GOP Traitors in a Time of War...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GOP Traitors in a Time of War...

STING2 said:

The United Nations passed three different resolutions authorizing the use of military force against Iraq if it failed to comply with the UN resolutions. In addition, since the invasion, the United Nations has passed another 3 resolutions approving the occupation!

Terrorist hate America. Many others around the world disagree with certain US policies, but many continue to work with the United States and send their own troops to support the operations in Afghanistan and Iraq. Japan has given several Billion dollars to the operations in Iraq as well as sending troops.

The United Kingdom has an entire Armored Division in Southern Iraq and is responisble for security and stability in that region. Poland, Ukraine, South Korea and Italy have all sent thousands of troops into Iraq.

Iraq today now has an opportunity that was impossible while Saddam was in power. They have the opportunity to develop into a strong democratic and prosperous country. The Planets security has been greatly enhanced by the removal of Saddam who was a threat to the planets large energy reserves located just across the Iraqi border in Kuwait and Suadi Arabia. Insuring that Iraq becomes a country that is not a threat to its neighbors and is a cooperative member of the international community will obviously enhance the security of the planet.

Its going to take a long time for Democracy to develop in Iraq, but the country already passed a hurdle that many on the left in here said was not possible. On January 30, 2005 over 8 million Iraqi's proved terrorist and foreign critics wrong when they woke up and voted in their countries first free election in decades.

No doubt, there will be terrorist launching attacks for years to come, followed by critics who will claim that that alone constitutes failure.

lovely. we've all heard these paragraphs before, and they have nothing to do with what i'm asking, and sounds like glittering, feel-good stuff cut-and-pasted from the Pentagon website.

where is your anger, STING? you love this war, you think it's a great idea, and you've got a million-and-one idealistic reasons for your support. where is your anger at those in charge of the war for screwing up the post-war so badly? if you support the war, where is your anger at the firing of Shinseki when he asked for more troops? if you support the war, where is your anger at the administration's failure to train an Iraqi army after abruptly dissolving it? if you support the war, where is your anger at the administration's inability to provide even a modicum of stability that would make things like the drafting of a Constitution, let alone the living of every day life, possible? if you support the war, where is your anger at the Defense Department's lowering of goals, changing the name of the "war on terror" to something far more vague, and plans to get out of Iraq? if you support the war, where is your anger at the administration for failing to understand that there is no Iraq, that Iraqis have no national identity but religious and ethnic identity?

your posts should not argue with people who opposed the war, but with people who screwed up your war.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GOP Traitors in a Time of War...

Irvine511 said:
your posts should not argue with people who opposed the war, but with people who screwed up your war.

I guess it's more important to Sting2 to argue with the 'far left' on here.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GOP Traitors in a Time of War...

financeguy said:

I guess it's more important to Sting2 to argue with the 'far left' on here.

i'm very serious though.

i think there are legitimate arguments to be made for the invasion of Iraq. i really do. i think we can say that the end of Saddam is a good thing. i think an election in a Middle Eastern country is a good thing. i think we can all agree that we want democracy in the Middle East.

however, i don't think this was the way to do that.

and i don't understand why people who want all this to happen waste their time defending an administration who, with each passing day, through their incompetence, have made these dreams ever more out of reach.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GOP Traitors in a Time of War...

Irvine511 said:

i suppose my question comes from my disappointment, if not outright outrage, at people (not necessarily you) who were very pro-war for very high and mighty reasons (establishment of a democracy in the heart of the Middle East! end US support of homocidal dictators! take down one of the earth's worst regimes!) who are still defending this administration's completely and totally inept conduct of the post-war.

if you really believed in the war, wouldn't you be demanding the heads of Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Cheney and Bush on a platter for fucking it all up so royally?

instead, i hear excuses, excuses, excuses for this pathetically inept administration.

There have indeed been tactical mistakes made during the occupation. But the administration has been right on more of the major strategic issues than the opposition has. This is why Bush was re-elected as President in November 2004, by the first majority seen in a US election in 16 years.

Removing Saddam's regime and building a new country out of the mess that Saddam had made will be a long and difficult process. During such time, it will be rather easy for critics to point to various things and claim that the administration has failed. But on the larger and far more reaching issues, if one will take some time to examine them, one will see progress and that things are moving foward.

Fact: At this time last year, the Iraqi military had only 1 Battalion, and it was arguably unfit for combat. Today there are over 100 Iraqi Army Battalions and 10 of those Battalions are well trained enough that they are used often interchangebly with US and coalition Battalions.

There has been an election, and the country is moving towards its first constitution after which there will be an election to elect a permanent government.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GOP Traitors in a Time of War...

STING2 said:
Fact: At this time last year, the Iraqi military had only 1 Battalion, and it was arguably unfit for combat. Today there are over 100 Iraqi Army Battalions and 10 of those Battalions are well trained enough that they are used often interchangebly with US and coalition Battalions.

Guess that shows your mindset loud and clear. 'Progress' involves building up a nice big fat military.

And by the way, stop implying that only leftists were against the Iraq war. I have said to you time and time again that there were/ are many, many conservative opponents of the Iraq war.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GOP Traitors in a Time of War...

STING2 said:

There have indeed been tactical mistakes made during the occupation. But the administration has been right on more of the major strategic issues than the opposition has. This is why Bush was re-elected as President in November 2004, by the first majority seen in a US election in 16 years.

Removing Saddam's regime and building a new country out of the mess that Saddam had made will be a long and difficult process. During such time, it will be rather easy for critics to point to various things and claim that the administration has failed. But on the larger and far more reaching issues, if one will take some time to examine them, one will see progress and that things are moving foward.

There has been an election, and the country is moving towards its first constitution after which there will be an election to elect a permanent government.

Bush's re-election has nothing to do with whether or not they have been "right" on strategy, pre- or post-war. it has everything to do with the American people's perspective on those issues, it is emphatically NOT empirical evidence that vindicates the administration's decision to invade. you continuously conflate the two.

if you want to talk about that, Bush is at 1968 Johnson approval levels (34% vs 32%) when it comes to the American people's approval of how he is conducting the war, particularly in light of little observable progress and increasing waves of violence.

many people have looked at the progress, or lack thereof, being made, and have decided that things are not getting better, they are getting worse and it's precisely because of religious and ethnic loyalties that were grossly underestimated by the administration. from a big mess, you can pull out bits and pieces and declare them progress, but it's nearly impossible to show any measurable benefits that the invasion of Iraq has given the United States. (Iran seems quite happy, though)

Yeah...I'm just gonna stay out of the meat and potatoes of this debate and simply say that I agree with this:

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
No one has the right to make war, and no war is a "just" war. Obviously, some people think they have the right, which always leads to more pain and suffering one can imagine.

:up:. I just wish people could start finding ways to solve problems without having to resort to wars to do so, too. But that's apparently too idealistic, I guess.

Also, I agree that both Democrats and Republicans have been known to botch things up regarding wars and whatnot in the past. Neither side is perfect.

*Shuts up now and meanders on over to the sidelines*

Angela

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GOP Traitors in a Time of War...

Irvine511 said:

lovely. we've all heard these paragraphs before, and they have nothing to do with what i'm asking, and sounds like glittering, feel-good stuff cut-and-pasted from the Pentagon website.

where is your anger, STING? you love this war, you think it's a great idea, and you've got a million-and-one idealistic reasons for your support. where is your anger at those in charge of the war for screwing up the post-war so badly? if you support the war, where is your anger at the firing of Shinseki when he asked for more troops? if you support the war, where is your anger at the administration's failure to train an Iraqi army after abruptly dissolving it? if you support the war, where is your anger at the administration's inability to provide even a modicum of stability that would make things like the drafting of a Constitution, let alone the living of every day life, possible? if you support the war, where is your anger at the Defense Department's lowering of goals, changing the name of the "war on terror" to something far more vague, and plans to get out of Iraq? if you support the war, where is your anger at the administration for failing to understand that there is no Iraq, that Iraqis have no national identity but religious and ethnic identity?

My thoughts above were not cut and past from some Pentagon website nor have I ever said that I "love war". I've supported the war for realistic reasons having to do with longterm US and global security needs in the region. Realism, not idealism, is behind the main reasons for supporting the war.

Shinseski was not fired when he asked for more troops. The Iraqi army now has 100 battalions with 10 well trained enough that they can perform any mission that US battalion of Marines could. A year ago there was only one battalion.

Unfortunately, it may be news to you that of Iraq's 18 provinces, 14 of them have been peaceful for most of the past 2 years since the invasion. There is a serious insurgency going on in the 4 majority Sunni provinces where Saddam had the base of his support. Everyday life is possible in Iraq and over 20 million Iraqi's, primarily in the provinces that have limited or no insurgency, go about it every day. 8 million people voted in a public election on January 30. How was that possible if Iraq is in fact the way you describe?

There is an Iraqi identity. Hundreds of Thousands of Iraqi's died fighting Iran in the Iran/Iraq war. Whats more, most of them were Shia's who are supposedly loyal to Iran rather than Iraq depending on which critic you listen to. This is not to say there are no tribal divisions because there are. But just because you have these ethnic differences and tribal divisions does not mean there is no "Iraqi identity".

Helping Iraq develop into a democracy was something that the administration new was going to take a long time, with or without an insurgency in the Northwestern part of the country. Nation Building is a challenging task even under the best of circumstances. It took years to get South Vietnam to the point where it could defend itself with only limited US involvement. It would have taken several more years of that limited US involvement to insure that the country could defend itself independent of the United States from North Vietnam. Unfortunately, the US congress and public pulled the plug on US involvement in Vietnam before South Vietnam had reached that point where it could take care of itself. The result was the brutal invasion and occupation of South Vietnam by North Vietnam in 1975.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GOP Traitors in a Time of War...

Irvine511 said:

Bush's re-election has nothing to do with whether or not they have been "right" on strategy, pre- or post-war. it has everything to do with the American people's perspective on those issues, it is emphatically NOT empirical evidence that vindicates the administration's decision to invade. you continuously conflate the two.

if you want to talk about that, Bush is at 1968 Johnson approval levels (34% vs 32%) when it comes to the American people's approval of how he is conducting the war, particularly in light of little observable progress and increasing waves of violence.

many people have looked at the progress, or lack thereof, being made, and have decided that things are not getting better, they are getting worse and it's precisely because of religious and ethnic loyalties that were grossly underestimated by the administration. from a big mess, you can pull out bits and pieces and declare them progress, but it's nearly impossible to show any measurable benefits that the invasion of Iraq has given the United States. (Iran seems quite happy, though)

There is NOTHING more important in a presidential election than the war itself. The most costly thing any President can do is take a nation to war. The most accurate guage of how people really felt in this country about the war in Iraq was the November 2004 election! It was not a "POLL" of 1,000 people with questionable polling questions. It was a presidential election where more than 120 million people VOTED! President Johnson did not participate in any Presidential election while American combat Units were on the ground in Vietnam, Bush was just recently in a presidential election with 20 Brigades of combat troops on the ground in Iraq and he won by the first majority ever seen in a presidential election since 1988!

There are plenty of measurable benefits from the invasion of Iraq if one understands the enormous consequences and risk the region and the planet had to suffer with while Saddam was in power the previous 24 years.

The fact is, one could list hundreds of things that show progress, but some people, for political or other reasons, are only interested in the bad things that happen and how it makes those that they are politically opposed to look.

melon said:
I disagree with Pat Buchanan enough that I'd never vote for him, but his consistent candor makes you feel as if he actually believes what he says, rather than merely being political hypocrites...

...like all the other illustrious members of the GOP above. :wink:

This is my favorite quote:

"Victory means exit strategy, and it's important for the President to explain to us what the exit strategy is." -Governor George W. Bush (R-TX)

Tell us, President Bush, what is your "exit strategy"?

Melon

Senator Rick Santorum (R-PA)
-Sean Hannity, Fox News, 4/5/99
-Representative Tom Delay (R-TX)
-Senator Trent Lott (R-MS)
Tony Snow, Fox News 3/24/99
-Joe Scarborough (R-FL
Senator Inhofe (R-OK )
-Senator Don Nickles (R-OK)
Senator Richard Lugar (R-IN)
-Pat Buchanan (R)
-Michael Savage
-Representative Helen Chenoweth (R-ID)
Bob Djurdjevic, founder of Truth in Media

I was disappointed and disagreed with the postions of the 13 people you qouted above on the Kosovo war back in 1999. But those 13 people are not representive of all Republicans on that issue back in 1999. Despite the fact that President Clinton had just been impeached and his party was the minority party in congress, many Republicans supported the presidents policy in Kosovo at that time.

The exit strategy in Iraq is to develop the Iraqi military so it can defend the country without the help of US troops, and to help the country develop politically and economically.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GOP Traitors in a Time of War...

STING2 said:

There is NOTHING more important in a presidential election than the war itself. The most costly thing any President can do is take a nation to war. The most accurate guage of how people really felt in this country about the war in Iraq was the November 2004 election! It was not a "POLL" of 1,000 people with questionable polling questions. It was a presidential election where more than 120 million people VOTED! President Johnson did not participate in any Presidential election while American combat Units were on the ground in Vietnam, Bush was just recently in a presidential election with 20 Brigades of combat troops on the ground in Iraq and he won by the first majority ever seen in a presidential election since 1988!

