GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 4 - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2012, 01:09 AM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:57 PM
Off the top of my head, I can't think of a person I hate more right now. Fuck Rick Santorum.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:48 AM   #62
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:57 AM
I found it odd, if that's the word, to hear a Catholic using the language of America being locked in a spiritual war with Satan, who rots the country from within through its institutions. To me that's more something I'd expect to hear from a certain type of Baptist. I guess that could just be a question of limited social exposure on my part.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 02-22-2012, 02:03 AM   #63
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Off the top of my head, I can't think of a person I hate more right now. Fuck Rick Santorum.
*Nods* He really does need to go away for a very, very long time. The day he drops out of the race will be the day I do a happy dance down my block.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:17 AM   #64
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

So he's going to continue talking about the things Americans want to talk about, eh? Like... contraception and feminism?

I'm honestly curious to find out the last time Santorum talked about jobs in any meaningful way.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #65
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
I found it odd, if that's the word, to hear a Catholic using the language of America being locked in a spiritual war with Satan, who rots the country from within through its institutions. To me that's more something I'd expect to hear from a certain type of Baptist. I guess that could just be a question of limited social exposure on my part.
Yeah, it is odd for a Catholic, I usually find it in Baptist and Mormons. They both seem to be very UScentric.

But there's this whole new denomination growing up within all kinds of churches in the last two decades that teaches the conservative christian political moreso than the Biblical. I've been in some of these churches, some actually have the presidents on the wall of the Sunday school rooms or in foyers.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

The funny thing is that he's a first generation American, isn't he? I think his father is an Italian immigrant.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:35 AM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

I was raised Catholic, I went to Catholic schools all the way up until university and I have never met a Catholic like him. And that includes my elderly great-aunts who prayed the rosary 5 times a day, my grandmother who went to mass 7 days a week until she could no longer walk there, and my father's old aunt who had about 20 crucifixes all over her home and made half a dozen pilgrimmages to places like Fatima and Medjugorje.

He must be some kind of ultra-traditional Catholic, which incidentally is why polls of Catholics all disagree with him on social issues by rather significant margins each time.

I think that he is a vile person who sits in judgment of others and their faith and their relationship with their God - shame on him.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

I have a similar background, with family members who were strict Catholics. Always praying the rosary, going to mass every day. That's what you get with straight-off-the-boat Irish people. You're tired from waking up early for 7:30 mass? Offer it up.

He is like no Catholic I have ever known. He is a Catholic only in theory. Everything he says is evangelical. We Catholics are far from evangelical.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:55 PM   #69
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
I'm honestly curious to find out the last time Santorum talked about jobs in any meaningful way.
Oh, he does; lately his stump speeches have mostly been about how he wants to be remembered as the guy who revived American manufacturing (yeah right), etc. The speech I posted above was from 2008 and not a campaign speech. It's just that, like PFan said earlier, the networks are focused on finding the controversial stuff; and anyhow the conservatives I know, and I know quite a few, themselves seem more concerned with, Do you want the Electable Guy or the Guy Who Actually Stands For Something, rather than on debating the merits of anyone's economic platform. I don't really expect much reporting on anyone's economic agenda until the general election, honestly. And then there'll doubtless be a lot of populist b.s. from both candidates about 'reviving American manufacturing,' which everyone knows is never going to happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
You're tired from waking up early for 7:30 mass? Offer it up.
Yes! I actually remember teachers at the Catholic high school I went to admonishing just that, "Offer it up," whenever someone whined. Although, there WAS also one teacher there, she taught this course on 'Catholic Life' or something like that, who belonged to a subsect or lay order or whatever you call it which was charismatic (and I think maybe Opus Dei-linked, though I wouldn't have known what that was then). And she really would make fire'n'brimstone speeches from time to time; once I made the mistake of offhandedly saying that whatever topic she was addressing wasn't really a big deal in Judaism, and she actually came and stood over my desk, fixed me with this ferocious glare and ranted about some dream she'd supposedly had in which she saw angels and demons fighting over my soul. Ooookay. So in some form or another there are holy roller types everywhere, I get that, we have them in Judaism too. Santorum seems to me like a somewhat different phenomenon, though; his views (on contraception etc.) are recognizably Catholic, and there's something vaguely Catholic too about the earnest wonkishness with which he discusses ethical issues, but the way he frames stuff, all these emotionally charged doom'n'gloom narratives about Satan and our collective national spiritual downfall and all that, that just really hits my ear as odd and unexpected coming from a Catholic. Has nothing direct to do with his policy platform, but like everyone else I like to be able to locate a politician in some social context that makes sense to me, and I'm having a bit of a hard time doing that with Santorum.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 02-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #70
Blue Crack Distributor

so do you think Biden will run in 2016? I mean after 8 years of being VP he'd probably want the nomination.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #71
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

My great uncle (Catholic Irish) who emigrated to Florida when he was around 19 has an awful lot of similar views to Santorum, as I do believe a lot of his family....he's been to Haiti to cast out demons and what not, and if fond of believing Obama to be part of the New World Order as well. It's a very weird Catholic, evangelical and conspiracy theory hybrid, that I have heard espoused by no one other than him and some of his family, my dad is a fairly traditional Catholic and he is of the firm view that his uncle is no longer one with the church so to speak.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #72
War Child

Local Time: 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
so do you think Biden will run in 2016? I mean after 8 years of being VP he'd probably want the nomination.
It will be the Al Gore saga all over again.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #73
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:57 PM
Biden in 2016, not likely at all.

If Obama ends on a high note, the economy doing well and with a popularity in the 60s one might speculate.

Bush 1 and Gore were seen as major contributors to successful and popular administrations. And they both were able win.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #74
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Santorum seems to me like a somewhat different phenomenon, though; his views (on contraception etc.) are recognizably Catholic, and there's something vaguely Catholic too about the earnest wonkishness with which he discusses ethical issues

my mother was raised as Catholic as they come, and in many ways, is still authentically Catholic -- hated Bush, hated the Iraq War, things the fundies are bonkers, obviously believed in birth control, pro-choice (for *her* daughter at least), and a bit irritated at taxes. and while she thinks Santorum's a nutball, i can tell that there is something in his manner and demeanor that she responds to. i think there are characteristics that are recognizably "Catholic" and i've had enough exposure to Catholicism that some kind of Catholic-dar goes off, even if i can't quite put a name to it or adequately put it into words.

it's like he speaks like a Catholic, but the words are all "Jesus Camp" cray-cray.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #75
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep
Biden in 2016, not likely at all.

If Obama ends on a high note, the economy doing well and with a popularity in the 60s one might speculate.

Bush 1 and Gore were seen as major contributors to successful and popular administrations. And they both were able win.
I see what you did there.