Gov't bans slimming ads, tells women to exercise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foray

Rock n' Roll Doggie
In Malaysian news:

The government has asked television stations to halt advertisements for slimming products, telling women to exercise instead in order to stay in shape, reports said today.

The information ministry has told national Radio Television Malaysia (RTM) to stop airing misleading advertisements on beauty products such as to reduce tummies and appealed to private stations to do the same, The Sun daily said.

The ministry's parliamentary secretary Zainuddin Maidin was quoted as telling parliament that women should exercise regularly if they need to slim down and not be influenced by such modern "bomoh" (witch doctors).

"We ask the private sector not to put out nonsensical ads on beauty as they are misleading. People should not be taken in by such advertisements," he said.

Advertisements aired over RTM are subjected to the Advertisement Code but the law does not cover those shown over private stations.

Information ministry officials were not available for comment.

Advertisements for beauty aids are a common feature in Malaysia's late night television programmes.

What do you think?

foray

I think its about bloody time! I dont know how it works in Malaysia or anywhere, but here if a product is not approved by the AMA its basically not going to work. So I think people who are dumb enough to buy them should be more careful with how they can be misled.

Exercise and good food. How hard can it really be to understand? I know sometimes it can be extremely hard to actually lose weight this way, but its the only way that is going to be good for you.

That's flippin awesome! I agree with Angie. lmao. Modern witch doctors indeed.
biggrin.gif

From an American who thinks it's hysterical that we allow ads for "slimming products" but not for hard liquor...good for Malaysia.

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

it's bullocks man, slimming products helped me get down from 350 to a comfortable 280

I'll tell ya man, it's allowed me to go out and win various body building awards, I have even starred in some Hollywood films, did you see me in What's Eating Gilbert Grape?

Has anybody heard of those drinks that claim they can make you lose ten pounds in 48hrs? The thought of losing ten pounds in that amount of time seems extremely dangerous.

Back
Top Bottom