GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 4 - Page 61 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #901
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:37 PM
Surely it was things like the New Deal and the Great Society that allowed for the amazing growth the US witnessed during what many believe to be the USA's 'golden years'. As did the creation of the welfare state and NHS in the UK allowed for the same. I think it's the haphazard dismantling of all that came before by baby boomers who benefited the most of the state's largesse in that post war period to be the most appalling thing.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #902
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJT
Surely it was things like the New Deal and the Great Society that allowed for the amazing growth the US witnessed during what many believe to be the USA's 'golden years'. As did the creation of the welfare state and NHS in the UK allowed for the same. I think it's the haphazard dismantling of all that came before by baby boomers who benefited the most of the state's largesse in that post war period to be the most appalling thing.

You are absolutely correct.

We could also add something like the GI Bill to that list.

Universal health care will likely be a boon to creativity and entrepreneurship, as people will be able to take risks they might not have otherwise lest they lose their insurance.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:32 PM   #903
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
2) Some of us feel there are ways infinitely more effective to meet our "obligation towards other human beings" than bigger government, more regulation, higher taxes, less choice and less freedom.
Tell you what, INDY. I'll listen to conservatives' complaints about lack of choice and freedom when they agree to stop trying to restrict what women can do with their bodies and agree to allow gay couples to get married anywhere they wish. I'll listen to conservatives' complaints about overregulation and bigger government involvement when they stop expecting the same federal government they don't want getting involved so much to put tougher regulations on our immigration policy, or when they agree that wiretapping civilians is wrong and join others in protesting such measures instead of going around talking about how such things are "good for the national security".

And as for taxes, hey, there were things my family sure as hell didn't want to pay for that we had no say in (namely two big wars from the past decade). So if we have to suck it up, so do you guys.

Quote:
And some who think that are even (shock!!) black Americans.
Good for them .
Old 07-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #904
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:37 AM
Or how about the lack of freedom that comes when you don't have health care?
Old 07-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #905
45:33

Local Time: 10:37 PM
Quote:
2) Some of us feel there are ways infinitely more effective to meet our "obligation towards other human beings" than bigger government, more regulation, higher taxes, less choice and less freedom. And some who think that are even (shock!!) black Americans.
How exactly does impinging on the rights of the gay community or immigrants or asylum seekers = freedom? I would think meeting obligations towards other human beings would involve not ostracising them, but maybe that's just me.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #906
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Nonono, the government is the only thing that can possibly impact freedom. Duh.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #907
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
If Romney was sincere he should have gone in and spoke about job creation, focused on the parts of his platform he thought could resonate with the audience.
If he'd done that, everyone on the left would be accusing him of patronising black people.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:34 PM   #908
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy

If he'd done that, everyone on the left would be accusing him of patronising black people.
Um, no.

Nice try. If sincere, there would be no issue, the problem is I don't think he's capable of sincerity.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:42 PM   #909
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
the problem is I don't think he's capable of sincerity.
Did he pick up that trait from his opponent?
Old 07-14-2012, 11:06 PM   #910
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJT View Post
Surely it was things like the New Deal and the Great Society that allowed for the amazing growth the US witnessed during what many believe to be the USA's 'golden years'.
There are many economists who argue the policies of FDR (and tax increases in the late 1930s) actually prolonged the Great Depression 7+ years.

I am not well-read enough on the subject to comment intelligently, but you can bet your ass that the best way out of a depression is:
  • a World War (war is an amazing creator of demand for things)
  • an entirely untouched infrastructure compared with Europe being in flames when the war ends
Old 07-15-2012, 12:20 AM   #911
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
I know the answer but:

What % of Americans receive health care through Medicaid or Medicare?
Old 07-15-2012, 12:40 AM   #912
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
How exactly does impinging on the rights of the gay community or immigrants or asylum seekers = freedom? I would think meeting obligations towards other human beings would involve not ostracising them, but maybe that's just me.
So we all have some antiquated notions I guess.

I believe only marriage between one woman and one man is sacrosanct because men and women are equal -- but not the same. That gender is not interchangeable.

While others here believe Social Security (New Deal), Medicaid and Medicare (Great Society) are sacrosanct despite the fact these programs are dense with fraud, waste and inefficiency, rendered fathers all but obsolete in poor neighborhoods, and are taking us over a cliff into national bankruptcy.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:27 AM   #913
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500

While others here believe Social Security (New Deal), Medicaid and Medicare (Great Society) are sacrosanct despite the fact these programs are dense with fraud, waste and inefficiency, rendered fathers all but obsolete in poor neighborhoods, and are taking us over a cliff into national bankruptcy.
Religion, capitalism, and everything else you worship are dense with fraud and waste. Are you ready to throw them out the door?
Old 07-15-2012, 02:17 AM   #914
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
I believe only marriage between one woman and one man is sacrosanct because men and women are equal -- but not the same. That gender is not interchangeable.
...what?

That really doesn't make sense.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:53 AM   #915
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
...what?

That really doesn't make sense.
INDY maybe isn't aware of the gay relationship power dynamic. You can be two guys and not equal, INDY. Some gay men just want to be a power bottom with real staying power in the sack, what can I say.