Governor Schwarzenegger - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2003, 12:38 PM   #76
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:35 AM
He was just researching for a role...

Old 09-04-2003, 01:19 PM   #77
Refugee

Local Time: 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Enron "ties" from a "secret" meeting two years ago???
That's the biggest complaint you have with the assertations in the article? Not to get too off-topic, but I thought the detailings of the Bush administration's role in the energy crisis were pretty serious.

Edited to add:
Since the reason for the Davis recall is all about the energy crisis, I think Arnold's meeting with Kenneth Lay is certainly relevent. Of course it happened two years ago. That's when Enron imploded.

Old 09-04-2003, 01:42 PM   #78
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by ThatGuy
That's the biggest complaint you have with the assertations in the article? Not to get too off-topic, but I thought the detailings of the Bush administration's role in the energy crisis were pretty serious.
I only read the portion of the opinion piece that you posted. I found it somewhat laughable that Schwarzenegger was being tied to the Enron scandal.

Quote:
Originally posted by ThatGuy
Edited to add:
Since the reason for the Davis recall is all about the energy crisis, I think Arnold's meeting with Kenneth Lay is certainly relevent. Of course it happened two years ago. That's when Enron imploded.
First, the recall is driven by a number of issues, not just the energy crisis.

Second, with Gov. Davis receiving $119,500 in contributions from Enron, I think you would have more concern with Davis that from one alleged "secret" meeting.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:26 PM   #79
Refugee

Actually, I'm more concerned with President Bush's $1,889,206 in contributions from oil and gas industries in the 2000 election and how that may have affected the actions of the Federal Energy Regulatory Comission. Given Davis's and the Bush administration's actions during the crisis, and who was sitting on who's hands at the time, I feel this is far more important.

Also, while the recall was prompted by many issues (such as the budget deficit) one of the main ones was Davis's alleged mishandling of the energy crisis.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:29 PM   #80
Blue Crack Addict

True. No one has ever stated that Davis handled the situation well.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:32 PM   #81
Refugee

You obviously still haven't read the entire article.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:36 PM   #82
Blue Crack Addict

Sounds like an opinion piece painting Davis as a victim. I'll try to get to it later.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:39 PM   #83
Refugee

I doubt you'll agree with any of it anyway. Still, given the authority of the author, and the traditionally conservative slant of his employer, I think it raises some interesting points.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:51 PM   #84
The Fly

Local Time: 07:35 AM
Let's get the numbers right, it was around 90,000 over a five year period from 1997-2001. Sure that may be questionable, however for California politics, that is chump change.

Quote:

Second, with Gov. Davis receiving $119,500 in contributions from Enron, I think you would have more concern with Davis that from one alleged "secret" meeting.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:54 PM   #85
The Fly

Local Time: 07:35 AM
Quote:

I only read the portion of the opinion piece that you posted. I found it somewhat laughable that Schwarzenegger was being tied to the Enron scandal.

I just find it laughable that the Republicans are running to Schwarzenegger as their hero. Remember, this is the same political party that loves bashing Democrats for using celebrities as political spokesmen.
I guess the Republicans are just happy that they have a celebrity that isn't washed up like Tom Selleck, Bo Derek, Wayne Newton, and Chuck Norris........ Wait a second, Arnold is washed up, my bad.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:56 PM   #86
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Skwege
Let's get the numbers right, it was around 90,000 over a five year period from 1997-2001. Sure that may be questionable, however for California politics, that is chump change.
Sorry, I was relying on the LA Times. And your source is.....
Old 09-04-2003, 05:27 PM   #87
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Skwege

I just find it laughable that the Republicans are running to Schwarzenegger as their hero. Remember, this is the same political party that loves bashing Democrats for using celebrities as political spokesmen.
I guess the Republicans are just happy that they have a celebrity that isn't washed up like Tom Selleck, Bo Derek, Wayne Newton, and Chuck Norris........ Wait a second, Arnold is washed up, my bad.

Yes, Hannity and Limbaugh rub their pudgy hands together with glee and praise the almighty Arnold even though he is pro-choice, pro gun control, pro gay marriage, etc...

These guys have set a new standard in hypocrisy.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:32 PM   #88
Blue Crack Addict

Because all Republicans must believe a certain way, of course.....
Old 09-04-2003, 06:06 PM   #89
Refugee

Somewhat unrelated, but interesting

This site is run by the California Secretary of State and lists campaign contributions to California politicians back to the year 2000.
http://cal-access.ss.ca.gov/

Here are Enron's contributions in the year 2000:
http://cal-access.ss.ca.gov/Campaign...s&session=1999
Lots of Democrats on that list, including Gray Davis to the tune of $10,000 and the Democratic National Committee for $28,794.

Interestingly, the next year (2001) Enron gave more heavily to Republicans, including $50,000 to the Californian Republican Party.
http://cal-access.ss.ca.gov/Campaign...=contributions

It's a really good site if you're into California politics. I learned that not only did Ahnold sink $2 million into his own campaign, but that he also refused to accept voluntary campaign spending limits set by Proposition 34. Also that Attorney General Bill Lockyer already has $10 million for his next campaign in 2006!
Old 09-04-2003, 06:09 PM   #90
Blue Crack Addict

Anyone who champions campaign financing reform would simply barf if they knew how it was being abused for this recall election.

Mark you calendars - line up the biggest contributors to date (contributions in the $2 - $5 million range) and see how they are "paid off" after the election.