GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 4 - Page 39 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2012, 12:34 AM   #571
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb8844 View Post
Conveniently, right before the Penn. primary.
He kept saying he wanted to visit Penn State, but if he did, he would have faced unreal opposition after his comments that the university is biased. Probably for the best.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:02 AM   #572
Refugee

Local Time: 09:43 AM
Well, according to most all reports it looks like the Republican Primary is basically over. Wow. What I thought would be one of the most exciting and dramatic years turned out to be exactly the opposite. It was, for the most part, a clown show from beginning to end. In a year that had all the potential for a "new Ronald Reagan" figure to emerge (you guys don't know how lucky we all are that it didn't happen) that figure just failed to materialize. Now they are left with a flip flopping Mormon who half the Republican voters can't stand and will NOT vote for. The only wild card is Romney's VP choice. If he picks a "moderate" that means you guys have another four years at least until the "Dark Horse" comes a marching. If he doesn't, anything could happen. I guess we should breath a small sigh of relief that Republican voters and candidates were not as cunning and devious as I had come to believe they were. The problem remains though that after another 4 years of Obama they will NOT let 2016 slip away...so enjoy these last 4 years folks...the time is not quite nigh!!

Old 04-11-2012, 06:06 AM   #573
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Vest View Post
The problem remains though that after another 4 years of Obama they will NOT let 2016 slip away...so enjoy these last 4 years folks...the time is not quite nigh!!
This is something that troubles me deeply, yes. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the GOP just bides its time waiting for a proper rebellion in a year when they know they have a legitimate shot to regain control.

I'm kinda glad to think the primaries are pretty much done and we can move on from here on out. This was a show of, "Let's see how far to the right we can go" more than anything else, and it wasn't entertaining me, it was scaring the crap out of me. If/when Gingrich drops out, I'll just be happy as can be that I don't have to listen to him or Santorum spout their loony BS on a regular basis anymore (presuming, of course, that they aren't VP nominees or some political publication or media outlet of some kind doesn't make them pundits).

Like I said before, though, I will thoroughly enjoy watching the Republicans talk about how they'll stand behind Romney through clenched teeth. It's kind of funny to see them not getting what they wanted and being stuck with Stock Politician 2.0.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #574
Blue Crack Addict

No more Santorum bs

"Other people" We womenfolk are such freaking morons. We know nothing about politics or economics, and we need men to control our bodies and our uteri too.

http://jezebel.com/5900852/men-like-...ys-herman-cain

Men Like Mitt Romney Because They’re Better Informed Than ‘Other People,’ Says Herman Cain

"Yes, President Obama is very likable to most people, if you just look at him and his family. But if you look at his policies, which is what most people disagree with, it's a different story. And I think many men are much more familiar with the failed policies than a lot of other people, as well as the general public."
Old 04-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #575
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I think Herman Cain's view on women have been very apparent from the start.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:15 AM   #576
45:33

Local Time: 02:43 AM
Can someone explain why you're only allowed two terms? Like if Obama wins this year, and then let's say does a really awesome job up until 2016, why does he have to go? It seems a bit like "well, let's give everybody a go". What if the candidates in 2016 suck?
Old 04-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #577
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

It came about when many were concerned with the abuse of power. Coming from a monarchy, many were fearful of one person having power for too long.

Throughout the last few decades people have tried to repeal this ammendment, starting when Reagan was president(interesting given how much conservatives try and treat the Constitution as some divinely written not up to interpretation document) and a few Democrats since then, but it's never really gained any momentum.

I completely understand the reasoning, but in the same breath very much on the fence. Part of me likes the idea of term limits for Congress, when you have some career politicians it seems like the longer you're in the more affected you are, therefore more prone to always favor the system over the people. But still there are some long term members that have done great things for this country and at the end of the day shouldn't it be up to the people?
Old 04-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #578
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Classy thoughts from Cain there, as always . Such sweet talkers, those guys-and the Republicans can't figure out why women are backing away from them as quickly as possible.

I'm in agreement with BVS's post on that issue, and the "up to the people to decide" thing is the strongest point I could think of for being against term limits, and a great point at that. But ultimately, I would have to lean towards supporting term limits, no matter how awesome the candidate. We've seen how power can corrupt people when they're only there a few short years, I'd shudder to think of what could happen if someone just had unlimited power. Even good people can get corrupted, or if not that, get stuck in their own era's mindset and not be aware of the changes and needs of the coming generations.

And no term limits sound great if it's a candidate you like, definitely, like Obama. But imagine a President Santorum, for instance, being president for as long as he wants.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #579
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Can someone explain why you're only allowed two terms? Like if Obama wins this year, and then let's say does a really awesome job up until 2016, why does he have to go? It seems a bit like "well, let's give everybody a go". What if the candidates in 2016 suck?
presidents had unofficially done it for ages since that was how many terms washington served before he decided to retire. the only president we've ever had to serve more than two is fdr - he served three, was elected for four (he died before his fourth term started). it was made official after he died when the amendment was added to the constitution.

and yes like angela said, you've also got to look at the worst of it too. bush could still be president if it weren't for the term limitations. i frankly think we should have these in place for all levels of government office. i'm sick of career politicians, and i don't see how an 80 year old senator is fucking helpful anyway. eight years is plenty of time to do your thing and hand the reins over to someone else. if you were good, it'd be whoever you endorsed. if the tides have turned, then the other side gets a shot.

and cain's irrelevant. i hadn't even thought of him since he left the race in disgrace. this is just a way for him to get a headline, plain and simple. he needs to sit down.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #580
Blue Crack Addict

Every position should be one term. That way no one legislates with re-election in mind.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #581
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:43 AM
I agree with one-term for each candidate. From a town mayor to the President, no one should be a career politician. As the saying goes, in with the new, out with the old.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:24 PM   #582
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Every position should be one term. That way no one legislates with re-election in mind.
There's an idea. I could go for that.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:41 AM   #583
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan
And instead they legislate with the person paying for their golf trip to Scotland in mind? Or else totally ignore their constituents?

Being beholden to constituents can be both good and bad.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:46 AM   #584
ONE
love, blood, life

They should just put all of the tax dollars that pay the politicians in a big pool and have the state vote on who gets what.

That'll teach em to give the people what they want.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:45 AM   #585
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:43 AM
I'd like to take a different tack and suggest that the president should be elected for life unless he loses the support of the Praetorian guard or incurs the wrath of God (as evidenced by famine/plague/tsunami/appearance of better armed rival).