There are plenty of measurable benefits from the invasion of Iraq if one understands the enormous consequences and risk the region and the planet had to suffer with while Saddam was in power the previous 24 years.

The fact is, one could list hundreds of things that show progress, but some people, for political or other reasons, are only interested in the bad things that happen and how it makes those that they are politically opposed to look.

you thoroughly misunderstand what happens in a presidential election. while it is the biggest issue, it is not simply a referrendum on only the war, nor can it be used as a gauge on whether or not the war was right or wrong, or good strategy or bad strategy. i can be used as an indication as to the American people's *understanding* of the benefits of the war, but little else.

i'd also argue that the election wasn't about the war in Iraq, but the question of "who will keep you safe"? two different things, linked things, but different things. also, you underestimate the lack of appeal of John Kerry. basically, you've simplified the election -- a hugely complex thing -- into a piece of information you can wield to make an argument. it's simply bad reasoning, and exclamation points do little for your argument.

LBJ didn't run for re-election in 1968. he knew he wouldn't win, just as Bush would probably not win if the election were held today.

i'm not arguing that the removal of Saddam had benefits, and that there were costs if he were to stay in power.

what i am trying to get at, STING, is the fact that you are unwilling to concede the fact that the administration has messed up your war, that they are pulling out before the Iraqi army is ready (the mere presence of batillions means little if they can't fight worth a damn or drop their weapons and run), that it was sold to the American people under now laughably bad, cherry-picked intelligence, that there are global consequences to this war that might outweigh the consequences of keeping Saddam in power, that we are stretched thing while Iran and North Korea grow their nuclear capabilities and China makes mean faces at Taiwan.

it's this kind of blinkered vision that the administration is guilty of, and that has lead us into the mess in the first place.

again, my question is this: you point to the many good things that this war could have accomplished, yet you do not hold the administration accountable for it's failure to accomplish any of these goals.

and as anyone will tell you, it's not a country's first democratic election that matters. it's the country's second, and third, and forth election that matters.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GOP Traitors in a Time of War...

Irvine511 said:

you thoroughly misunderstand what happens in a presidential election. while it is the biggest issue, it is not simply a referrendum on only the war, nor can it be used as a gauge on whether or not the war was right or wrong, or good strategy or bad strategy. i can be used as an indication as to the American people's *understanding* of the benefits of the war, but little else.

i'd also argue that the election wasn't about the war in Iraq, but the question of "who will keep you safe"? two different things, linked things, but different things. also, you underestimate the lack of appeal of John Kerry. basically, you've simplified the election -- a hugely complex thing -- into a piece of information you can wield to make an argument. it's simply bad reasoning, and exclamation points do little for your argument.

LBJ didn't run for re-election in 1968. he knew he wouldn't win, just as Bush would probably not win if the election were held today.

i'm not arguing that the removal of Saddam had benefits, and that there were costs if he were to stay in power.

what i am trying to get at, STING, is the fact that you are unwilling to concede the fact that the administration has messed up your war, that they are pulling out before the Iraqi army is ready (the mere presence of batillions means little if they can't fight worth a damn or drop their weapons and run), that it was sold to the American people under now laughably bad, cherry-picked intelligence, that there are global consequences to this war that might outweigh the consequences of keeping Saddam in power, that we are stretched thing while Iran and North Korea grow their nuclear capabilities and China makes mean faces at Taiwan.

it's this kind of blinkered vision that the administration is guilty of, and that has lead us into the mess in the first place.

again, my question is this: you point to the many good things that this war could have accomplished, yet you do not hold the administration accountable for it's failure to accomplish any of these goals.

and as anyone will tell you, it's not a country's first democratic election that matters. it's the country's second, and third, and forth election that matters.

War is such a big issue, that it sweeps many of the complexities of any presidential election to the side. The war was the biggest issue in the campaign and people had the opportunity to throw out George Bush 1) if they thought the invasion was the wrong course of action 2) if they thought Bush had mishandled the aftermath with the occupation. There is simply no better gauge of America's feelings about the war than the November 2004 election. No poll with less than 1,000 people would ever come close the the accuracy of a Presidential election with over 120 million people voting for who would be President for the next four years.

George Bush just won re-election 9 months ago. Since that time, Iraq has had its first free election in decades, has nearly developed a constitution, and now has a substantial military force. People claimed Bush would not win in 2004, so claims that he would not win now, especially with all the new accomplishments in Iraq and a stronger economy, run hollow.

I have already conceded that the administration has made some tactical mistakes in the war. But I can't concede that the administration has messed up the war or lossed the war. Those that make the claim that the administration has "failed" don't seem to understand how long it takes on average to achieve victory and success in such circumstances involving nation building, insurgency, and building a new Iraqi military force. The fact is, these things take longer than the brief 2 years that the country has been engaged in the conflict. Also, monthly casualty figures are a tiny fraction of the rate in the last longterm insurgency war the United States fought in Vietnam, so this too can't be used against the adminstration to claim that it has "failed".

The Democrats claims of failure by the Bush administration in the occupation begs the question, what would the Democrats have done differently and what would have been achieved in the same time frame of 2 years under their leadership. Nation Building is a complex and difficult task, and anyone who thinks Bush has failed is going to be hard pressed to prove that they could have accomplished more in such a small time frame under such conditions. Many of the Democrats said a January 30, 2005 election was too quick and would never happen, so there's one accomplishment we know would not of happened under Democratic leadership in the first couple of years.

The Iraqi military now has over 100 Battalions in uniform compared to just 1 Battalion a year ago. Of these 100 Battalions, 10 are considered as capable as any US Marine or US Army Battalion. By the summer of 2006, this number will grow, and by 2007 at the current rate, the Iraqi military will have 100 Battalions capable of fighting and dealing with all the same situations that US Battalions currently do.

More importantly is that the desire to fight for the new government and the new Iraq is widespread. Despite the fact that army recruiting centers are the #1 target of insurgent bombings, long lines outside these recruitment centers continue to persist. As much as you bad mouth the new Iraqi military, they have taken more casualties than the coalition forces combined and still continue to fight.

The central case for the war in Iraq still remains Saddam's failure to comply with multiple UN resolutions and to verifiably disarm of all WMD. It is a FACT, that Saddam never verifiably disarmed of 1,000 Liters of Anthrax, 500 pounds of mustard Gas, 500 pounds of Nerve Gas, and over 20,000 Bio/Chem capable shells. The only thing that is laughable or cherry picked are the Democrats attempts to criticize the administration with some supporting intelligence reports that indeed turned out not to be accurate, but were 1) NEVER the central case for war 2) such intelligence is NEVER 100% accurate.

I'd like for you to explain why it would have been better to keep Saddam in power in light of all the things that had happened in the previous 24 years with Saddam in power. What global consequences of the war outweigh the consequences of keeping Saddam in power?

As far as the US military being stretched thin, some facts are in order:

The United States currently has 88 Army, National Guard and Marine brigades.

17 of these Brigades are in Iraq

4 of these Brigades are in Afghanistan

3 Brigades are in Okinawa ready to respond to any
Chinese moves against Taiwan

1 Brigade in South Korea

1 Brigade in Kosovo

1 Brigade in Bosnia

TOTAL: 27 Brigades deployed in combat or important security roles.

The remaining 61 Brigades are mainly in the United States with a few brigades in Germany, Italy, Japan(mainland), Kuwait, and some other temporary spots. While some of these Brigades may have just recently returned from Iraq, Afghanistan or other security deployments, all 61 of these Brigades are available for deployment anywhere in the world including Iraq.

Of the 39 National Guard Brigades that make up the total, only 4 Brigades are currently deployed outside of the United States. It is true that the burden on active duty units is far greater than the national guard, but it is false that the overall United States ground forces have been stretched thin.

The United States currently has the forces it needs to respond to crises in Taiwan, Korea, or Iran despite the large deployment to Iraq. There are currently 61 Brigades that could be rushed to any of these places if a sudden crises warrented their deployment.

"again, my question is this: you point to the many good things that this war could have accomplished, yet you do not hold the administration accountable for it's failure to accomplish any of these goals."

No, I have listed the many good things that the war HAS accomplished, but recognize the tactical mistakes that have been made in the process. The administration has accomplished many of its goals: it has removed Saddam's regime from power, given Iraq its first free election in decades, facilited the writing of a new constitution and the development of a new government, revitalized many parts of Iraq that were neglected under Saddam, and has built a new Iraqi army now composed of 100 Battalions. Thats a hell of a lot to have accomplished in only 2 years in this part of the world.

"and as anyone will tell you, it's not a country's first democratic election that matters. it's the country's second, and third, and forth election that matters."

When these elections succeed, I have no doubt that the Democrats will come up with new reasons to explain why the war and occupation is a failure.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GOP Traitors in a Time of War...

STING2 said:
War is such a big issue, that it sweeps many of the complexities of any presidential election to the side. The war was the biggest issue in the campaign and people had the opportunity to throw out George Bush 1) if they thought the invasion was the wrong course of action 2) if they thought Bush had mishandled the aftermath with the occupation. There is simply no better gauge of America's feelings about the war than the November 2004 election. No poll with less than 1,000 people would ever come close the the accuracy of a Presidential election with over 120 million people voting for who would be President for the next four years.

C'mon be realistic. You can't honestly believe that war was the sole determining factor in this election. You know social issues was HUGE. You know homeland security was a key issue. Don't forget the "sit down and have a drink with" vote. People have many economic, social, and military reasons for voting for a President. It isn't just ONE issue.

George Bush just won re-election 9 months ago. Since that time, Iraq has had its first free election in decades, has nearly developed a constitution, and now has a substantial military force. People claimed Bush would not win in 2004, so claims that he would not win now, especially with all the new accomplishments in Iraq and a stronger economy, run hollow.

If Bush has done all these amazing, incredible feats in the last 9 months, explain his horrible job approval rating. America must be seeing something is wrong, right?

I have already conceded that the administration has made some tactical mistakes in the war. But I can't concede that the administration has messed up the war or lossed the war. Those that make the claim that the administration has "failed" don't seem to understand how long it takes on average to achieve victory and success in such circumstances involving nation building, insurgency, and building a new Iraqi military force. The fact is, these things take longer than the brief 2 years that the country has been engaged in the conflict. Also, monthly casualty figures are a tiny fraction of the rate in the last longterm insurgency war the United States fought in Vietnam, so this too can't be used against the adminstration to claim that it has "failed".

I guess Irvine is saying that SURE, I guess it was alright to take action against Saddam. BUT!, do you agree with the treatment of prisonors at Abu Ghraib? When you pick up the newspaper and read that, in one week, 30 soldiers from the same state died, do you think, "They are dying for a good cause. These men and women are really protecting the freedom of the citizens of the US."?

The Democrats claims of failure by the Bush administration in the occupation begs the question, what would the Democrats have done differently and what would have been achieved in the same time frame of 2 years under their leadership. Nation Building is a complex and difficult task, and anyone who thinks Bush has failed is going to be hard pressed to prove that they could have accomplished more in such a small time frame under such conditions. Many of the Democrats said a January 30, 2005 election was too quick and would never happen, so there's one accomplishment we know would not of happened under Democratic leadership in the first couple of years.

Obviously the POLITICANS are gonna say that. They're clearly gonna say the elections won't be a success, they are POLITICIANS! That doesn't mean that every word that every Democratic congressman has uttered is the opinion of all Democrats. It's childish to assert that Democrats would not have achieved what the Republicans achieved, as there's no way of comparing. That's like saying that Al Gore would have been a better President than Millard Fillmore. You can't say that the Democrats would have failed at something they never did.

The Iraqi military now has over 100 Battalions in uniform compared to just 1 Battalion a year ago. Of these 100 Battalions, 10 are considered as capable as any US Marine or US Army Battalion. By the summer of 2006, this number will grow, and by 2007 at the current rate, the Iraqi military will have 100 Battalions capable of fighting and dealing with all the same situations that US Battalions currently do.

Americans are still dying. Until Americans stop dying, how can we be confident that this war is a success? Especially when there's no way to forsee WHEN American troops can leave. It could be one year, two years, five years until the Iraqi army can control themselves.

More importantly is that the desire to fight for the new government and the new Iraq is widespread. Despite the fact that army recruiting centers are the #1 target of insurgent bombings, long lines outside these recruitment centers continue to persist. As much as you bad mouth the new Iraqi military, they have taken more casualties than the coalition forces combined and still continue to fight.

Like I said earlier, no one knows when the Iraqi army will be ready. Therefore, you can't deny that Americans COULD POSSIBLY be dying in Iraq for many years to come.

The central case for the war in Iraq still remains Saddam's failure to comply with multiple UN resolutions and to verifiably disarm of all WMD. It is a FACT, that Saddam never verifiably disarmed of 1,000 Liters of Anthrax, 500 pounds of mustard Gas, 500 pounds of Nerve Gas, and over 20,000 Bio/Chem capable shells. The only thing that is laughable or cherry picked are the Democrats attempts to criticize the administration with some supporting intelligence reports that indeed turned out not to be accurate, but were 1) NEVER the central case for war 2) such intelligence is NEVER 100% accurate.

President Bush was NOT SUPPOSED TO SAY, "Saddam Hussein sought significant quanitites of uranium from Africa". He did. They were picking and choosing which intelligence to keep and which to ignore.

I'd like for you to explain why it would have been better to keep Saddam in power in light of all the things that had happened in the previous 24 years with Saddam in power. What global consequences of the war outweigh the consequences of keeping Saddam in power?

It's a good point. Many people are better off without Saddam in power. But is that worth American deaths? Is it our duty to destroy all bad dictators? Why didn't we attack him earlier in 2000 or 2001? He was a bad dictator then. Fidel is bad. Why not declare war on him. It would've been more convenient. I don't wanna come off as a smart alec, but I really DON'T UNDERSTAND why we needed to take such forceful and unilateral action against him. Was there any specific thing he did that put the USA's safety/liberty at risk? War is supposed to be a LAST RESORT. Did the US have no choice but to declare war on Iraq or else the freedom of our country would have been compromised? I really don't know how you can answer yes to any of these.

As far as the US military being stretched thin, some facts are in order:

The United States currently has 88 Army, National Guard and Marine brigades.

17 of these Brigades are in Iraq

4 of these Brigades are in Afghanistan

3 Brigades are in Okinawa ready to respond to any
Chinese moves against Taiwan

1 Brigade in South Korea

1 Brigade in Kosovo

1 Brigade in Bosnia

TOTAL: 27 Brigades deployed in combat or important security roles.

The remaining 61 Brigades are mainly in the United States with a few brigades in Germany, Italy, Japan(mainland), Kuwait, and some other temporary spots. While some of these Brigades may have just recently returned from Iraq, Afghanistan or other security deployments, all 61 of these Brigades are available for deployment anywhere in the world including Iraq.

Of the 39 National Guard Brigades that make up the total, only 4 Brigades are currently deployed outside of the United States. It is true that the burden on active duty units is far greater than the national guard, but it is false that the overall United States ground forces have been stretched thin.

The United States currently has the forces it needs to respond to crises in Taiwan, Korea, or Iran despite the large deployment to Iraq. There are currently 61 Brigades that could be rushed to any of these places if a sudden crises warrented their deployment.

:blahblah: These facts are cute, but I can't believe what you're saying. Are you trying to suggest that the US in it's current military situation could go to war with another country???? Actually 2 more countries with your math. We could get rid of the whole "axis of evil"! (Another brilliant move by this administration). C'mon....you can't believe that the US is capable of war with another country. People are serving their second, third, and fourth tours in Iraq. The brigades that are in the United States CAME HOME from Afghanistan and Iraq and want to STAY ALIVE with their FAMILIES. They already served this country nobly. We can't just send them wherever.

No, I have listed the many good things that the war HAS accomplished, but recognize the tactical mistakes that have been made in the process. The administration has accomplished many of its goals: it has removed Saddam's regime from power, given Iraq its first free election in decades, facilited the writing of a new constitution and the development of a new government, revitalized many parts of Iraq that were neglected under Saddam, and has built a new Iraqi army now composed of 100 Battalions. Thats a hell of a lot to have accomplished in only 2 years in this part of the world.

But at what cost? Why did so many Americans have to die? Were they protecting our freedom? And don't start talking about 9/11 because a) many investigations by the 9/11 commission, CIA, etc. have said Saddam wasn't connected with 9/11 and b) the terrorists that are killing Americans now WENT there AFTER they realized we had ground forces in Iraq (without sufficient body armor and protection). The fact is, Americans dying in Iraq aren't protecting our freedom and safety.

When these elections succeed, I have no doubt that the Democrats will come up with new reasons to explain why the war and occupation is a failure.

So you undoubtedly believe in the partisan politics in America.

I would have supported the war in Iraq more if we hadn't rushed into it so soon after the war in Afghanistan. I don't care what anyone says - there are loose ends that should've been tied up better in Afghanistan before we turned our attention to Iraq.

And as for the presidential election, the appeal of the OTHER candidate plays a major role in the outcome, not just the issues. I know a lot of people who voted for Bush even though they disliked both him and his handling of the war so far because they didn't think Kerry would be a good President. If the Democrat party had had a more formidable challenger, Bush wouldn't have been re-elected.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GOP Traitors in a Time of War...

unosdostres14 said:

C'mon be realistic. You can't honestly believe that war was the sole determining factor in this election. You know social issues was HUGE. You know homeland security was a key issue. Don't forget the "sit down and have a drink with" vote. People have many economic, social, and military reasons for voting for a President. It isn't just ONE issue.

If Bush has done all these amazing, incredible feats in the last 9 months, explain his horrible job approval rating. America must be seeing something is wrong, right?

I guess Irvine is saying that SURE, I guess it was alright to take action against Saddam. BUT!, do you agree with the treatment of prisonors at Abu Ghraib? When you pick up the newspaper and read that, in one week, 30 soldiers from the same state died, do you think, "They are dying for a good cause. These men and women are really protecting the freedom of the citizens of the US."?

Obviously the POLITICANS are gonna say that. They're clearly gonna say the elections won't be a success, they are POLITICIANS! That doesn't mean that every word that every Democratic congressman has uttered is the opinion of all Democrats. It's childish to assert that Democrats would not have achieved what the Republicans achieved, as there's no way of comparing. That's like saying that Al Gore would have been a better President than Millard Fillmore. You can't say that the Democrats would have failed at something they never did.

Americans are still dying. Until Americans stop dying, how can we be confident that this war is a success? Especially when there's no way to forsee WHEN American troops can leave. It could be one year, two years, five years until the Iraqi army can control themselves.

Like I said earlier, no one knows when the Iraqi army will be ready. Therefore, you can't deny that Americans COULD POSSIBLY be dying in Iraq for many years to come.

President Bush was NOT SUPPOSED TO SAY, "Saddam Hussein sought significant quanitites of uranium from Africa". He did. They were picking and choosing which intelligence to keep and which to ignore.

It's a good point. Many people are better off without Saddam in power. But is that worth American deaths? Is it our duty to destroy all bad dictators? Why didn't we attack him earlier in 2000 or 2001? He was a bad dictator then. Fidel is bad. Why not declare war on him. It would've been more convenient. I don't wanna come off as a smart alec, but I really DON'T UNDERSTAND why we needed to take such forceful and unilateral action against him. Was there any specific thing he did that put the USA's safety/liberty at risk? War is supposed to be a LAST RESORT. Did the US have no choice but to declare war on Iraq or else the freedom of our country would have been compromised? I really don't know how you can answer yes to any of these.

