Greatest Unifying Moment - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2004, 01:19 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:09 AM
I think most of the world (or western world) celebrated the fall of the Berlin Wall. But remember, in that event, one group lost.

Old 07-13-2004, 01:48 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
As you progress further from information sources, you will naturally see a decline in awareness. We forget that in the 1960's, most peoples got their information by radio, not by the fancy televisions we have today. The reach of the radio reports was fairly large.
So you would suggest the the majority of people in the world were both aware of man landing on the moon and saw it as a something which acted to unify all humankind? Or was the reach of radio reports only large in the context of the West?

Old 07-13-2004, 02:13 PM   #18
Jesus Online

Local Time: 04:09 AM
Russia lost when you landed on the moon.

:touche:
Old 07-13-2004, 02:17 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees
So you would suggest the the majority of people in the world were both aware of man landing on the moon and saw it as a something which acted to unify all humankind? Or was the reach of radio reports only large in the context of the West?
The former.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:19 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Russia lost when you landed on the moon.

:touche:
I'd say the Soviets lost much earlier, perhaps during the Gemini program. By that point, we had shown we could consistently launch men into space, dock with vehicles in space and conduct space walks.

The moon, of course, was the grand prize.

An Apollo-Soyeuz tried to establish a mutuality in space exploration.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:32 PM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 01:09 PM
I dont know about the world but I really do think that 9-11 unified Americans, at least for a while. I remember being on campus that day...it was quiet and still, which was so eerie for a bright sunny september day. The semester had just started and normally the campus is buzzing the first month or so of classes. The faculty set up every tv on campus in different buildings so people could watch. We all just huddled around, watching, crying and comforting each other.

I had to go get my parking decal that day to prevent getting a ticket for parking in the student lot. In the office there was a student crying, everybody embracing her....her brother worked on one of the floors of the WTC that was directly hit with a plane.

It was a supremely sad time but it seems we all slowed down our busy lives for a while and took the time to care for each other and to be nicer to one another....so, it was definately a unifying moment.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:47 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

The former.
Can I ask what information you base that judgement on? Do you have any information regarding how widespread access to radio or television would have been in areas such as sub-Saharan Africa, rural areas of China and India, or many countries in south-east Asia?
Old 07-13-2004, 04:14 PM   #23
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Okay, let's not get too contentious here. I think the intent of the thread was just to get some ideas, not to win any ideological battles.

Join Amnesty.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:56 PM   #24
War Child

Local Time: 12:09 PM
Wait - isn't this our religions have been waiting for? A saviour to unite all of humanity? And, the consensus is that the initial coming of orreturn of humanity's savior hasn't yet arrived?

Or is it even possible to unite humanity? Most religions even during revelation isn't meant to unite humanity, but rather divide and seperate the wheat from the chaffe. The only exception to this maybe being some of the ancient prophecies and new age spirituality which suggests all of humanity will shift into a higher, uniting consciousness.

In my mind, the *only* thing that will unite all of humanity is the only thing that ever can: love. And what event would be big enough, and reach every man, woman, and child in every four corners of the earth, to light the spark of unconditional love within each human soul? And, what does that say about free will?

Just my ramblings.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:00 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:09 PM
I think most ideas of "unity" are mostly some romantic idea where we all expect that we will someday agree on everything. After all, I think we are a world weary of uncertainty sometimes, but, with that, it will never happen. The human mind is too complex to have universal agreement, and even in the few times that there have been some form of unity, it has generally been out of less-than-ethical means, such as the means in which the Catholic Church maintained its dominance in Western Europe for 1500 years. Unless we are prepared for equally brutal and autocratic methods, "unity" is a crap shoot.

Melon
Old 07-13-2004, 08:44 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Perhaps unity *is* more of an abstraction than any sort of concrete reality.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:56 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

elfyx alludes to a different type of unity, when every knee will bow and every tongue confess.

But until then......
Old 07-13-2004, 09:43 PM   #28
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

How about when the U.S. Olympic ice hockey team defeated the Soviets at Lake Placid?

Just my sentimental favorite.

Join Amnesty.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:00 AM   #29
Jesus Online

Local Time: 04:09 AM
I see a pattern developing here with you Americans and the USSR....
Old 07-14-2004, 01:59 AM   #30
you are what you is

Local Time: 06:09 PM
hmm, the internet as the great unifier vs Free Your Mind

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa