Grammys "Hey Ya" Sparks Outrage From Native American Groups - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2004, 01:23 AM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:08 AM

Have any of you heard the song "Indian Outlaw" by country singer Tim McGraw? I wonder what the verdict of political correctness would be on that one.

It is important to note that "Native American" is a very broad term encompassing diverse civilizations. Just as it is inaccurate to characterize all of them as being strong warriors or what-not, it is just as inaccurate to broadly classify them as pacifist hippie-types. Here in Alabama and other southestern states, various tribes indicated their vote to fight or retreat by casting a red stick (fight) or white stick (peace).

One thing I have noticed about the sporting team issue is that someone will complain about such teams, and if there is a Native group in the local area, they chime in and say, "Hey, we LIKE them using our heritage and we pull for this team." I think I read about that in some midwestern community last year, with a high school or small college team.

~U2Alabama

Old 02-15-2004, 03:28 AM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama

It is important to note that "Native American" is a very broad term encompassing diverse civilizations. Just as it is inaccurate to characterize all of them as being strong warriors or what-not, it is just as inaccurate to broadly classify them as pacifist hippie-types. Here in Alabama and other southestern states, various tribes indicated their vote to fight or retreat by casting a red stick (fight) or white stick (peace).
While we're at it, it's also inaccurate to classify them as "tribes." A tribe is a specific social system which does not encompass a great number of Native Americans' way of running things.
Though saying "tribes" is a lot easier than "socio-linguistic groups" or some other term equally as hard to say, and it's a widely accepted term for different Native American societies.

As to the actual topic of this thread, I can certainly understand why people would be offended by this performance, though I think it's been blown a little out of proportion.

Old 02-15-2004, 09:05 AM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:08 AM
Pulls out his Johhny West Doll and Geronimo Doll, and his FT. APHACHE and goes to town playing the most UN-PC game of Cowboys and Indians.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:27 PM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:08 AM
I don't think you can dictate to people what they can and can't be offended by. We can say that we don't think it's something which there needs to be an investigation of, or people to be sued over, but nobody can say to another person "you're not allowed to find this offensive."
Old 02-15-2004, 09:30 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees
I don't think you can dictate to people what they can and can't be offended by. We can say that we don't think it's something which there needs to be an investigation of, or people to be sued over, but nobody can say to another person "you're not allowed to find this offensive."
Exactly. Like I said, if there were people offended by this, fine. They have their reasons, they can express how upset they are, whatever.

I just don't like it when it gets to the point where one group of people that's offended by something decides to try and censor it, or ban it, or file suit against it, or whatever. That's unfair to those who didn't find it offensive. That's all.

Angela
Old 02-16-2004, 11:16 AM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:08 AM
You should have worked for Trent Lott
Old 02-16-2004, 07:04 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
You should have worked for Trent Lott
Again I say, the only way we can get rid of these kinds of stereotypes and things along that line is to let them be expressed, so everyone can realize how untrue and silly they sound (or, in this case, look).

Besides, while I thought Trent's remark was stupid, that was a comment just to a friend, and really wasn't meant to be heard by anyone else, anyway.

Angela