Gov. Mitt Romney's Supposed "Record" in MA...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
I'm probably not the only one having read this article...

Mass. Gov. Romney to Skip Re-Election Bid
By GLEN JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer
Thu Dec 15, 6:45 AM ET

After earning two Harvard degrees, making millions as a businessman and turning around a scandal-plagued Winter Olympics, Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney has created quite a list of accomplishments, some political analysts say. Those analysts believe the Republican announced Wednesday he will not to seek re-election next year because he did not want to risk tarnishing his resume if he decides to run for president in 2008.

By forgoing a second term, he will allow himself to campaign unimpeded for the presidency should he so choose, and not subject himself to the political whims of the heavily Democratic state in the run-up to the next presidential election.

"I don't think he had a choice if he was serious about running for the nomination in '07 or '08," said Scott Reed, who managed Bob Dole's 1996 GOP presidential campaign.

Stuart Rothenberg, an independent political analyst in Washington, had a similar assessment.

"He doesn't want to run for re-election because he could possibly get beat," Rothenberg said. "And he doesn't want to run for re-election because he could possibly win, and then have to turn around and start running for president immediately. This allows him to leave with his record intact and turn his focus to the next challenge."

Romney said he had been successful in closing a $3 billion budget deficit without raising taxes; presiding over public schools that recently scored first in national math and science tests; and reaching the cusp of a comprehensive overhaul of health insurance in Massachusetts.

"My decision comes down to this: In this four-year term, we can accomplish what I set out to do. In fact, we've already accomplished a great deal," he said.

Democrats, though, pounced on Wednesday's announcement, accusing Romney of abandoning the state.

"For the past 16 years of Republican rule in this state there hasn't been one Republican governor with any long term commitment to Massachusetts," said Phil Johnston, chairman of the Massachusetts Democratic Party.

The news was not a complete surprise since Romney declared earlier this year that he was "testing the waters" for a White House run. He said Wednesday only that the decision was "down the road" and "a lifetime away."

He has spent considerable time traveling to early voting states such as Iowa and New Hampshire, and has sprinkled campaign cash across the country from a so-called leadership PAC used by presidential aspirants.

He also has distanced himself from the liberal political culture in Massachusetts, vetoing a bill to expand emergency contraception, and campaigning against a 2003 ruling by the Massachusetts' highest court that made the state the first in the nation to allow same-sex couples to wed.

Romney, 58, is the son of former Michigan Gov. George Romney, who ran unsuccessfully for the presidency in 1968. Mitt Romney received his B.A. in 1971 from Brigham Young University, dual degrees in 1975 from Harvard Business and Law schools, and went on to found a Boston venture capital firm before running the 2002 Olympic Winter Games in Salt Lake City.

His only major failing was an unsuccessful campaign against Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, D-Mass., in 1994.

In an October speech to a Washington think tank, Romney cast himself as "a red speck in a blue state," one of similar comments across the country that have been viewed as disparaging to Massachusetts, land of the Kennedys and two failed Democratic presidential candidates.

Should he run for president, Romney will need to break through a pack of more prominent Republicans, including Sen. John McCain of Arizona and former New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani.[/B]

What annoys me about this article is the fact that they give him too much credit for Massachusetts' performance. Why? Because Massachusetts' politics are so heavily Democratic that the state legislature is well over 3/4 Democratic and has been for over a decade, meaning they have rendered the office of the governor to, essentially, a figurehead position. Any progress in the state in terms of closing budget deficits and state school testing would not have been his doing, but the Legislature's. Chances are, Romney bitched and moaned about a bill, vetoed it, and the heavily Democratic legislature overrode the veto as they do every time.

So why does this article have such a glaring omission? Did the reporter get his facts from a Romney-issued press release?

Melon

I'm sure that the Republican primaries are going to be kind to the Mormon. Watch for him to be at the very bottom of the pack.

i hate mitt romney so much.... and so does massachusetts. here's a man who won an election because he appeared in a swimsuit in his ad campaign. he's so incredibly horrible, and looking at him makes me cringe. i miss the duke...

Mitt and the Republican party deserve a pat on the back for Ed reform....PERIOD

It started with Weld and has continued through Romney...

and the legislature had some to do with it...

