Governor Schwarzenegger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nbcrusader said:
Please, start the "Arnold is the cause of all violence in America" mantra.

The fact that he is in lame action movies has nothing to do with the fact that he is no more credible a candidate than Gary Coleman.

Oh yes of course, it was all Gray Davis's fault that Enron raped the state for 40 billion. Also we went to two wars in the last two years, just as Gray Davis planned. Also Cancer kills millions each year, just as Gray Davis wanted!

Again, it may be helpful to do some research. Davis was the single largest recipient of campaign contributions from Enron. He saw the crisis and only hoped it would go away. His resolution has cost the citizens of this state plenty.

nbcrusader said:
Again, it may be helpful to do some research. Davis was the single largest recipient of campaign contributions from Enron. He saw the crisis and only hoped it would go away. His resolution has cost the citizens of this state plenty.

Sounds like your definition of research is listening to Sean Hannity and reading Ann Coulter.
When you start seriously backing up your statements, then we can have a serious discussion. Otherwise don't waste my time with repeating what you saw on the Fox News Ticker.

Skwege said:
Sounds like your definition of research is listening to Sean Hannity and reading Ann Coulter.
When you start seriously backing up your statements, then we can have a serious discussion. Otherwise don't waste my time with repeating what you saw on the Fox News Ticker.

Like your statement that
Enron raped the state for 40 billion

Keep kidding yourself about conservatives -you'll go far.

Sorry, child, I'm not going to waste anymore time with you.

nbcrusader said:

Like your statement that .

Keep kidding yourself about conservatives -you'll go far.

Sorry, child, I'm not going to waste anymore time with you.

Oh im sorry, 32 billion. That makes it so much better.
If it wasn't for the fact that Arnold's father was a Nazi, he would have no credibility with Republicans.

Skwege said:

If it wasn't for the fact that Arnold's father was a Nazi, he would have no credibility with Republicans.

Was he? I never heard of that. You may be mixing him up with another Austrian politicain, Haider, maybe? :huh:

Arnold's father was a member of the Nazi party in Austria. Back in 1990, Arnold asked the Simon Wiesenthal Center to investigate his father. He rejected his father's beliefs and has worked with Wiesenthal Center to fight anti-semitism. In fact, in 1991, Arnold received the Wiesenthal Center's National Leadership Award.

The information was resurfaced when Arnold first indicated that he was considering a run for office. Davis is well known on both sides of the isle for his dirty campaigns.

nbcrusader said:
Arnold's father was a member of the Nazi party in Austria. Back in 1990, Arnold asked the Simon Wiesenthal Center to investigate his father. He rejected his father's beliefs and has worked with Wiesenthal Center to fight anti-semitism. In fact, in 1991, Arnold received the Wiesenthal Center's National Leadership Award.

The information was resurfaced when Arnold first indicated that he was considering a run for office. Davis is well known on both sides of the isle for his dirty campaigns.

Arnolds problem is that he doesnt check up on people he associates with. Joerg Haider, and Kurt Waldheim, come directly to mind. To Arnold's credit he has long since denounced Haider. Also of course he shouldnt be held responsible for his fathers actions, nonetheless alot of voters (particularly elderly) are very sensitive when it comes to anything to do with the Nazis.
In all honesty, Arnold needs to just come clean on what he plans to do with California, besides redundant one liners.

I really don't know CA politics but I did watch the debates tonight.

I thought McLinitoch(?) was a beady eye jerk with a monotone Conservative Idealogy and SUNK.

Hasta La Vista baybe

Last edited:
Was there something in particular you didn't like about McClintock, or is it a general disdain for conservatives?

Last edited:
I thought McClintock looked like a ventriliquist (sp?) There were sounds coming from his mouth, but his lips don't move. Very strange.

I watched the debates. I think McClintock would do as well as anyone else. They all just talk in such broad terms and never really lay anything specific on the table except Bustamonte. He actually has some specifics that he talks about. The rest say - We have a deficit, I will balance the budget. I won't work with special interests (yeah right). Our schools need more funding, I will do that...... blah blah, but they don't say how, except for Bustamonte.

Here's an interesting article from a Sacramento weekly newspaper. Not only does it show Arnold's Enron ties, but also sheds more light on the federal government's role in the California energy crisis.

Total amnesia

Arnold can?t seem to recall anything about his secret meeting with Enron?s Ken Lay. Perhaps this will refresh his memory.

By Jason Leopold

(who spent two years covering California's energy crisis as bureau chief of Dow Jones Newswires and is currently working on a book about the crisis)

Arnold Schwarzenegger isn't talking. The Hollywood action-film star and GOP gubernatorial candidate in the state?s recall election has been unusually silent about his plans for running the Golden State. He hasn?t yet offered a solution for the state?s budget deficit, an issue that largely got more than 1 million people to sign a petition to recall Governor Gray Davis.

