of sexual violence and through the provision of technical support to several countries.

For more information on the report visit, http://www.who.int/violence_injury_prevention/. To order a copy of the report, contact bookorders@who.int

It was a documentary, with the topic Women in Guatemala.
It was because the reporters did some extended research on violence against women in Guatemala.

Documentaries usually aim to give a more detailed view of a topic, hence they can't generalise everything.

This time they decided to focus on Guatemala, the next time they might do a documentary about another country.

Why is that such a problem?

Why do you demand a documentary on that topic that says all the time "But this is happening in over countries as well"?

That's common sense, but wasn't the aim of the documentary.
When you are studying and have to write a thesis, your dissertation or anything else you have to focus on a limited frame as well.
Nothing else happens here.

Only because it's worse in Saudi Arabia doesn't mean we should abandon the situation in other countries, especially ones that are culturally closer to ours.
Saudi Arabia is a Muslim country, it is not acceptable how they treat women, but if you take Guatemala, most people there are catholics or of another Christian denomination. And religion especially in developing countries still has a major influence on culture.

So a documentary focussing on the life of a Guatemalan woman is very reasonable and important.

And I don't see any sense in questioning why this country was taken, and not another.

The WHO articles were focussing on the general aspect. They are not that detailed because they aim at informing about the general world wide problem and statistics.

Both the focussed and detailed documentary and the general article are very good, important and they have equal value.

No, besides talking about Guatemala they should also discuss other regions. I am glad they talk about guatemala but they should focus abroad too.

My friend is on a two-year posting in Guatemala but due to the fact she's basically a prisonner in her own home (she can't go out on her own, during the day or night) she's asked that her posting be cut in half. She never imagined it would be as bad as it really is.

Have any of you been to Guatemala??? No so until you go there and walk around don't talk.

Back
Top Bottom