Greatest US President

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AEON said:
Back to the topic - I wonder what qualities people in FYM look for in a great leader/president. Honesty, duty, integrity, boldness...etc.

FYM aside, if you poll the nation, they'll say that all of those qualities are important. In practice, they just pick the candidate who has the best marketing machine and looks the most "presidential."

"Image" is how every American election is determined. "Substance" is irrelevant, which is generally why we get such dim-witted, idiotic, and disingenuous elected officials.

I agree that's there's way too "image-making" and not nearly enough substance in politics in general, and that's why we end up with such idiots in our government.

Irvine511 said:

or, you're historically incorrect, and it's the rest of the world that's right and you're wrong.

but you've been disproved on this point before, yet continue to repeat it.

same old same old.

and you continue you to remain ignorant of basic history. same old same old. But hey, if you can identify the vital role that the Viet Cong played in either the Easter offensive of 1972 or the March 1975 offensive, then please do so.

The article by Rick Perlstein does not say anything about the Viet Cong or the insurgency in South Vietnam.

phanan said:
Well, William Henry Harrison was only president for 90 days. Surely he didn't have enough time to be that dishonest, right? :wink:

Dishonest enough to make it to the White House in the first place ;)

Well, he was only president for 90 days. How good could he have been?
I might thoroughly despise GW, but I sure as Hell wouldn't want his job.
To be a president you have to be a politician. To be a politician you have to be a bullshit artist. To be a bullshit artist you have to be a liar.

Irvine511 said:

Clinton did.

despite the blowjobs and all.
Clinton was the "cool prez" since the day he was elected. He played the sax for crying out loud. He probably could have maintained a positive approval rating while strangling puppies on national television.

Well, despite me not digging GW as our president, sometimes the guy says some pretty funny shit.
Not only did Clinton play the sax, but he did so on the Arsenio Hall Show while donning Blues Brother sunglasses no less.
What wasn't cool, was Clinton cheating on his wife of all the time.

AEON said:
Agreed. We got carried away.

Back to the topic - I wonder what qualities people in FYM look for in a great leader/president. Honesty, duty, integrity, boldness...etc.

Or not???
I could care less about someone's criminal record (you'd be surprised about how many people in our congress have one.) I don't care about whatever facade some politican posts...my vote is on the issues. What do I want in a great leader? Somebody who is an advocate for social justice.

redhotswami said:

What do I want in a great leader? Somebody who is an advocate for social justice.

Can I ask what you mean by social justice?

AEON said:

Can I ask what you mean by social justice?

By social justice I mean somebody who wants to improve our quality of life Raising the minimum wage, universal healthcare, improving the education system, an improvement in our environment policy, ending the war, abolishing the death penalty, giving aid to Africa...etc...

if i had to choose between Bush as someone who is supposedly fits the description of having integrity, duty, blah blah and all that , and a candidate with a few felonies in his record, but stood for those issues I mentioned, I'd vote for the latter in a heartbeat.

Image is BS. It is all talk. I'm all about positve action. Actions speak louder than words.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Take every social stance the conservatives have taken over the last 50 years and do the opposite.

:lol: in the 7 minutes it took me to write my response you pretty much summed it up in one line. Can you write my speeches for me? You'd save a lot of people from boredom.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Take every social stance the conservatives have taken over the last 50 years and do the opposite.

While I don't agree - I admit, that was funny.

AEON said:

While I don't agree - I admit, that was funny.

I honestly didn't mean that as a joke. I know it may come off as short or tongue in cheek but I can't honestly think of one social issue where history has shown conservatives starting off on the right side.

I've brought this topic up before and it probably deserves a completely different thread, but I never started one because I didn't want to start a thread that sounded like I was baiting.

But I'm being completely honest, I can't think of one...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I honestly didn't mean that as a joke. I know it may come off as short or tongue in cheek but I can't honestly think of one social issue where history has shown conservatives starting off on the right side.

I've brought this topic up before and it probably deserves a completely different thread, but I never started one because I didn't want to start a thread that sounded like I was baiting.

Communism.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

The only thing I'm thinking of (because it's in the legal sphere and it's recent) is that the dissent in the 2005 New London case (regarding eminent domain), which was written by the 4 conservative judges (or 3+ O'Connor, can't remember) was actually the better judgment.

The left side of the court got this one wrong.

Then again, this may not count anyway since such "leftist" organizations as the NAACP sided with the dissenters, so maybe it's just a bad decision.

Back
Top Bottom