More importantly, however, Schwarzenegger still won?t respond to questions about why he was at the Peninsula Hotel in Beverly Hills two years ago where he, former Los Angeles Mayor Richard Riordan and junk-bond king Michael Milken met secretly with former Enron Chairman Kenneth Lay, who was touting a plan for solving the state?s energy crisis . . .

The full article can be found here:
http://www.newsreview.com/issues/sacto/2003-08-28/essay.asp

nbcrusader said:
Enron "ties" from a "secret" meeting two years ago???

That's the biggest complaint you have with the assertations in the article? Not to get too off-topic, but I thought the detailings of the Bush administration's role in the energy crisis were pretty serious.

Edited to add:
Since the reason for the Davis recall is all about the energy crisis, I think Arnold's meeting with Kenneth Lay is certainly relevent. Of course it happened two years ago. That's when Enron imploded.

Last edited:
ThatGuy said:
That's the biggest complaint you have with the assertations in the article? Not to get too off-topic, but I thought the detailings of the Bush administration's role in the energy crisis were pretty serious.

I only read the portion of the opinion piece that you posted. I found it somewhat laughable that Schwarzenegger was being tied to the Enron scandal.

ThatGuy said:
Edited to add:
Since the reason for the Davis recall is all about the energy crisis, I think Arnold's meeting with Kenneth Lay is certainly relevent. Of course it happened two years ago. That's when Enron imploded.

First, the recall is driven by a number of issues, not just the energy crisis.

Second, with Gov. Davis receiving $119,500 in contributions from Enron, I think you would have more concern with Davis that from one alleged "secret" meeting.

Actually, I'm more concerned with President Bush's $1,889,206 in contributions from oil and gas industries in the 2000 election and how that may have affected the actions of the Federal Energy Regulatory Comission. Given Davis's and the Bush administration's actions during the crisis, and who was sitting on who's hands at the time, I feel this is far more important.

Also, while the recall was prompted by many issues (such as the budget deficit) one of the main ones was Davis's alleged mishandling of the energy crisis.

I doubt you'll agree with any of it anyway. Still, given the authority of the author, and the traditionally conservative slant of his employer, I think it raises some interesting points.

Let's get the numbers right, it was around 90,000 over a five year period from 1997-2001. Sure that may be questionable, however for California politics, that is chump change.

nbcrusader said:

Second, with Gov. Davis receiving $119,500 in contributions from Enron, I think you would have more concern with Davis that from one alleged "secret" meeting.

nbcrusader said:

I only read the portion of the opinion piece that you posted. I found it somewhat laughable that Schwarzenegger was being tied to the Enron scandal.

I just find it laughable that the Republicans are running to Schwarzenegger as their hero. Remember, this is the same political party that loves bashing Democrats for using celebrities as political spokesmen.
I guess the Republicans are just happy that they have a celebrity that isn't washed up like Tom Selleck, Bo Derek, Wayne Newton, and Chuck Norris........ Wait a second, Arnold is washed up, my bad.

Skwege said:
Let's get the numbers right, it was around 90,000 over a five year period from 1997-2001. Sure that may be questionable, however for California politics, that is chump change.

Sorry, I was relying on the LA Times. And your source is.....

Skwege said:

I just find it laughable that the Republicans are running to Schwarzenegger as their hero. Remember, this is the same political party that loves bashing Democrats for using celebrities as political spokesmen.
I guess the Republicans are just happy that they have a celebrity that isn't washed up like Tom Selleck, Bo Derek, Wayne Newton, and Chuck Norris........ Wait a second, Arnold is washed up, my bad.

Yes, Hannity and Limbaugh rub their pudgy hands together with glee and praise the almighty Arnold even though he is pro-choice, pro gun control, pro gay marriage, etc...

These guys have set a new standard in hypocrisy.

Somewhat unrelated, but interesting

This site is run by the California Secretary of State and lists campaign contributions to California politicians back to the year 2000.
http://cal-access.ss.ca.gov/

Here are Enron's contributions in the year 2000:
http://cal-access.ss.ca.gov/Campaig...px?id=1011642&view=contributions&session=1999
Lots of Democrats on that list, including Gray Davis to the tune of $10,000 and the Democratic National Committee for $28,794.

Interestingly, the next year (2001) Enron gave more heavily to Republicans, including $50,000 to the Californian Republican Party.
http://cal-access.ss.ca.gov/Campaig...px?id=1011642&session=2001&view=contributions

It's a really good site if you're into California politics. I learned that not only did Ahnold sink $2 million into his own campaign, but that he also refused to accept voluntary campaign spending limits set by Proposition 34. Also that Attorney General Bill Lockyer already has $10 million for his next campaign in 2006! :eek:

Anyone who champions campaign financing reform would simply barf if they knew how it was being abused for this recall election.

Mark you calendars - line up the biggest contributors to date (contributions in the $2 - $5 million range) and see how they are "paid off" after the election.

Back
Top Bottom