:blahblah: These facts are cute, but I can't believe what you're saying. Are you trying to suggest that the US in it's current military situation could go to war with another country???? Actually 2 more countries with your math. We could get rid of the whole "axis of evil"! (Another brilliant move by this administration). C'mon....you can't believe that the US is capable of war with another country. People are serving their second, third, and fourth tours in Iraq. The brigades that are in the United States CAME HOME from Afghanistan and Iraq and want to STAY ALIVE with their FAMILIES. They already served this country nobly. We can't just send them wherever.

But at what cost? Why did so many Americans have to die? Were they protecting our freedom? And don't start talking about 9/11 because a) many investigations by the 9/11 commission, CIA, etc. have said Saddam wasn't connected with 9/11 and b) the terrorists that are killing Americans now WENT there AFTER they realized we had ground forces in Iraq (without sufficient body armor and protection). The fact is, Americans dying in Iraq aren't protecting our freedom and safety.

So you undoubtedly believe in the partisan politics in America.

No other issue is more important or commands more attention than the war. There is no other single issue that can impact a country more than a war. The other issues that you listed may be important to some people, but not everyone because they do not involve the costs that a war entails. The clearest and most accurate sign of how America felt about the war in Iraq was shown in November 2004 when George Bush was re-elected by the first majority for a president since 1988.

As for the job approval rating, these polls are often inaccurate as the November 2004 election proved. George Bush has similar job approval ratings before the election and Zogby used such polls to claim that Bush would not win.

Abu Ghraib was an isolated incident. Terrorist and prisoners in US prisons get better treatment than they would anywhere in the world. My bestfriend flew and escort mission in Iraq for a terrorist from Abu Ghraib that needed a liver transplant. Imagine that, risking his life to insure that a terrorist could get the best medical treatment possible. Just one little story the you won't learn from the mainstream media, but something US soldiers and Marines experience on a daily basis. United States military personal have saved the lives of thousands of insurgents and terrorist who only moments before being hit were trying to kill them.

The Men and Women of the United States military are not only protecting the freedom and interest of the United States in Iraq, they are protecting the freedom and interest of the entire Planet!

You can judge Democratic presidential candidates by their previous actions and what they support to arrive at a conclusion of whether they would make or would have been a good president or not.

In every war the United States has ever fought in, with the exception of the Kosovo war, Americans were dying at every point in the conflict. That alone is no way to determine if the war is successful or how long it would take. It will probably take 5 or 6 years before the Iraqi military can completely take over the job of security from coalition forces.

The Bush administrations central case for war in Iraq was presented in UN resolution 1441, it was NEVER the Niger case with Uranium. That was a piece of supporting intelligence, but not even close to being the central case for war.

The United States did not remove Saddam simply because he was a "bad dictator like Fidal".

How many dictators can you name have: invaded and attacked four different countries unprovoked in the last 20 years, used WMD more times than any leader in history, threatened the planets energy supply with seizure and or sabotage, murdered over 1.7 million people, been in violation of 17 UN resolutions past under Chapter VII rules of the United Nations, been inviolation of a ceacefire agreement, involved in smuggling 4 Billion dollars worth of goods across his border in violation of UN sanctions and the UN weapons embargo.

How many dictators can you name have done all the above in the last 20 years?

The planet is dependent on the energy reserves in the Persian Gulf. Without them it would send the global economy into the worst depression anyone has every seen in history, which would threaten the security and stability of democracy and freedom worldwide. There for, anything that threatens the energy reserves in the Persian Gulf is a massive security threat to the entire planet and cannot be tolerated. This is why the United Nations Security Council passed multiple UN resolutions against Saddam requiring him to Verifiably disarm of all WMD after his brutal invasions and attacks on Kuwait, Saudia Arabia and Israel. Military action was authorized if Saddam failed to comply because his failure to comply was scene as a massive security risk to the planet in light of his previous behavior in invading and attacking countries and using WMD on a mass scale.

From 1991 to 1998, Saddam did cooperate off and on with the international community on many issues in regards to disarmament. But by 1997-1998, Saddam almost completely stopped cooperation and by the end of 1998, the UN inspectors were forced out. Bill Clinton should have gone to war in 1999 or at least taken more aggressive military action to get Saddam back in line than he did. The four days of heavy bombing Clinton did do did little to change Saddam's mind about thing.

Clinton occupied with the war in Kosovo let the Iraq situation be pushed on to the next administration. From 1998 to 2002, there was a serious erosion of the sanctions and weapons embargo that had attempted to keep some level of containment upon Saddam. In 2002, the Bush Administration was faced with a grave situation in respect to Saddam that had to be dealt with. Saddam's failure to verifiably disarm of all WMD, his new ability to get new weapons because of the erosion of sanctions and the embargo, required that Bush along with the international community take immediate action to stop any more deteriation of the situation and finally resolve the disarmament issue.

Bush got 3rd UN security Council resolution authorizing the use of military force against Saddam if he failed to verifiably disarm of the remaining unaccounted for WMD. Saddam failed to do this when the inspectors arrived, and then the coalition invasion of Iraq was launched, an invasion that was long overdue.

The facts I listed about current US military force structure are just that, facts. The United States military does have a total of 88 brigades currently and only 17 of them are in Iraq. The United States has had the capability to fight a large number of conflicts all over the world at the same time since World War II. The reason many troops are experiencing their second and third deployments in Iraq is that the Bush administration has restricted the use of National Guard units to a certain degree. National Guard Brigades make up nearly half the force and without them, the active component operating under a rotation scheduale with one year on deployment and followed by a year home must constantly be rotating these troops. But, Active Duty Brigades currently resting in the United States can be sent anywhere in the world if they are needed. In addition the President can change the deployment schedual of the National Guard and send all 39 brigades overseas if need be. If the emergency was serious enough, all 88 brigades could be deployed overseas indefinitely! Notice that in World War II, there was NO rotation schedual and soldiers and marines served overseas until the war was over.

Outside of the Combat Brigades, there are special support units and special forces Units that are not available in such large numbers and these troops may be experiencing a much higher rate of deployment than the rest of the force.

phanan said:
I would have supported the war in Iraq more if we hadn't rushed into it so soon after the war in Afghanistan. I don't care what anyone says - there are loose ends that should've been tied up better in Afghanistan before we turned our attention to Iraq.

And as for the presidential election, the appeal of the OTHER candidate plays a major role in the outcome, not just the issues. I know a lot of people who voted for Bush even though they disliked both him and his handling of the war so far because they didn't think Kerry would be a good President. If the Democrat party had had a more formidable challenger, Bush wouldn't have been re-elected.