But the Republican Control over the Board of Education is responsible more than ANY legislature....

And Romney is not leaving because he is hated....lol He would win again....it may have been close...but he would have won. He could not win MA and the Presidency. He has made his choice...

anitram said:
I'm sure that the Republican primaries are going to be kind to the Mormon. Watch for him to be at the very bottom of the pack.

'the Mormon'?

now that's broadminded liberal polictical correctness.

'the Mormon'

:sexywink:

he is a handsome hunk though, wouldn't ya say?

db9
MittandAnnRomney.jpg

Originally posted by diamond

he is a handsome hunk though, wouldn't ya say?

No, and his hair never moves either

I guess some people find self-serving flip floppers attractive. Some people will vote for him because they can't see through the facade, just like they couldn't see through Bush's :shrug: That article conveniently leaves out the hatchet he took to social programs for needy people, the state park system, and many other programs- and the fact that so many people are forced to leave MA for financial reasons. It also leaves out his lovely putdowns of MA for its' "liberalism" now that he is going to run for President. It also leaves out how he just tried to allow Catholic and other private hospitals to refuse to give the morning after pill to rape victims.

Romney Changes Hospital Contraception Rules

By GLEN JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer

Gov. Mitt Romney abandoned plans Thursday to exempt Roman Catholic and other private hospitals from a new law requiring them to dispense emergency contraception to rape victims.

Romney had initially backed regulations proposed earlier this week by his public health commissioner, Paul Cote Jr., who said the new law conflicted with an older law barring the state from forcing private hospitals to dispense contraceptive devices or information.

The Republican governor, who is considering a run for president in 2008, said he asked his legal advisers to review the matter after members of both parties criticized the regulations. He said the lawyers determined that the new law superseded the old law and that all hospitals should be required to offer the so-called "morning-after pill."

"On that basis I have instructed the Department of Public Health to follow the conclusion of my own legal counsel and to adopt that sounder view," Romney said.

"In my personal view, it's the right thing for hospitals to provide information and access to emergency contraception to anyone who is a victim of rape," he added.

The new law takes effect Dec. 14. Passed this summer by the Legislature, which then overrode Romney's veto, it states that the pill must be available to "each female rape victim."

Lt. Gov. Kerry Healey, the likely GOP nominee for governor next year if Romney decides not to seek re-election, had broken ranks with the governor on the issue, saying Wednesday that all hospitals should be required to distribute the pill.

Attorney General Tom Reilly, a Democrat planning to run for governor next year, said Romney's initial legal interpretation was "a backdoor regulation" and would not have survived court challenge. He also highlighted the focus of the law: victims of rape.

"It's a horrible thing to happen to anybody," Reilly said. "You don't want to make it any worse, and this administration was on a road that would have made it worse for women in that position."

The emergency contraception pill is a high dose of hormones that women can take up to five days after sex to prevent pregnancy. Opponents who believe life begins at conception contend the pill is little different from an abortion because it blocks the fertilized egg from being implanted on the uterine wall.

Romney spokesman Eric Fehrnstrom had said the governor supported allowing hospitals to opt out on religious or moral grounds because an exemption "respects the views of health care facilities that are guided by moral principles on this issue."

Caritas Christi Health Care, which is owned by the Catholic Church and is the second-largest health care system in New England, said in a statement it provides emergency contraception to female patients, but only those who are not already pregnant.

Critics said the proposed regulations were an attempt by the Romney administration to cater to conservative primary voters.

"I think this has more to do with political ambitions," said state Sen. Susan Fargo, a Democrat who supports the bill. "Unfortunately you can't decide where you are going to be raped so you can be near the best hospital for that."

Seven other states require hospitals to provide emergency contraception to rape victims, and none include exemptions for religious and moral reasons. Three Illinois pharmacists filed a complaint with regulators in that state this week alleging they were dismissed from their jobs after refusing to fill prescriptions for the pill.

nbcrusader said:
So, the dems want him to stick around? Sounds like they like Romney as governor.

It's just sabre-rattling, really. They're just pointing out the fact that their Republican governors have a habit of resigning and heading out to greener pastures. That's probably because, more than anything, the fact that they're generally just figureheads. I would imagine it would be frustrating to be in a position where the Legislature can do whatever it wants without even caring what the governor does.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom