Governor Schwarzenegger - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2003, 01:41 AM   #151
Refugee

Local Time: 05:31 AM
It will be ineteresting to see how Governor Arnold compares to Campaigner Arnold. I didn't vote for him, but I'm willing to give him a chance.

Of course, I said something similar after the 2000 presidential election, so I'm not setting my hopes too high ...

Actually it will be interesting to see how much things change, if at all. For while we've elected a new governor, the members of the state legislature are still the same.

Old 10-08-2003, 01:47 AM   #152
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by ThatGuy
It will be ineteresting to see how Governor Arnold compares to Campaigner Arnold. I didn't vote for him, but I'm willing to give him a chance.

Of course, I said something similar after the 2000 presidential election, so I'm not setting my hopes too high ...

Actually it will be interesting to see how much things change, if at all. For while we've elected a new governor, the members of the state legislature are still the same.
Yea I'll give him a chance to. I love Arnold the movie star but I didn't vote for him because he is a Republican. We shall see.

Old 10-08-2003, 03:50 AM   #153
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:31 PM
Another politician to laugh at.

Yay America.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:47 AM   #154
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:31 AM
I don't imagine that this is a total disaster, if only because Arnold's fairly "liberal" platform. I guess if Clark can be called a Democrat in name only, then Arnold, perhaps, is a Republican in name only...lol.

But one thing I never understood was the charge by Democrats that the recall "subverted" democracy. On the contrary, the entire reason for the existence of the recall (one of the lasting relics of the Progressive movement of c. 1900-1920) was to *bring* democracy to the people, and allow them to hold their elected officials accountable not only on election years, but during their entire term. To be honest, despite the fact that pundits called this a "circus," this recall election was probably the most "democratic" election west of Louisiana.

But Arnold will have his moment of truth as well. Isn't there going to be the standard election for governor next year, as the term runs out? What fun...

Melon
Old 10-08-2003, 09:19 AM   #155
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:31 PM

What, so Arnold has been elected to finish Davis' term, and then next year the circus starts all over again? What a waste of resources, why not elect him for a full term starting now?
Old 10-08-2003, 09:39 AM   #156
War Child

This is a joke, uh, right?
Old 10-08-2003, 09:51 AM   #157
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:31 PM
Hmm, I think melon has made a small mistake (not being a US citizen I'm not so sure about that of course). Davis was re-elected last November. Assuming that a governor is elected for 4 years that would mean the term ends in 2006. So Arnie will still have 3 years to fullfil (sp?) his promises.

Marty
Old 10-08-2003, 10:40 AM   #158
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:31 AM
The beauty of America...
A man doesn't have to have a great grasp of the English Language. He doesn't have to stand strongly on the issues. His past doesn't matter.

If you have a recognizable name and an R next to it, you'll get elected.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:47 AM   #159
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
So Jay Leno introduced him last night?
Old 10-08-2003, 10:50 AM   #160
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Austria's reaction to his win:

[q]Austria hails Arnie victory
People across Austria have been celebrating local boy Arnold Schwarzenegger's victory in California's elections.
The result, which was covered live on Austrian TV, delighted residents of his home region of Styria.

Politicians of all colours saluted his success and expressed the hope that he would boost Austria's image in America.

Mr Schwarzenegger's meteoric body-building, Hollywood and political careers followed humble beginnings in his native country, which he left 35 years ago.

The new governor has dual Austrian and US citizenship.

'Totally excited'

Residents of the Styrian capital, Graz, breakfasting on scrambled eggs and coffee in a local bar, broke into cheers as the new governor's speech was broadcast live.

Perhaps Americans might now stop mixing Austria up with Australia
Dieter Hardt-Stremayr
Graz tourist office
And in Mr Schwarzenegger's home town of Thal, mayor Peter Urdl, a social democrat, raised a glass of champagne to his former fellow school pupil.
"I can barely find the words. It is really super," he told Reuters news agency. "We are all sitting in front of the television and are totally excited."

Schoolfriend Josef Heinzl dismissed allegations that Mr Schwarzenegger had groped women on film sets.

"I have no doubt that he'll be one of the best governors California has ever had," he said. "He's a good man, a family man, and he stands for the people, not just for business alone."

'Busy line'

"His only flaw is that he is a Republican," joked restaurant owner Karl Kling, who also grew up with Mr Schwarzenegger.

Now the sun will never set on Austria - when the sun goes down over Austria, it will be rising over Sacramento
Waltraud Klasnic
Styria governor
Local tourist officials were also pleased by the result.
"Mozart is no longer the world's most famous Austrian," Dieter Hardt-Stremayr of Graz tourist office told AFP news agency.

"Perhaps Americans might now stop mixing Austria up with Australia."

Mr Schwarzenegger still has family in Austria, though cousin Monika Ficszko told Austrian TV she had been unable to congratulate him.

"I have his mobile number but I can't get through," she said. "The line's always busy."

'Brilliant victory'

Praise of Mr Schwarzenegger also came from the country's top politicians.

"Austria congratulates you on this brilliant victory," said Chancellor Wolfgang Schuessel.

"His success - first in sports, then professionally and now in politics - demonstrate to America and the world how good Austrians are," said Foreign Minister Benita Ferrero-Waldner.

Styria governor Waltraud Klasnic said Austria could only benefit from American interest in Mr Schwarzenegger's roots.

"Now the sun will never set on Austria," she said. "When the sun goes down over Austria, it will be rising over Sacramento."

Joerg Haider, far-right governor of Carinthia province, also congratulated Mr Schwarzenegger.

"His victory is a distinction which will boost Austria in the United States," he said.

Story from BBC NEWS[/q]
Old 10-08-2003, 11:30 AM   #161
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

A man doesn't have to have a great grasp of the English Language.
That isn't quite true. He's been in America for 30 years, and in that time he's learned English just fine. If you're referring to his thick Austrian accent, I remember reading a magazine article about ten years ago that talked about that. Apparently he was starting to lose that trademark accent, so he trained with a linguist to help preserve it.

And referring to your original quote, that didn't stop GWB from being elected, did it?
Old 10-08-2003, 11:31 AM   #162
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth
What, so Arnold has been elected to finish Davis' term
Yes, but I will readily admit that I don't remember how much of that term has been filled. If Davis was elected last year, then, yes, there are three more years for Arnold.

Melon
Old 10-08-2003, 03:01 PM   #163
Babyface

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

Early returns indicate that Arnold won the support of the majority of women voters today. This was according to CNN.
-i believe this election was a landslide...
--i also believe most of california population and voters saw thru the shenanigans and gutter politics of the of the opposing side..
---even the girls figured it out.
----i think also "over-polictical-correctness" took a backseat to common sense.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:05 PM   #164
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by julles

---even the girls figured it out.
----i think also "over-polictical-correctness" took a backseat to common sense.
Nice.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:12 PM   #165
Blue Crack Addict

I think it's because he's famous.