The United States military is required to and has had the capability to operate in many different conflicts at the same time for decades. Large numbers of Tanks and armored vehicles which make up the majority of the United Sates Army Brigade forces would not have helped at all in tying up any alleged loose ends in Afghanistan. The Military increased the number of troops in Afghanistan by a factor of 10 to 1 after the Taliban was defeated there.

The Situation in Iraq could not wait just as military action against Germany in World War II could not wait. It would have been foolish for the United States to have just concentrated on Japan until it was defeated and not to have engaged Germany in World War II. It would have been crazy to have allowed Saddam all this time to obtain new weapons and prepare for war, while trying to complete the mission in Afghanistan. Catching Bin Ladin is a matter of good intelligence, not thousands of troops and armored vehicles restricted to a small road system in difficult terrein. Sending thousands of armored Vehicles into Afghanistan would not have increased the chances of finding Bin Ladin, and many would argue that it would have hindered the effort.

Most importantly though, neglecting a serious risk to US national security does not enhance solving another security problem or contribute to overall national security.

STING2 said:

The United States military is required to and has had the capability to operate in many different conflicts at the same time for decades. Large numbers of Tanks and armored vehicles which make up the majority of the United Sates Army Brigade forces would not have helped at all in tying up any alleged loose ends in Afghanistan. The Military increased the number of troops in Afghanistan by a factor of 10 to 1 after the Taliban was defeated there.

The Situation in Iraq could not wait just as military action against Germany in World War II could not wait. It would have been foolish for the United States to have just concentrated on Japan until it was defeated and not to have engaged Germany in World War II. It would have been crazy to have allowed Saddam all this time to obtain new weapons and prepare for war, while trying to complete the mission in Afghanistan. Catching Bin Ladin is a matter of good intelligence, not thousands of troops and armored vehicles restricted to a small road system in difficult terrein. Sending thousands of armored Vehicles into Afghanistan would not have increased the chances of finding Bin Ladin, and many would argue that it would have hindered the effort.

Most importantly though, neglecting a serious risk to US national security does not enhance solving another security problem or contribute to overall national security.

In my opinion, they should've increased the number of troops in Afghanistan even more, not armored vehicles.

The situation in Iraq had gone on for over a decade. Another year would not have made any difference.

phanan said:

In my opinion, they should've increased the number of troops in Afghanistan even more, not armored vehicles.

The situation in Iraq had gone on for over a decade. Another year would not have made any difference.

No the situation in Iraq, no inspectors on the ground, the serious weakening of sanctions and the weapons embargo had only been going on for a few years. Probably the most important national security objective of the United States is insuring the safety and security of Persian Gulf energy supplies to the rest of the planet. The siezure or sabotage of such supplies would have an intolerable impact on the rest of the planet.

The required force was sent into Afghanistan and if more was needed, more could have been sent. There has never been more than 20 US brigades in Iraq at any one time, while the total number of Army, National Guard, and Marine Brigades stands at 88 brigades. So, once again this idea that Iraq took away from the operation in Afghanistan is a false one, and General Tommy Franks has expressed this fact!

More force was needed in Afghanistan. We have not realized our true objective there yet. Utilizing all of our resources in Afghanistan first would have been a better way of doing things.

As for Iraq, we could have worked with the United Nations and other countries to reinforce sanctions and the weapons embargo while we continued our primary objective in Afghanistan. If the desired result still did not present itself by the time our mission in Afghanistan was complete, a true United Nations coalition would no doubt had been formed to resolved the Iraq issue.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GOP Traitors in a Time of War...

STING2 said:

How many dictators can you name have: invaded and attacked four different countries unprovoked in the last 20 years, used WMD more times than any leader in history, threatened the planets energy supply with seizure and or sabotage, murdered over 1.7 million people, been in violation of 17 UN resolutions past under Chapter VII rules of the United Nations, been inviolation of a ceacefire agreement, involved in smuggling 4 Billion dollars worth of goods across his border in violation of UN sanctions and the UN weapons embargo.

How many dictators can you name have done all the above in the last 20 years?

Except for the UN resolutions part I'd think George W. is well on his way...:eyebrow:

phanan said:
More force was needed in Afghanistan. We have not realized our true objective there yet. Utilizing all of our resources in Afghanistan first would have been a better way of doing things.

As for Iraq, we could have worked with the United Nations and other countries to reinforce sanctions and the weapons embargo while we continued our primary objective in Afghanistan. If the desired result still did not present itself by the time our mission in Afghanistan was complete, a true United Nations coalition would no doubt had been formed to resolved the Iraq issue.

No one in is right mind would have sent every single US military combat brigade into Afghanistan. The United States has many security needs around the globe that have to be met, Afghanistan has never been the only one. General Tommy Franks is one of the greatest and most experienced Generals in US history. He sent in the proper force and the United States occupation force has been the most successful occupation force in the history of Afghanistan! Realize Afghanistans history goes back 5,000 years. But for an earlier reference, compare what the United States has succeeded in doing in Afghanistan to what the Soviet Union did with 10 years in the country with 6 times as many troops!

The operation in Afghanistan has been a flying success, and the only way Bin Ladin will be captured will be through non-military means, meaning, CIA or foreign intelligence services.

Once again, in World War II, the United States did not concentrate all of its resources on defeating Japan before going after Germany. A doctor treating a sick patient does not just treat one problem at a time.

The United States had been continuosly working with the United Nations and other countries to reinforces sanctions and the weapons embargo FOR YEARS!!!!!!!!!!! Despite the best efforts in this area, the situation had only become worse, not better. The United States and the coalition launched the invasion of Iraq to remove Saddam in March 2003. This invasion was a long overdue necessity. The United Nations has passed more resolutions in approval of US and coalition policy in Iraq than for any other conflict in history. More than 50 countries participated in the coalition in way or the other, so these comments about it not being a true coalition because France and Germany backed out are rubbish.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GOP Traitors in a Time of War...

s_tielemans said:

Except for the UN resolutions part I'd think George W. is well on his way...:eyebrow:

Really, George Bush is a dictator? I think even the "far left" here at FYM would not even go that far.:wink:

George Bush has launched unprovoked invasions and attacks on four different countries? Iraq and Afghanistan were not unprovoked invasions, but if you could name just one, that would be interesting.

George Bush has used WMD more times than any leader in history? George Bush has never used WMD even once.

George Bush has threatened the worlds energy supply with seizure and sabotage? On the contrary, Bush's policies and well as the policies of early presidents have increased the energy supply available to the planet as well as making it more secure from disruption.

George Bush has murdered over 1.7 million people? He may have mangled the english language 1.7 million times, but Bush has not murdered anyone.

STING2 said:

No one in is right mind would have sent every single US military combat brigade into Afghanistan. The United States has many security needs around the globe that have to be met, Afghanistan has never been the only one. General Tommy Franks is one of the greatest and most experienced Generals in US history. He sent in the proper force and the United States occupation force has been the most successful occupation force in the history of Afghanistan! Realize Afghanistans history goes back 5,000 years. But for an earlier reference, compare what the United States has succeeded in doing in Afghanistan to what the Soviet Union did with 10 years in the country with 6 times as many troops!

The operation in Afghanistan has been a flying success, and the only way Bin Ladin will be captured will be through non-military means, meaning, CIA or foreign intelligence services.

Once again, in World War II, the United States did not concentrate all of its resources on defeating Japan before going after Germany. A doctor treating a sick patient does not just treat one problem at a time.

The United States had been continuosly working with the United Nations and other countries to reinforces sanctions and the weapons embargo FOR YEARS!!!!!!!!!!! Despite the best efforts in this area, the situation had only become worse, not better. The United States and the coalition launched the invasion of Iraq to remove Saddam in March 2003. This invasion was a long overdue necessity. The United Nations has passed more resolutions in approval of US and coalition policy in Iraq than for any other conflict in history. More than 50 countries participated in the coalition in way or the other, so these comments about it not being a true coalition because France and Germany backed out are rubbish.

Obviously, I wasn't referring to every single brigade that we have, but certainly much more than what was used. I disagree that only non-military means is the way to capture bin Laden. I can't possibly believe someone would call the operation in Afghanistan a success when the main objective for going there has yet to be realized!

And comparing WWII to Afghanistan and Iraq is preposterous. We got involved in WWII very late, and as a result our total resources for that war never approached other countries. But today, we are the primary resource for the war in Iraq, along with Britain. You say more than 50 countries have participated in the coalition in one way or another, but what you fail to mention is that it is nowhere near the degree of what we do because they are much smaller countries. If Russia or China were involved as much as we are, along with the aforementioned France and Germany, I'd have a different opinion.

It is most likely that an invasion of Iraq would have been necessary at some point, but at the time, not every alternative had been exhausted, and we should have waited until it had been. Most likely, if we had done things right in Afghanistan, we would have been able to turn our attention to Iraq when that moment arrived.

phanan said:

Obviously, I wasn't referring to every single brigade that we have, but certainly much more than what was used. I disagree that only non-military means is the way to capture bin Laden. I can't possibly believe someone would call the operation in Afghanistan a success when the main objective for going there has yet to be realized!

And comparing WWII to Afghanistan and Iraq is preposterous. We got involved in WWII very late, and as a result our total resources for that war never approached other countries. But today, we are the primary resource for the war in Iraq, along with Britain. You say more than 50 countries have participated in the coalition in one way or another, but what you fail to mention is that it is nowhere near the degree of what we do because they are much smaller countries. If Russia or China were involved as much as we are, along with the aforementioned France and Germany, I'd have a different opinion.

It is most likely that an invasion of Iraq would have been necessary at some point, but at the time, not every alternative had been exhausted, and we should have waited until it had been. Most likely, if we had done things right in Afghanistan, we would have been able to turn our attention to Iraq when that moment arrived.

I'm sorry you don't understand the World War II comparison, I was only trying to demonstrate to you that a nation cannot properally provide for its security when it only attempts to solve one security problem at a time. Doing that simply hurts US security. The United States has had far more important security needs in the Persian Gulf for DECADES that exist independent of a comparitively temporary problem that arose in Afghanistan.

The main objective in going to Afghanistan was to remove it as a major base and staging ground for Al Quada and the United States has accomplished that objective. It has never been the #1 security objective to simply catch a single person. The United States is at war with Al Quada as whole, not just Bin Ladin. If and when the United States captures Bin Ladin, it will still be fighting Al Quada and other Islamic terrorist cells around the world.

When was the last time that Russia, China, France and Germany were involved to the degree that you suggest in a US led military operation?

In regards to Iraq, every alternative to invasion had been exhausted years earlier. The invasion was long overdue and the erosion of sanctions and the weapons embargo was steadily making the security situation worse to a degree that could not be fully known.

STING2 said:

When was the last time that Russia, China, France and Germany were involved to the degree that you suggest in a US led military operation?

:scratch: Is this a trick question? You only mention World War II once every other paragraph lately and yet ask this? When it's obvious that all four of the countries mentioned above played pivotal roles in that war...

The U.S. wasn't involved from the beginning with WWII, but it was very clear during the latter part of it that they assumed a leadership role amongst the Allies and were the driving force that finally put it to an end.

And the main objective in Afghanistan was Al Quaida AND bin Laden himself. As far as I can tell, neither objective has been carried out yet. The one thing we did do was oust the Taliban - a step in the right direction, but certainly not enough.

And not every alternative was used for Iraq - if it had been, I'm sure the United Nations would have been more forthcoming to use force at the time.

phanan said:

:scratch: Is this a trick question? You only mention World War II once every other paragraph lately and yet ask this? When it's obvious that all four of the countries mentioned above played pivotal roles in that war...

The U.S. wasn't involved from the beginning with WWII, but it was very clear during the latter part of it that they assumed a leadership role amongst the Allies and were the driving force that finally put it to an end.

And the main objective in Afghanistan was Al Quaida AND bin Laden himself. As far as I can tell, neither objective has been carried out yet. The one thing we did do was oust the Taliban - a step in the right direction, but certainly not enough.

And not every alternative was used for Iraq - if it had been, I'm sure the United Nations would have been more forthcoming to use force at the time.

The United Nations Security Council approved of the operation to remove Saddam if he failed to meet his obligations by a 15-0 vote. The United States and its Allies spent 12 years working and trying to provide the security needed without having to go to war against Saddam. Even very limited military action was used, and it did not work.

Afghanistan is no longer the base and recruiting center for Al Quada that it was when the Taliban were in power. The operation has been one of the most successful military operations in US history. If you want a bit of perspective, just compare this operation to the Soviet operation there in the 1980s when they had 6 times as many troops. The goal of the Afghanistan operation was to take away Al Quada's main Headquarters, training and recruiting area and that goal was accomplished. Most of what remained of Al Quada fled into and Pakistan are hiding in various cities until they are caught by Pakistani authorities.

The point I was trying to make with the question was that there never has been a coalition in history that involved all those countries(Germany, France, Russia, China) so to expect the current coalition to only be a real coalition if all those countries are involved is absurd.

Back
Top Bottom