Guantanamo: the American Gulag - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2005, 01:34 PM   #106
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:00 AM
what Bush had to say:

"It seemed like to me they based some of their decisions on the word of -- and the allegations -- by people who were held in detention, people who hate America, people that had been trained in some instances to disassemble -- that means not tell the truth. And so it was an absurd report."

once again: criticize anything the Bush administration does, and you hate America.

Old 05-31-2005, 01:38 PM   #107
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
what Bush had to say:

"It seemed like to me they based some of their decisions on the word of -- and the allegations -- by people who were held in detention, people who hate America, people that had been trained in some instances to disassemble -- that means not tell the truth. And so it was an absurd report."

once again: criticize anything the Bush administration does, and you hate America.
No, Dubya, "disassemble" means to take apart.

"Dissemble" means to lie or to conceal the truth, yes.

But then again, those of us who had better than C averages in college already knew that.

Join Amnesty.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:44 PM   #108
ONE
love, blood, life

I would like to take a moment here to thank the honorable men and women of the United States Armed forces, who DO their jobs every day, with integrity and honor.

This American Nationalism is brought to you by Me.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:45 PM   #109
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by pax

But then again, those of us who had better than C averages in college already knew that.
Or even if you passed 10th grade English.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:51 PM   #110
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I would like to take a moment here to thank the honorable men and women of the United States Armed forces, who DO their jobs every day, with integrity and honory.

Hyperbole sells - even in the human rights market.

and don't put the Koran on a dirty table.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:58 PM   #111
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I would like to take a moment here to thank the honorable men and women of the United States Armed forces, who DO their jobs every day, with integrity and honor.

agreed.

and those who torture inmates do nothing but make our brave men and women, who are simply doing their jobs the best way they know how, less safe.

nationalism, however, i cannot go along with.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:59 PM   #112
Blue Crack Addict

I think dreadsox might have been referring to that other thread Irvine

Critticize Bush and you're anti-American... support and respect soldiers in spite of disagreeing w/ Bush policies and in spite of soldiers whose actions make you ill, and you're a ****ing nationalist. Can't win for losing
Old 05-31-2005, 03:06 PM   #113
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:00 PM
what Bush had to say:

"It seemed like to me they based some of their decisions on the word of -- and the allegations -- by people who were held in detention, and then let go.
The unlawful combatants that are there, with the hoods over their heads, and wires attached to their bodies, well, they have not said one word about abuse. And so it was an absurd report."
Old 05-31-2005, 03:10 PM   #114
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I think dreadsox might have been referring to that other thread Irvine

Critticize Bush and you're anti-American... support and respect soldiers in spite of disagreeing w/ Bush policies and in spite of soldiers whose actions make you ill, and you're a ****ing nationalist. Can't win for losing

i know we're not supposed to bring up other threads, but other comments were made beyond American soldiers that was then attributed to American Nationalism.

perhaps i misunderstood Dread's point.

i am an anti-nationalist, though i always support the individual troops, even though i feel as if they're often terribly misused by politicians who's own children do not serve.

i think Nationalism is essentially chauvinism, and often essentially racist. i also think that if an individual defines his sense of self-worth through whatever his passport says. it's one thing to be proud of your country (i used to be), it's one thing to be grateful for the opportunities your country has given you (i am thankful every day), but it is quite another to be unable to see the country's flaws or to view your country and its citizens as, by definition, "better" than any other. your country might do a better job at providing opportunity, your country might have more money, but to assume that how you live is how everyone else must live is flat-out wrong.

not that anyone has suggested as such.

that's simply what i take the definition of Nationalism to mean and why i choose to separate myself from it.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:26 PM   #115
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

i know we're not supposed to bring up other threads, but other comments were made beyond American soldiers that was then attributed to American Nationalism.
Some people in here get their jollies off everytime an INDIVIDUAL in the service does something stupid. for every one bad egg....the are thousands who do their jobs with honor and pride.

If I feel that it is wrong to mischaracterize American soldiers, and single handedly ruin a memorial thread (Not the first memorial thread intentionally attacked in this forum intersetingly enough by a familiar face).

That said, brand me a nationalist.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:48 PM   #116
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Let's clarify this and be honest and say 51% of the American voting population feel this way. Even that is a stretch because I know many who voted for Bush who didn't support the war but liked his so called moral issues.

So when it comes down to it, I really don't think it's a very large majority in this country that support this war 100%. But this administration has done a damn good job making those that oppose sound unAmerican.
The 2004 election was the first time in 16 years that a President actually won a majority of the votes. I think that is very significant. Also, there were many Americans who voted for Kerry and other candidates who DID support the war.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:51 PM   #117
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Support for Iraq war down to 41%, according to a USA Today poll taken less than a month ago.

EDITED TO CLARIFY: Poll had a margin of error at plus or minus 5 points. Respondents were asked if the war was "worth it" or not.

http://www.usatoday.com/printedition...trip04.art.htm

Join Amnesty.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:56 PM   #118
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:00 PM
^ That sounds about right.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:10 PM   #119
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:00 AM
Quote:

If I feel that it is wrong to mischaracterize American soldiers, and single handedly ruin a memorial thread (Not the first memorial thread intentionally attacked in this forum intersetingly enough by a familiar face).
Can you get a little more concrete. I have the weird shadowy feeling you are finger pointing at me, but I am not sure. Could you please confirm.

The sentence is kind of.. unfinished, btw. If... then what?

pax, I don´t understand why you closed the thread started by me. Can you explain?

The current FYM mentality reminds me of a smeary eye-for-an-eye campaign. Shame on those who follow that mentality.

Dreadsox, I am waiting for your reply.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:11 PM   #120
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars

pax, I don´t understand why you closed the thread started by me. Can you explain?

E-mail me at pax [at] interference [dot] com.

Join Amnesty.