GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 4 - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #46
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:30 PM
it's been interesting ... Santorum opening his mouth to talk about his crazy view on social issues was meant to win over the social conservatives who think Mitt's a liberal because he used to be pro-choice and vowed to be even more pro-gay than Ted Kennedy. but he's so batshit insane on this stuff that it might have just proved to everyone how utterly unelectable he is.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
To me abortion is a serious, awful thing and I think most pro-choice people feel the same way. It's only the pro-life people's caricature of the pro-choice position based on a very small minority of people that treat abortion in a light and flippant way.
Aren't we glad that pro-life folks are never caricatured in a bad light on this forum.
Quote:
And back to my original sarcastic comment, there's more nuance to that too, if you think about it.
It is an astute observation, one that didn't occur to me at first glance. But therein lies the long term danger, societal acceptance of what once was taboo or abhorred. Not that taboos can't be morally wrong either, something you can personally speak to, but we should always be vigilant for signs we're headed down a dangerous pathway.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
Has Rick even talked about the economy yet? It's all vaginas
Not much that I've heard of. Vaginas are predominant, and uterusus. Uteri. And only men can talk about those things. Women can and do have them, but we can't be included in the discussion of them. Maybe that will help the economy, women will be working and making money while men talk about our uteri.

Oh yeah, that's right-radical feminists are brainwashing the women to think that work is fulfilling. So I don't think that will work.

We could knit sweater vests and sell them from home.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Here's the actual answer as stated by Bob Schieffer during his interview with Rick Santorum Sunday on Face the Nation.

Quote:
BOB SCHIEFFER: Senator, I want to thank you very much for being with us this morning. I had hoped to ask you about some questions about the economy. But, frankly, you made so much news yesterday, out there on the campaign trail, I felt compelled to ask you about that. Thank you so much for being with us.
The media (i.e., the folks asking the questions) aren't asking about the economy, jobs, the debt or Iran (i.e., the real problems).
Old 02-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #50
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Including the right wing media...
Old 02-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
No, you're right, they're not. And they really should be, if for no other reason than to make Santorum shut the hell up about gays and abortion for two seconds and talk about something else.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
The media (i.e., the folks asking the questions) aren't asking about the economy, jobs, the debt or Iran (i.e., the real problems).
So it's the media's fault that Santorum is spending the majority of his time talking about social "issues"?
Old 02-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Here's the actual answer as stated by Bob Schieffer during his interview with Rick Santorum Sunday on Face the Nation.

That's absolutely part of the problem, but what drives more ratings? Again, news organizations are interested in viewers and money, because they're all corporations. When you have a libertarian policy on how media are run in this country, you end up with news organizations that have no accountability other than to make money. Maybe we should be looking at the greater issue: the news media structure as a whole. Maybe we shouldn't have corporations controlling our news outlets.

And it's not like Santorum is shying away from social issues.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:36 PM   #54
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:30 PM
Romney is talking about the economy:
First Read - Romney: Spending cuts slow economic growth

Quote:
Speaking in Shelby Township, MI, the former Massachusetts governor took a question about the Simpson-Bowles fiscal commission empaneled by President Obama to address the nation's deficit and debt issues. In his response, he said that addressing taxes and spending issues are essential.

"If you just cut, if all you're thinking about doing is cutting spending, as you cut spending you'll slow down the economy," he said in part of his response. "So you have to, at the same time, create pro-growth tax policies."
Old 02-21-2012, 08:38 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Aren't we glad that pro-life folks are never caricatured in a bad light on this forum.
To be frank, you help that caricature as much as anyone, my friend. Most of the time, I think you're content to come in here and yank the chains of the liberals of the forum. I think you could add a lot more than that, if you really wanted to.

Quote:
t is an astute observation, one that didn't occur to me at first glance. But therein lies the long term danger, societal acceptance of what once was taboo or abhorred. Not that taboos can't be morally wrong either, something you can personally speak to, but we should always be vigilant for signs we're headed down a dangerous pathway.
That's a fair point. Even a MSM digest like Time magazine seems to recognize the potential for this. They cited the same 90% study too.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

If we didn't occasionally yank each other's chains, we'd tire out and leave like Melon.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

^True.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I miss seeing Melon around here.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:15 AM   #59
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:30 PM
CNN, Feb 21
Quote:
Rick Santorum offered no apologies Tuesday for a controversial speech he gave in 2008 when he talked about the threat of Satan in America. “I’m a person of faith. I believe in good and evil,” Santorum said in response to questions from CNN.

