GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But if a candidate smoked pot when he was in college...eh. Not exactly a bombshell news story. More like a, "No duh, who didn't?" story.

I'm not a Romney supporter, but I'd definitely prefer he be the nominee, because the others are just...insane, for one thing, and I don't want to have to hear them talk and spew nonsense for the next year (and even though I logically know they have nearly no chance of winning, there's always going to be that part of me that worries, "Yeah, but...what if...?").

Second, if Romney is indeed going to be genuine competition against Obama, good. If that means that gets Obama to fight back more and get tougher on the stuff he really wants to do, to prove to people why he deserves a second term, I'm all for that.

(Plus, given how many Republicans are so deadset on anyone BUT Romney, watching them have to try and praise him and support him for the next year while squirming will be sort of a guilty pleasure of mine :p)

Right, who cares if a candidate smoked pot in college? Really! It will be nice watching the anti-Romney fringe, teabaggers, & wingnuts come out and support him even though it makes them uncomfortable.

It's nice to be in agreement on some things :).

Absolutely!

:up::hug:

John Kerry took the stage at the 2004 Democratic convention with a salute and the phrase "Im John Kerry and I'M reporting for duty" This was an obvious swipe at George Bush who was accused by the Dan Rather's and the Michael Moore's' of being AWOL from the military/ Air National Guard during Vietnam.

Wow, that's quite a stretch to go from Kerry's statement to then accusing him of pandering to the crazies. Here's how I see it: Kerry went to war. Bush, on the other hand, chose (and was granted an unusually quick acceptance despite low scores) an option that would 1)allow him to avoid being drafted into the war and 2)fulfill his military duty in the States. Not that I blame him for seeking that option, mind you - but then I don't have any aspirations to be president.

Was Kerry's "I'm reporting for duty" a swipe at Bush? Sure, but I don't think he had to have believed the Rather report to make it.

Mrs. Garrison said:
John Kerry took the stage at the 2004 Democratic convention with a salute and the phrase "Im John Kerry and I'M reporting for duty" This was an obvious swipe at George Bush who was accused by the Dan Rather's and the Michael Moore's' of being AWOL from the military/ Air National Guard during Vietnam. It was later dis-proven and Dan Rather even lost his job for airing a hack story. Michael Moore had a similar claim on his website which he supposedly offered $10k to anyone who could refute or disprove.

As a footnote, when i left active duty military i went into the National Guard for 15 months. Before my term ended in the guard i was offered a contracting job overseas with the government, so i requested and was granted an early discharge from the Guard. Thing is, they screwed up and kept me on their books, which meant they kept me on their manpower rosters and kept insurance on me, and i was funded on all of their drills and maneuvers. Even though i was out of the country and had the discharge in my hand. Years later i found out that i owed back taxes on the money which i failed to pay for my portion of the insurance, due to the fact that i did not draw any drill pay (because that part of me was separated from them).

Once i had paid them the money that i had supposedly owed to the state (not federal), i hired an attorney to investigate this on my behalf to try and make sure everything was legit. Come to find out, they had no record of me even having served in the guard unit, despite the Honorable Discharge i had and the LES (leave and earning statements) that they had sent me for the time i actually served. Surprised?

You and I clearly have different definitions of "catering to crazies".

Well the left was hellbent on swiftboating gw the same way Kerry was but the difference was the swiftboating was morrow accurate than Dan rathers hit piece..so yes the left has crazies who would love to believe lies.

And Kerry took that bait making a dig at gw bush...cos he thought Dan rathers bogus hit piece was truth.

Re Romney..the right is afraid of transformational leadership..as fdr and churchill were right for their times..Romney is right for ours bvs..

Romney looks like a rich guy who's worried that the taxes on his capital gains may go up and he's really worried about it.

and that's about it.

and he will be the most gay-friendly GOP nominee ever

"As you know, I don't discriminate," Romney said. "And in the appointments that I made -- when I was governor of Massachusetts, a member of my cabinet was gay. I appointed people to the bench, regardless of their sexual orientation. Made it very clear that, in my view, we should not discriminate in hiring policies, in legal policies.

"At the same time, from the very beginning, in 1994, I said to the gay community, 'I do not favor same-sex marriage,'" Romney added. "I oppose same-sex marriage. And that has been my, my view. But, if people are looking for someone who -- who will discriminate against gays or will in any way -- try and suggest that people, that, that have different sexual orientation don't have full rights in this country, they won't find that in me."

Showing even if we work hard there are no guarantees...

I think he's just saying that to look good to voters. Even if Bain had fired him he could have lived well off of inheritance and family wealth until he got another job. So I don't feel that empathetic. Don't think many of the workers that lost their jobs via Bain had the same luxury.

A lot folks lose jobs as technologies and industries change..I think mittens has a heart a soul and is compssionate. He's not Gordon ghecko..and I think that fact will bear out..as the race continues..
I think he's just saying that to look good to voters. Even if Bain had fired him he could have lived well off of inheritance and family wealth until he got another job. So I don't feel that empathetic. Don't think many of the workers that lost their jobs via Bain had the same luxury.

Predictions for New Hampshire tomorrow:

1) Romney- 36%
2) Paul- 23%
3) Huntsman- 17%
4) Gingrich- 14%
5) Santorum- 8%
6) Perry- 2%

Nobody drops out before South Carolina.

Rick Santorum focuses on gay marriage - latimes.com

Rick Santorum focuses on gay marriage

He suggests to a New Hampshire audience that an imprisoned father is preferable to a same-sex parent.

Reporting from Manchester, N.H.—
For the second time in as many days, Rick Santorum waded into the issue of gay marriage, suggesting it was so important for children to have both a father and mother that an imprisoned father was preferable to a same-sex parent.

Citing the work of one anti-poverty expert, Santorum said, "He found that even fathers in jail who had abandoned their kids were still better than no father at all to have in their children's lives."
Allowing gays to marry and raise children, Santorum said, amounts to "robbing children of something they need, they deserve, they have a right to. You may rationalize that that isn't true, but in your own life and in your own heart, you know it's true."

At a private boarding school Friday, the Republican presidential candidate's voice grew emotional as he argued that only a man and woman should be able to marry. "Marriage is not a right," Santorum said. "It's a privilege that is given to society by society for a reason.... We want to encourage what is the best for children."

oh for god's sake.

a heterosexual couple where the man has walked out, died, whatever, and the mother is left to raise children on her own is a much, much, much, much different thing than a family with two gay parents.

Ted Nugent won the endorsement of Homer Simpson last night.

ted-nugent-on-the-simpsons_533x300.jpg

If only.

Oh shiz..Huntsman is playing beautiful day at his rally..someday unplug the boom bix and mess up his hair. He does have a cute wife. Somebody needs to untweak his eye brows though..

Huntsman is just plain warmed over milk toast down right careeeepy...a bad actor..
Funny that you put that label on Huntsman, when I am assuming you are supporting Captain Temple Garments.

-- c1131 --

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom