GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 4 - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #286
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:17 AM
Doesn't surprise me one bit

Rick Santorum Frequently Losing Vote Of Fellow Catholics In Primaries

Reuters

By Andy Sullivan

Rick Santorum has put his Catholic faith front and center as he courts religious conservatives in his bid for the Republican presidential nomination. That may be hurting his chances with a crucial group of voters: his fellow Catholics.

Santorum has lost the Catholic vote consistently in states that have held nominating contests so far, exit polls show.

The pattern underscores Santorum's continued inability to broaden his appeal beyond a core of voters, mostly evangelical Protestants, who place social issues like abortion and gay marriage at the top of the agenda.

Santorum's staunch opposition to birth control and gay marriage may line up with church doctrine, but could alienate Catholic voters who typically make up their own minds on such matters, analysts say.

"It's not easy to describe the typical Catholic anymore. We've always traditionally been the big tent that included people of all stripes," said Thomas Reese, director of the Woodstock Theological Center, a Jesuit research institute affiliated with Georgetown University.

Politically, Catholics are as diverse as the country as a whole. Some 36 percent describe themselves as conservatives, 16 percent as liberal and 38 percent as moderate, according to the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life.

President Barack Obama won 55 percent of the Catholic vote in the 2008 election, nearly identical to his margin among the population as a whole.

Catholic voters are split evenly on whether abortion should be illegal and whether the government should do more to protect morality, the research group found.

Despite church teachings against birth control, some 98 percent of sexually experienced Catholic women of child-bearing age have used contraception at some point, according to a 2011 study by the Guttmacher Institute.

Santorum isn't the only Catholic candidate in the battle to win the Republican nomination and face Obama in the November 6 election. Newt Gingrich has described how his 2009 conversion to Catholicism has helped him find a new spiritual peace, and he and his wife, Callista, have made a documentary about former Pope John Paul II.

Santorum has made his faith a central part of his candidacy. On the campaign trail, his seven children provide a visual reminder of his opposition to birth control. He has made common cause with Catholic bishops who oppose the Obama administration's new plan to require health insurers to cover contraception.

That uncompromising stance appeals to some Catholics.

"I feel Santorum has better moral clarity than the other candidates," said Ohio Wesleyan University student Marissa Alfano, a Catholic who cited the birth-control controversy as a reason for her support.

But so far, Mitt Romney - a Mormon - has had the most success with Catholic voters.

Romney has won the Catholic vote in eight of 10 states for which exit-poll data is available, often winning a bigger margin among Catholics than among the electorate as a whole.

Gingrich won the Catholic vote in his South Carolina victory, while Santorum narrowly won Catholics in Tennessee on Tuesday.

Santorum didn't help his cause when he said that President John F. Kennedy's 1960 speech calling for separation of church and state made him want to "throw up." Santorum has since said he regretted criticizing the Catholic icon.

As the results came in on Tuesday night, Santorum hunkered down in Steubenville, Ohio, a small city that is home to Franciscan University, a Catholic college with a conservative reputation.

At the rally, George Houston, a theology student at the school, said he wasn't thrilled with Santorum, or any of the other candidates.

"They're all imperfect. You have to filter the good from the bad," he said.

Santorum went on to narrowly lose the state to Romney. Among Catholic voters, who accounted for one in every three voters, it wasn't even close: Romney took 44 percent, while Santorum won 31 percent.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:29 PM   #287
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 11:17 PM
Quote:
Santorum's staunch opposition to birth control and gay marriage may line up with church doctrine, but could alienate Catholic voters who typically make up their own minds on such matters, analysts say.
Shocker, the idea that people might think for themselves, isn't it?

Quote:
"I feel Santorum has better moral clarity than the other candidates," said Ohio Wesleyan University student Marissa Alfano, a Catholic who cited the birth-control controversy as a reason for her support.
I really wish I knew what "moral clarity" meant nowadays. It's become one of those things that gets thrown around so much and has lost any sort of meaning.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #288
Blue Crack Addict

I cringe every time I drive by my church's "Pray to End Abortion" sign.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #289
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
I really wish I knew what "moral clarity" meant nowadays. It's become one of those things that gets thrown around so much and has lost any sort of meaning.
It means "agreement with the person who uses the term 'moral clarity'".
Old 03-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #290
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Shocker, the idea that people might think for themselves, isn't it?
i know! it's a relatively new and radical concept among christianity as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
I cringe every time I drive by my church's "Pray to End Abortion" sign.
ugh. the catholic church near my parents puts a cross on their lawn for every abortion performed...during some period, i don't know. it's a lot of crosses, so i'm guessing it's annually. they don't leave them up year round but it's on the busiest road in that area so any woman who had one gets a nice little reminder every day when they're up.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #291
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Good grief, are you serious? Overdoing it much there, are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
It means "agreement with the person who uses the term 'moral clarity'".
Pretty much, yeah.

When I lived in Nebraska, I remember seeing signs along the roads every so often that said, "Abortion stops a beating heart". No crap, really?
Old 03-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #292
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Good grief, are you serious? Overdoing it much there, are they?
sadly, yes. i don't remember if it's for the memphis area or all of tennessee, but regardless it's ridiculous. but also practically across the street is the one of the largest megachurches in the nation (i think?) with three large, gaudy crosses designed to be seen from the interstate.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:25 PM   #293
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
sadly, yes. i don't remember if it's for the memphis area or all of tennessee, but regardless it's ridiculous. but also practically across the street is the one of the largest megachurches in the nation (i think?) with three large, gaudy crosses designed to be seen from the interstate.
Ah, well, there we go, then. Overdoing it is obviously their style.

Megachurches creep me the hell (no pun intended) out. They really do.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:14 AM   #294
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:17 AM
For you, Indie

Old 03-09-2012, 05:39 AM   #295
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Ah, well, there we go, then. Overdoing it is obviously their style.

Megachurches creep me the hell (no pun intended) out. They really do.
oh yeah, and agreed. i heard in the news recently that santorum paid a visit last week and visited said megachurch, including attending a service. wtf.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #296
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post

i think that dude is mad because she won't have sex with him, so that makes her a slut.

i'm still in shock that the Democrats were politically skillful enough, and the GOP insane enough, to make this cartoon essentially the dominant political narrative of the past month.

like, they just did to the GOP what the GOP has done to the Democrats for decades.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #297
ONE
love, blood, life

David Axelrod, or whoever came up with the strategy of using this contraceptive issue to stir up support for Santorum in the GOP base while also making Republicans look crazy to moderates, is brilliant. But it was also a bit dirty.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #298
Blue Crack Supplier

in other GOP news, Mitt Romney likes grits and the economy isn't getting any better at all.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #299
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:17 AM
If there is indeed an oil shock this year (seemingly more and more likely) and Americans are feeling the strain every day, I think the scales will tip in Mittens' favour.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #300
ONE
love, blood, life

I can make oil cheaper and everything else more expensive!