Excerpts of Santorum’s speech were splashed across the conservative leaning Drudge Report for much of Tuesday. Santorum dismissed the Drudge article as “absurd...If they want to go ahead and dig up old speeches to a religious group they can go right ahead and do so. I'm going to stay on message. I'm going to talk about the things Americans want to talk about," Santorum said to CNN. When pressed further if he believed Satan was attacking America, as he said in his 2008 speech, Santorum insisted the subject is not on the minds of voters.
During his evening speech, the former Pennsylvania senator sounded confident about his chances in next Tuesday’s Arizona primary. “We’re not just here to debate. We’re here to win Arizona next Tuesday,” Santorum said in reference to Wednesday’s CNN Debate.
(Drudge is presumed to support Romney.) I'm sure the indignant "Voters don't want to hear about this" will satisfy many, as it did for Gingrich. I found the speech interesting as one reflection of how he views his own country.

from the transcript of Santorum's 2008 speech, at Ave Maria University (audio):
Quote:
This is not a political war at all. This is not a cultural war. This is a spiritual war. And the Father of Lies has his sights on what you would think the Father of Lies would have his sights on: a good, decent, powerful, influential country--the United States of America. If you were Satan, who would you attack in this day and age. There is no one else to go after other than the United States and that has been the case now for almost two hundred years, once America's preeminence was sown by our great Founding Fathers.

He didn't have much success in the early days. Our foundation was very strong, in fact, is very strong. But over time, that great, acidic quality of time corrodes even the strongest foundations. And Satan has done so by attacking the great institutions of America, using those great vices of pride, vanity, and sensuality as the root to attack all of the strong plants that has so deeply rooted in the American tradition.

He was successful. He attacks all of us and he attacks all of our institutions. The place where he was, in my mind, the most successful and first successful was in academia. He understood pride of smart people. He attacked them at their weakest, that they were, in fact, smarter than everybody else and could come up with something new and different. Pursue new truths, deny the existence of truth, play with it because they're smart. And so academia, a long time ago, fell.

And you say "what could be the impact of academia falling?" Well, I would have the argument that the other structures that I'm going to talk about here had root of their destruction because of academia. Because what academia does is educate the elites in our society, educates the leaders in our society, particularly at the college level. And they were the first to fall. And so what we saw this domino effect, once the colleges fell and those who were being education in our institutions, the next was the church. Now you’d say, ‘wait, the Catholic Church’? No. We all know that this country was founded on a Judeo-Christian ethic but the Judeo-Christian ethic was a Protestant Judeo-Christian ethic, sure the Catholics had some influence, but this was a Protestant country and the Protestant ethic, mainstream, mainline Protestantism, and of course we look at the shape of mainline Protestantism in this country and it is in shambles, it is gone from the world of Christianity as I see it. So they attacked mainline Protestantism, they attacked the Church, and what better way to go after smart people who also believe they’re pious to use both vanity and pride to also go after the Church.

After that, you start destroying the Church and you start destroying academia, the culture is where their next success was and I need not even go into the state of the popular culture today.
Whether its sensuality of vanity of the famous in America, they are peacocks on display and they have taken their poor behavior and made it fashionable. The corruption of culture, the corruption of manners, the corruption of decency is now on display whether it’s the NBA or whether it’s a rock concert or whether it’s on a movie set.

The fourth, and this was harder, now I know you’re going to challenge me on this one, but politics and government was the next to fall. You say, ‘you would think they would be the first to fall, as fallible as we are in politics,’ but people in political life get elected by ordinary folks from lots of places all over the country where the foundations of this country are still strong. So while we may certainly have had examples, the body politic held up fairly well up until the last couple of decades, but it is falling too.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 02-22-2012, 12:47 AM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Honestly, given his religious views in general, that speech doesn't really surprise me. It sure makes me want to do this, though: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
I miss seeing Melon around here.
So do I.