GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"I will answer whatever I want! Waaah!"

Mitt, what a giant douche.

That's not what he said. He said that you get to ask any question you want I will answer the question the way I want. Don't be so bitter

Reagan was 69 in 1980, when 69 was closer to grave health than it is now.
George HW Bush was 68 when he left office almost 20 years ago.
Eisenhower was 70 when he left office in the health climate of 1960.
Bob Dole was 73 in 1996 (and he's still alive 16 years later).
McCain was 72 when he ran in 2008.
Ron Paul is currently 76.
Newt will be 69 this June.
John Adams lived to be 90, Madison 85 and Jefferson 83.

I don't disagree with those speculations, but so much can happen between now and then. Will any of you say that anyone would have suggested Obama in Feb of 2004?

We wouldn't suggest anyone as dramatically unqualified as Obama was in Feb of 2004. And we all know it. Could something similar happen again, where a candidate falls from the sky and captures the zeitgeist of the mainstream media and the vast majority of the young voting public? Doubtful. Obama struck all the right chords with all the right people and rode a unique wave to the Presidency. We would need something similar to happen to an Independent third party candidate to really effectuate any kind of real change in DC. And even then, would probably run into even worse problems without having some blind partisan support.

Reagan was 69 in 1980, when 69 was closer to grave health than it is now.
George HW Bush was 68 when he left office almost 20 years ago.
Eisenhower was 70 when he left office in the health climate of 1960.
Bob Dole was 73 in 1996 (and he's still alive 16 years later).
McCain was 72 when he ran in 2008.
Ron Paul is currently 76.
Newt will be 69 this June.
John Adams lived to be 90, Madison 85 and Jefferson 83.

And I don't think the country wants this anymore. :shrug:

And I don't think the country wants this anymore. :shrug:

Because outside of the three Founders, I only listed Republicans?
Is that what you mean by "this"?

Joe Biden will be a few weeks short of 70 on election night.
Why doesn't the country want Joe Biden?

Because outside of the three Founders, I only listed Republicans?
Is that what you mean by "this"?

Joe Biden will be a few weeks short of 70 on election night.
Why doesn't the country want Joe Biden?

No, that's not what I meant at all, but nice try...

I just meant that I think the days of electing the post 65 year old are gone.

i'd be inclined to disagree. while youth and energy are always admired because they inspire things like, say, hope, i think there's a recognition that people just don't age in the way that they used to even 20 years ago. many people remain sharp and vital and at their best well into their 70s.

that said, i'm all for younger candidates so we can get beyond this Baby Boomer/Vietnam paralysis. i'd hoped Obama would be able to do that.

i think there's a recognition that people just don't age in the way that they used to even 20 years ago. many people remain sharp and vital and at their best well into their 70s.

This is true, but do you believe that as a society that we respect age as we used to?

I believe we're seeing quite a drastic change of age in CEOs of major businesses.

i don't think age has as much wear and tear on us as it used to, at least amongst wealthy, educated people who can afford good nutrition, exercise, and have jobs that keep them mentally engaged. the difference between baby boomers at 60 vs. the WW2 generation at 60 is quite dramatic. people stay younger longer. so it's less about respecting age than being able to keep it at bay longer.

I did watch the debate last night

and I did not really recall Romney sounding or looking bitter during the last question, I guest each of us can draw our own conclusions

there is a clip of it in this link

Romney Scolds CNN's King: 'You Get to Ask the Questions You Want, I Get to Give the Answers I Want' | NewsBusters.org

a longer clip would show that he does eventuall address the question

the biggest misconception about you?” Taking a page out of early Gingrich’s book, Romney treated it like a gotcha question: “you ask the questions you want– I give the answers I want.” He then proceeded to make the point that America needs “someone to lead the country” and said something about the Olympics. “If people think there is something else in my background, that they don’t want to vote for me, that’s up to them,” he continued, alluding perhaps to Obamacare.

i'd be inclined to disagree. while youth and energy are always admired because they inspire things like, say, hope, i think there's a recognition that people just don't age in the way that they used to even 20 years ago. many people remain sharp and vital and at their best well into their 70s.

Oh, definitely. If I like a candidate I'm voting for them, age be damned.

But...

that said, i'm all for younger candidates so we can get beyond this Baby Boomer/Vietnam paralysis. i'd hoped Obama would be able to do that.

Yes. This would be nice, too. I'd just like to look at Congress and see a little more variety-not just in age, but in gender and race and so on as well. And younger candidates are generally likely to get younger voters, because, well, they feel like the candidate has some idea of what their generation's concerned with.

During a 2008 “Press & People of Faith in Politics” forum, Rick Santorum described to the Democratic Party as “the party of Woodstock,” and accused lawmakers of “prey[ing] upon our most basic primal lusts.” Asked to name a couple of words he’d heard attached to religion and politics in his years in the Senate, Santorum listed “moderate,” “ultra-conservative,” “liberal,” and “zealous” before launching into a full-on tirade against Democrats:

“Woodstock is the great American orgy. This is who the Democratic Party has become. They have become the party of Woodstock. The prey upon our most basic primal lusts, and that’s sex. And the whole abortion culture, it’s not about life. It’s about sexual freedom. That’s what it’s about. Homosexuality. It’s about sexual freedom.”

“Woodstock is the great American orgy. This is who the Democratic Party has become. They have become the party of Woodstock. The prey upon our most basic primal lusts, and that’s sex. And the whole abortion culture, it’s not about life. It’s about sexual freedom. That’s what it’s about. Homosexuality. It’s about sexual freedom.”

. For a few decades we had knockdown, drag-out fights about how the sexual revolution was going to shake out, but now it’s sort of a done deal.

We’ve reached a national consensus. People in the educated class talk like social progressives and behave like traditionalists. People in the less educated classes talk like social conservatives and behave like libertines. Nearly everybody is cool with things like contraception. Most people want to restrict abortion without making it impossible and we’re kind of exhausted by the fight that never goes anywhere.

To me the thing that took the stuffing out of the culture wars is that the social fabric began to repair. Teenage pregnancy rates are down. Abortion rates are down. Crime is down. There are problems with the social fabric but they no longer have to do with the sexual revolution.

When Rick Santorum talks about this stuff in the way he does, it’s theology, not sociology. And believe me, there are very few Americans who are strongly theological, even the ones who attend services every week. ~ David Brooks

Who Decided That This Election Should Be About Sex? - NYTimes.com

i know quite a few people who were saved from this conservative cycle of unprotected sex, early pregnancy, quick marriage, unhappy marriage, affairs, divorce, second marriage, second pregnancy, second divorce, only by the fact that they were gay.

i kind of love that.

Wow, this guy is not only delusional but also stuck in another decade.

I was going to say...what the hell kind of calendar does he have up in his house?

Irvine, that bolded part in your quote from Brooks there is interesting. I think it's pretty spot on, too. I think progressively, but my own lifestyle could definitely be perceived as rather traditional. And I know some conservative people who would have to take a long, hard look in the mirror before they go around judging others for their "sins".

santheadline.png

I still can't get over the fact that New Gingrich won a state's primary because he cheated on his wives.

Step 1: Cheat on Wives
Step 2: Dodge question by yelling at moderator asking question and going off on a diatribe against the media
Step 3: Win primary

:lol:

Gotta admit, the guy knows that his base acts like petulant children as much as he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom