GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 4 - Page 18 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2012, 04:21 PM   #256
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:40 PM
If the GOP are this divided, they should split into another party. Have the tea party, religious nut jobs split off and form their own party, and quit piggybacking on the Republican platform to get elected.

And hopefully the more moderate, true conservative (not just obstrunctionist type), less focused on social issues can come back to the party.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #257
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:40 PM
keep in mind these nuts are already split offs from the other major party.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #258
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:40 PM
It's sad that Romney sold his soul to earn the votes of voters that hate 'flip-flopping' almost worse than anything else.

Or to be more specific, they hate unprincipled 'say anything to get your vote' politicians.
That was part of the John McCain lesson of 2008. I was a McCain guy back in 2000, I like the straight-talk war hero, etc. Hell, everyone liked him a little bit. But he sold his soul too. Of course the 2008 economic downturn (in large part) cost him the election, but you can't convince me that he wouldn't have had a better run at it, had he not compromised and contorted himself.

And it makes me respect John Huntsman just that much more.

Otherwise this thing would have long been over. I think conservatives, urban or rural, get the idea that it takes a more moderate conservative to get elected in November. What they can't stomach is a politician that thinks you are so dumb that he can lie to your face like Romney does. Maybe some of those voters are dumb, but they'll likely be voting for the most Right Wing candidate anyhow. But a lot of those average conservatives, despite the caricatures perpetuated by the ignorant media, aren't dumb at all. They believe what they believe, but they don't like being taken for a fool.

You have to be utterly brain dead to not understand Romney is a flip-flopper, and then to see him denying it...what does that say about how he thinks about the targeted audience of those denials? You'd have to think they are just as stupid as Romney does...and that's why so many people can't understand why they don't want Romney. These same people think 'those people' are idiots. And they aren't.

Think about it. That is the Romney problem in a nutshell.
Will it prevent him from winning in November? I don't know.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:03 PM   #259
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2DMfan View Post
I think conservatives, urban or rural, get the idea that it takes a more moderate conservative to get elected in November. What they can't stomach is a politician that thinks you are so dumb that he can lie to your face like Romney does. Maybe some of those voters are dumb, but they'll likely be voting for the most Right Wing candidate anyhow. But a lot of those average conservatives, despite the caricatures perpetuated by the ignorant media, aren't dumb at all. They believe what they believe, but they don't like being taken for a fool.
Absolutely true. It's really offensive sometimes the way politicians and the media patronize the voters. People get so caught up in regional, big city versus small town BS that they forget that just because you live in a certain area doesn't mean you're automatically going to conform to the stereotypes and belief systems.

I know it's cliche and I know that it's an idealistic wish, but note to the politicians: quit "pretending" to relate to the voters and just be yourself and be honest. For once.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #260
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:40 PM
The GOP sort of did it to themselves, though. They made the health care that Obama proposed (the Obamacare name is retarded) a massive fucking deal, even though it was entirely reasonable. In doing so, they alienated their most electable 2012 candidate, because his one caveat was that he had supported the exact same health care plan that Obama did. They put him in a no-win situation. Either the GOP was going to have to flip-flop or he was.

The bottom line is that the GOP buries itself by trying to make reasonable proposals look like the apocalypse. This health care plan was reasonable. Romney is a smart guy: he knew it was reasonable. That's why it happened in Massachusetts.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #261
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
He'll win more than 50% of the delegates at stake last night, which is pretty impressive in a four-way race.
LOL.

Formidable competition he's got.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #262
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
The GOP sort of did it to themselves, though. They made the health care that Obama proposed (the Obamacare name is retarded) a massive fucking deal, even though it was entirely reasonable.

it was also pretty much Romney's plan and considered mainstream GOP policy up until Obama proposed it (after having rewritten it specifically for Republican Olympia Snowe).
Old 03-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #263
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

No one but Diamond is excited about Romney. So the question you have to ask yourself if you are a Republican, is the "anything but Obama vote" really that strong?

It didn't work against Bush.

I don't know if it is or not, I think there's a certain portion of the country that believes everyone hates Obama and that this next election is in the can no matter what suit they put up there. I think these people live in a bubble.

Now that doesn't mean the majority love Obama or are happy with things the way they are now, but I think he has reality on his side. Or at least I would hope so...

But who knows, it's still a long ways from now to November. I'm just suprised that this is all the GOP were capable of handing us. They honestly had it made, but I think at the end of the day they shot themselves in the foot.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #264
Blue Crack Supplier

it seems like Kerry in 2004 was a much stronger candidate than Romney is in 2012.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #265
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS
No one but Diamond is excited about Romney. So the question you have to ask yourself if you are a Republican, is the "anything but Obama vote" really that strong?

It didn't work against Bush.

I don't know if it is or not, I think there's a certain portion of the country that believes everyone hates Obama and that this next election is in the can no matter what suit they put up there. I think these people live in a bubble.

Now that doesn't mean the majority love Obama or are happy with things the way they are now, but I think he has reality on his side. Or at least I would hope so...

But who knows, it's still a long ways from now to November. I'm just suprised that this is all the GOP were capable of handing us. They honestly had it made, but I think at the end of the day they shot themselves in the foot.
I heard someone on tv, I don't remember who, say that the reason Christie and Daniels didn't run is because they didn't think Obama could be beat in 2012 and would rather wait until 2016.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #266
Blue Crack Supplier

what the GOP base doesn't get is that Obama is widely liked. job approval is a slightly different thing, but people generally like Obama personally. if the economy continues to improve he's probably unbeatable barring a major disaster of some sort.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #267
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

So Breitbart's and Hannity's "nail in the coffin" video ended up being nothing but a weak attempt to make a link to an irrelevant "radical"?

Anything for ratings...
Old 03-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #268
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Did you vote?
No, I worked so late that by the time I could get out the polls were closing.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #269
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
I just saw recaps on "The Daily Show" of CNN's coverage from last night, complete with their usual over-the-top technology.

Holy shit, those people have WAY too much time on their hands.

And I heard Mitt Romney talking about how on November 6th, his win meant that our future was saved. Uh-huh.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:59 AM   #270
The Fly

Local Time: 04:40 PM
I am supporting Mitt. I don't agree with some of his views, however, I feel like he is the candidate most capable of turning the economy around and getting people back to work; and for me that is the most important issue.