Gov. Mark Warner grants clemency for would-be 1000th execution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2democrat

Blue Crack Addict
For the full story: http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/11/29/landmark.execution.ap/index.html

Governor spares convicted murderer
Killer would have been 1,000th execution since 1976

Tuesday, November 29, 2005; Posted: 6:16 p.m. EST (23:16 GMT)

RICHMOND, Virginia (AP) -- Gov. Mark R. Warner granted clemency Tuesday to a convicted killer who would have been the 1,000th person executed in the United States since the Supreme Court reinstated capital punishment in 1976.

I'm SO proud to have him as our outgoing governor. :D This only makes me more proud.

VertigoGal said:
he's declined to grant clemency before though, right? was this case different enough that he could effectively claim there was no political motivation? :hmm:

DNA that could have absolved him was destroyed by the prosecution...yes it was different enough.

VertigoGal said:
oh right, I just heard that on the news. in any case I do think it was a good decision. :up:

would it have any effect on your support of capital punishment

if you learn other law inforcement agencies have destroyed evidence?

U2democrat said:

DNA that could have absolved him was destroyed by the prosecution...yes it was different enough.

That was the defense's argument.

This will probably come back to bite him in the next election.

i don't want to get into a huge debate, but i am in favor of the death penalty... that said, i agree with this decision based on this comment from the governor.

"The commonwealth must ensure that every time this ultimate sanction is carried out, it is done fairly," said Warner, who had never before granted clemency to a death row inmate.

in all likelyhood this person is 100% guilty... but if the DNA that could have assured that decision was, in fact, damaged or destroyed, then just let him rot in his cell.

I think this governor don`t want to be remembered as the person that made possible state murder No 1000.

Back
Top Bottom