Guantánamo Prison - the dark side of the "free world" - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2004, 03:20 PM   #46
War Child

Local Time: 06:35 PM
I reeeeaaaally doubt these people are being held for no good reason. I don't care what you all think of Bush or the Gov't they just don't go around detaining people for nothing. I would guess the real story behind this is they ARE dangerous terrorists, and we know it, but there is no way to PROVE it because they will not rat each other out and there is nothing on paper. But they are too dangerous to be released. Again, you who care so much for them should just be glad they are alive and have hope and didn't 'disappear' as they would in many places at many times. They can't play by the rules when the game has changed. I'm sure they know what they're doing and it will all come out someday and you'll see. There is more to this than we know.

Old 04-23-2004, 03:33 PM   #47
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BluberryPoptart
I reeeeaaaally doubt these people are being held for no good reason. I don't care what you all think of Bush or the Gov't they just don't go around detaining people for nothing. I would guess the real story behind this is they ARE dangerous terrorists, and we know it, but there is no way to PROVE it because they will not rat each other out and there is nothing on paper. But they are too dangerous to be released. Again, you who care so much for them should just be glad they are alive and have hope and didn't 'disappear' as they would in many places at many times. They can't play by the rules when the game has changed. I'm sure they know what they're doing and it will all come out someday and you'll see. There is more to this than we know.
Once again the only fact that we know so far is that there have been innocent people held there as long as 2 years, who knows if there are anymore. These individuals were detained because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time, that doesn't seem like a good reason. I'm not saying everyone was obtained this way, but obviously there are some major flaws. To deny a means of justice in such a flawed system is wrong.

Old 04-23-2004, 03:50 PM   #48
Refugee

Local Time: 10:35 AM
Quote:
No, I'm sure you're right, the government of the United States has never just detained people for questionable reasons, denying them access to an attorney, or a trial. Nope, never happened.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/s...-9944490c.html

I do agree with you in that I hope the truth about the reasoning behind the imprisonment at Guantanamo comes out someday so we can see.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:04 PM   #49
War Child

I knew what that was going to be before I ever clicked on it. They did worse to the Indians back in the 1800's too. I'm talking about NOW, recently, in a time of media and internet and people like us looking into everything. And remember (sssshh) Roosevelt was a DEMOCRAT!

But there is a difference between those innocent families being rounded up out of their homes and a group of dangerous terrorists with tactics never before seen. I am still sure there is a good reason to hold them, but a real American style trial does not fit the situation here. They don't even know what the hell that is so I'm sure they don't feel deprived. These are not civilized honoroable soldiers here. I am also sure a big part of what is hurting their release is that they refuse to talk or tell anything on each other. But because they don't, they remain dangerous and suspicious. I feel a lot safer with them locked up and I don't care who hates me for saying that.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:14 PM   #50
Refugee

I really don't careif Roosevelt was a purple alien. I'm not defending his actions, and never mentioned him.

I knew I'd get the "but these times are different" response, but I was really only addressing the "head in the sand, shut up I'm sure they have their reasons" attitude you were expressing in your earlier post. Sure, times are different, but those that forget the past are doomed to repeat it. You're making a lot of assmuptions on the guilt of those being held and those that have been released. If you feel safer with them being locked up, I'm not going to change your mind. But I don't hate you.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:18 PM   #51
War Child

Yes, I am making assumptions about their guilt and I honestly believe everything I said in the other posts. I feel some of you are giving them too much of the benefit of the doubt, and holding them to a standard they know nothing about. But I'm glad you don't hate me.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:24 PM   #52
Refugee

But you're not giving them a benefit of the doubt at all. You have no doubt that they're guilty and need to be locked up. All I want are trials to prove it either way.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:32 PM   #53
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:35 PM
like dread already said... since when have we had trials for war cimminals in the middle of a war? when the war on terrorism is over, then they can have their trial.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:34 PM   #54
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I feel some of you are giving them too much of the benefit of the doubt, and holding them to a standard they know nothing about.
Well I don't have to remind you what they say about people who assume.

A standard they know nothing about? That's classic. I'm sure the innocent would love to hear that. I'm glad we've gotten to the point where we can treat other humans like animals again. Why is everyone scared to let a justice system judge their innocence? Why are we so sold on our obviously faulty intelligence? This scares me.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:34 PM   #55
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
when the war on terrorism is over, then they can have their trial.
And when will that be, realistically? Hopefully it will go better than the "war on drugs."
Old 04-23-2004, 04:37 PM   #56
War Child

Also how can you 'try' somebody when the only solid evidence (by US justice standards) is the testimony of each other and they will not give that? They'd rather die than cooperate with us. They don't even know what a US trial is like so they have no idea they are not getting one anyway. If they weren't dangerous terrorists they would have begged for mercy and done anything they could to get back home to their families. So they must be, and not talking is part of what makes them look suspicious. But a real old fashioned American style hometown trial does not suit this situation so let's leave it to those who know the whole story.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:39 PM   #57
Refugee

Assume, assume, assume ...
Old 04-23-2004, 04:41 PM   #58
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
like dread already said... since when have we had trials for war cimminals in the middle of a war? when the war on terrorism is over, then they can have their trial.
You need to make up your mind. Are they prisoners of war or not? You can't debate the argument both ways.

Don't kid yourself the war on terrorism just like the war on drugs will never be over.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:46 PM   #59
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Also how can you 'try' somebody when the only solid evidence (by US justice standards) is the testimony of each other and they will not give that? They'd rather die than cooperate with us. They don't even know what a US trial is like so they have no idea they are not getting one anyway. If they weren't dangerous terrorists they would have begged for mercy and done anything they could to get back home to their families. So they must be, and not talking is part of what makes them look suspicious. But a real old fashioned American style hometown trial does not suit this situation so let's leave it to those who know the whole story.
Honestly what the f##k are you talking about? The only evidence is testimony of another, then how the hell did they detain them, their mother's ratted them out? I sure hope their reasoning is better than this logic.

If they weren't dangerous they would have begged for mercy?
So that's all they needed to do? Well I'm sure glad they aren't bright enough to beg for mercy because then we'd have a lot of free terrorist running around who are pissed off at their moms.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:22 PM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Once again the only fact that we know so far is that there have been innocent people held there as long as 2 years
Which ones are you referring to?

They released the British citizens as a political gesture for Blair.