GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 4 - Page 37 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #541
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:46 PM
The entire GOP establishment, and much of the Democrats who depend on donations from defense contractors, are still scared of the "red menace".

America is a country that can't get over its own Cold War period.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #542
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:46 PM
Count me as a Mitt man after tonight. Loved his speech tonight but especially this framing of the choice Americans will have this fall.

Quote:
The president has pledged to "transform" America and he's spent the last four years laying the foundation for a new government-centered society. I will spend the next four years rebuilding the foundation of an opportunity society led by free people and free enterprises.
Mitt gets it even down to understanding the important distinction between free enterprise and capitalism.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:30 PM   #543
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Oh, please.

First off, yes, Republicans have a great understanding of the word "free" when it comes to people, sure.

Second, yeah, capitalism is doing so horribly in the country right now, those Wall Street guys are REALLY hurting badly and corporations are suffering soooooooo much right now.

Not to mention, let's wait and see if Mitt's still holding that same position tomorrow, let alone a week from now.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:45 AM   #544
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Count me as a Mitt man after tonight. Loved his speech tonight but especially this framing of the choice Americans will have this fall..
More like a Mitt man not Obama man?

That's the usual choice I get when voting absentee ballot for US elections....I vote "not the other guy".

It's rather ironic you're highlighting a Romney quote that is nothing more than the same brand of empty populism from Obama '08 that turned sour pretty quickly.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:29 AM   #545
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Count me as a Mitt man after tonight. Loved his speech tonight but especially this framing of the choice Americans will have this fall.

Mitt gets it even down to understanding the important distinction between free enterprise and capitalism.
Wasn't it the right that accused folks of voting for a man based on making good speeches?
Old 04-04-2012, 08:22 AM   #546
you are what you is

Local Time: 08:46 PM
A Quantum Theory of Mitt Romney
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 04-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #547
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
It's rather ironic you're highlighting a Romney quote that is nothing more than the same brand of empty populism from Obama '08 that turned sour pretty quickly.
Good luck finding a notable quotation from President Obama on personal liberty.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #548
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500

Because an interracial child, raised by a single mother, who worked his way up from a lower middle class upbringing to the most powerful position in the world would know nothing of the subject?
Old 04-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #549
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:46 PM
Quote:
President Obama obviously doesn't believe in personal liberty.

Quote:
But I do have an unyielding belief that all people yearn for certain things: the ability to speak your mind and have a say in how you are governed, confidence in the rule of law and the equal administration of justice, government that is transparent and doesn't steal from the people, the freedom to live as you choose.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #550
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:46 PM
Quote:
His policy of "You can fuck over our economy and get away with it if you're a CEO" seems pretty supportive of free enterprise, no?
Old 04-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #551
ONE
love, blood, life

I will be interested to see how Romney is going to shrug off the fact that the Ryan budget proposes spending $ 4.6 trillion on tax cuts over a ten-year period.

Spending cuts and lower deficits, indeed!

You can bet that little juicy tidbit got shuffled into the deck of DNC talking points for November.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #552
ONE
love, blood, life

The opinion of one leading analyst (college-educated, not downhome tootin', most likely elitist), via The Diplomat.

Quote:
Republicans and the Smithsonian
By Jason Miks
April 3, 2012

“You can still find the Rockefeller wing of the Republican Party – it’s in the back hallway of the Smithsonian museum.”

That was leading U.S. political analyst Charlie Cook’s assessment of the state of the party at the seminar at Loyola University in New Orleans I mentioned last week. “It’s not enough to be conservative now,” he said. “You have to be passionate – you have to show you’re angry.”

Voters head to the polls in two states and the District of Columbia today in the latest round of voting in the Republican primary process. But, according to Cook, the race is as good as done. “This thing’s over. It doesn’t seem like it is, but it’s over…So I wish the anchors on these election night specials would switch to decaff by about 4 pm.”

Certainly frontrunner Mitt Romney could take another step forward tonight if he manages to sweep the contests, something that polls show him on course to do. The only real chance for his main rival, Rick Santorum, is for a surprise win in Wisconsin. But with the Republican establishment now more openly coalescing around Romney, it would still take a minor political miracle – even for a race that has had seven different frontrunners – to upend the Romney bandwagon at this stage.

Looking ahead, Cook said that the election is likely going to be won or lost on the economy, and the most reliable indicators for predicting the result, he said, are real disposable income and the president’s job approval rating.

“I think the outcome has two-thirds to do with the economy in the next seven months. If it continues as it is, Obama wins.”

Still, Cook said there’s also a political element. “How will he (Romney) make the turn, and how long will it take him to reposition himself and get back to appeal to independent voters?”

“I think this is going to close up and be an awfully, awfully close race.”

Either way, Sarah Palin has suggested that the eventual Republican nominee choose someone such as herself as a running mate, The Hill reports today.

“What I would advise the nominee, Mitt Romney, or whomever the nominee is: Don't necessarily play it safe and do just what the GOP establishment expects them to do.” Palin said.

With Romney looking like an increasingly sure bet, the media is increasingly turning to such issues, but when I asked Cook about this, he warned against any such transformational selections. He also questioned the logic of nominees picking someone who fills in their blanks, noting, for example, the success that Bill Clinton had with fellow southerner Al Gore. Instead, he said it’s better to pick candidates that reinforce the message of the candidate himself.

So, who would he recommend that Romney pick if he does indeed become the nominee?

Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels and Ohio Sen. Rob Portman both sprang to mind when I asked Cook for some suggestions.

I’ll have something on the results later.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:03 PM   #553
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
I will be interested to see how Romney is going to shrug off the fact that the Ryan budget proposes spending $ 4.6 trillion on tax cuts over a ten-year period.
What's the source for that number? Ryan proposes lowering tax rates but also eliminating tax loopholes and deductions with a goal of neutrality. And reductions in corporate tax rates to spur economic growth.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:27 PM   #554
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:46 PM

Quote:

Old 04-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #555
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
You mean like the "personal liberty" Republicans aren't willing to extend to gay people in regards to them having equal rights, or women having the right to take care of their own bodies? That kind of personal liberty?