Gov. Kaine's first hand account of his trip to Kuwait, Iraq, and Afghanistan.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2democrat

Blue Crack Addict
It's kind of a long read, but well worth it. There's a lot I'm sure many here will pick apart, but overall I agree with his thoughts and conclusions.

http://www.governor.virginia.gov/AboutTheGovernor/MideastJournal/index.cfm

Some of my favorite quotes:

I share the misgivings of many Americans about how we went into Iraq, particularly in the way pre-war intelligence was mishandled and in what I perceived to be inadequate planning for the necessary post-war stabilization of the country. I also have concerns about the way America’s pre-war conduct alienated valuable allies. But that does not diminish my admiration for the role of our military men and women, or my appreciation for their efforts to build democracy in the Middle East. As Commander-in-Chief of the Virginia Guard, I felt a special obligation to convey that respect to our troops serving on the front lines

We landed early Monday morning at Shannon Airport in Ireland for refueling, and immediately noticed a group of U.S. Marines headed home from Iraq. Due to the strict Islamic laws in Kuwait and Iraq, the soldiers told us, they had not seen or tasted alcohol in seven months. And even though it was early in the morning, the Marines were lining up to down pints of Guinness. Who could begrudge them?

As we flew back to Kuwait at the end of the long day, I was struck with two thoughts: First, my immense pride in the men and women of the Virginia National Guard, and, second, my belief that the United States will remain in Iraq for a long time.

Finally, there is this thought: the United States is the world’s great international power, and our successes and mistakes take on massive proportions due to our importance.

Our support for democracy in tough conditions is noble.

And our need to acknowledge the interconnected world, and bring more allies along with us, is critical.

Well we do have Quantico and the largest Naval Port...it's a major military state. As for our governor specifically going over there to visit, governors all across the nation have been doing it. I didn't mean to imply that Virginia had something extra at stake in the Middle-East over the other states.

Back
Top Bottom