Greenpeace members arrested for blocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hiphop

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Stopping the war machine in Spain

Fri 14 March 2003
SPAIN/Rota

It could be just days before the US goes to war in Iraq and still supplies for the war machine are on route. The Rainbow Warrior blocked the US and Spanish military port of Rota in the south of Spain, trying to stop the US military cargo ship Cape Horn from leaving port for the Gulf. The ship was boarded and several crew members were arrested.

Before we even finished our coffee this morning we were surrounded by police boats and a helicopter was on the scene. At around 8:30 we heard radio transmission that the Cape Horn, a massive military cargo ship headed for the Gulf was preparing to leave. It wasn't long after that we saw military tug boats heading into the port to help maneuver the large vessel out of the port.

But within half an hour we had four inflatable boats in the water with activists, the Rainbow Warrior had started engines and we were raising the anchor. By this time there were another three military ships around us. To our surprise and delight they started to head out to sea, where did they think we were going?

Along with the inflatables we headed towards the entrance of the port, a narrow passage we can block and prevent the war machine from leaving.

The small police boats and helicopter quickly caught up with our activists while the military ships were already too far out to stop us. We are going to stop this military cargo from supplying this illegal and immoral war against Iraq.

By 9:30 the Rainbow Warrior was in position in front of the port entrance and we dropped our anchor.

Already two activists, an American man and Spanish woman, have been arrested as they attempted to chain themselves to buoys on the gate to the port. The police have also seized one of our inflatables but the boat crew were able to avoid arrest.

We are going to stay and stop this military cargo ship. The Spanish government is supporting a war on Iraq both politically at the UN and on the ground here in Rota, but the Spanish people are against this war. We are here stopping this shipment on behalf of the 90 percent of Spanish people who oppose the war with or without a UN resolution.

www.greenpeace.org

Latest update:

2.00 CET Saturday
The police smashed their way into the bridge of the Rainbow Warrior a half hour ago. The police were very excited and acted violently pushing their way through the crew to get to the captain and arrest him. Both the captain Daniel, the Bosun Phil and Carlos the Spanish campaigner have been arrested and charged with serious disobedience, they will have a hearing in the morning. The Rainbow Warrior was towed back to Cadiz harbour and the ship is not allowed to leave. We stopped the war machine for more the 14 hours.

What a coincidence for me. I was today going to post a request for information on Greenpeace. I've been considering involving myself actively with this organisation, and was going to ask people here what their thoughts and experiences were with it. I am starting to do my homework and really want to make an informed decision before committing myself financially and personally.

So, what are everyone's thoughts about Greenpeace? Does anyone have any positive or negative personal experiences? Any other major concerns or voices of recommendation?

Many thanks,
Christian

elfyx,
I'm not a member of Greenpeace, but I'm a member of CND (Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament) and so I've often met people from Greenpeace at CND events. In my experience they're an excellent organisation with some really committed and enthusiastic members. I've also seen their memberes on lots of anti-war demos recently, so I'd say I agree with their position on that issue too :)

So all in all, that's a positive recommendation from me. :happy:

The same non-violent civil disobediance (I hate that term, sounds like I'm being a baad girl), is going to start in the US.
If war starts - walk -out. Many are going to try to peacefully shut down the capital for business by just massing in the way and the stock exchanges also..

Scarletwine said:
The same non-violent civil disobediance (I hate that term, sounds like I'm being a baad girl), is going to start in the US.
If war starts - walk -out. Many are going to try to peacefully shut down the capital for business by just massing in the way and the stock exchanges also..

It's going to be just the same here in the UK when war starts. There are already plans for mass walk-outs, strikes, occupations, road-blocks, etc as well as the usual peace vigils and rallies. Stop the country to stop the war!

elfyx said:
What a coincidence for me. I was today going to post a request for information on Greenpeace. I've been considering involving myself actively with this organisation, and was going to ask people here what their thoughts and experiences were with it. I am starting to do my homework and really want to make an informed decision before committing myself financially and personally.

So, what are everyone's thoughts about Greenpeace? Does anyone have any positive or negative personal experiences? Any other major concerns or voices of recommendation?

Many thanks,
Christian

Hello Christian, I have been a Greepeace afiliated here for years and never regreted it. I contribute with a few reais (our currency is named Real) monthly and when I do that I think about my children?s future. They don?t take donations from government, political parties or companies, only from citizens. Greenpeace Brasil has achieved many goals, fighting against deforestation, transgenic seeds and water polution. They have put pressure on congress to approve laws against environmental degradation. There is still a lot to be done here but I know it would be worse if it was not for Greenpeace and its volunteers.

:up:

Back
Top Bottom