GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 3 - Page 65 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #961
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:31 AM
job 1. - lock up the nomination

Romney Wins CPAC Presidential Straw Poll | Fox News

job 2. - win in November

Old 02-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #962
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
Actually, I kind of see it the opposite.

With Gingrich and Santorum, you have two guys who have legacies that badly need to be repaired- Gingrich from being thrown out of the Speakership and Santorum from losing re-election in 2006 by 20 points. I truly think that was their sole reason for running in 2012- to try to run an honorable, positive campaign (with no realistic expectation of going anywhere), and then ending their careers on a better note than they otherwise would have. But since all the non-Romneys proved to be sub-par candidates, I think they were legitimately surprised when they actually started gaining some traction.

With Romney you've got a guy who is incredibly wealthy, has a massive family to keep him busy, could probably get a job anywhere in the country if he wanted one, and has no legacy that needs repairing. Yet he seems to have a knack and a passion for turning things around, and feels he would be a competent fit for the presidency and the needs of America right now. But unlike the others, he in no way "needs" this run for office.
That's my impression also. I could be deluding myself but I'd like to think Romney is in this race for the right reasons, in a way that the other GOP candidates aren't (excepting Paul and Huntsman, and the latter has dropped out, while the former has had a poor run of results of late). Let's face it, there have been easier times in the nation's history, to put it mildly, to run for President. Granted, he seems to have a hard time demonstrating to the public that he's in it for the right reasons, but it's early days yet.

There is an optics issue around his wealth and the perception that the Presidency should not be handed out as a bauble for a rich man, but if we are going to disqualify rich men from running for President, well, that pretty much disqualifies all the current candidates, none of whom, last time I checked, are on the breadline.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #963
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
That's my impression also. I could be deluding myself but I'd like to think Romney is in this race for the right reasons, in a way that the other GOP candidates aren't (excepting Paul and Huntsman, and the latter has dropped out, while the former has had a poor run of results of late). Let's face it, there have been easier times in the nation's history, to put it mildly, to run for President. Granted, he seems to have a hard time demonstrating to the public that he's in it for the right reasons, but it's early days yet..
Romney could easily be running as a Democrat in the post-9/11 American political landscape.

I honestly look at him as a white Obama at this point, except with some private sector experience slashing and burning unprofitable companies. It is a bit worrying, however, knowing your well-founded skepticism, Financeguy, that you seem to be glossing over the fact that he is the same kind of falsely warm and calculating political shark that Obama is; easily playing the long game.

He might have gotten my vote if he wasn't attached to a party full of antiquated, hateful social policies and closeted homosexuals pretending they love America, oil, and vaginas. It's sad but I think of a Republican POTUS more in terms of long-term damage to America from handing out a couple of SCOTUS appointments.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #964
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
It is a bit worrying, however, knowing your well-founded skepticism, Financeguy, that you seem to be glossing over the fact that he is the same kind of falsely warm and calculating political shark that Obama is; easily playing the long game.
Not to mention that for all the concerns about plutocracy taking over, FG suddenly seem to not mind at all that if there is one candidate who really and truly IS the plutocracy, it's Romney.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #965
Blue Crack Addict

Mitt Romney bounces back, wins Maine caucuses - latimes.com

Maine was Paul's best shot

looks good for Romney from here on out, Ohio is kind of important,
expect a couple bible belt states to go Gingrich
Old 02-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #966
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Not to mention that for all the concerns about plutocracy taking over, FG suddenly seem to not mind at all that if there is one candidate who really and truly IS the plutocracy, it's Romney.
I've been a Ron Paul advocate since way back when, but I've also learned to be realistic. If there's anyone I've been shilling for on this forum, it's Ron Paul.

Romney is not even in my top five preferred candidates. With the GOP candidates, I prefer Paul and Huntsman. If we are to include candidates that were encouraged to throw their hat in the ring, but decided they were not interested, I would prefer Bloomberg to Romney - and I have many reservations about Bloomberg - so that should tell you something about how I view Romney.

If we were to go back to 2008, Kucinch was infinitely preferable to me than Obama as a Democratic candidate, given my firm anti-war and pacifist views, but like Paul, realistically, he is unelectable.

It seems that on this forum, on the one hand I'm bashed for conspiracy theories, on the other, I'm now shilling for the plutocrat candidate! In my opinion, Obama is a crap president, and if it's between him and Romney, my preference would be for the latter. That's really about it from my point of view.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #967
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
It's sad but I think of a Republican POTUS more in terms of long-term damage to America from handing out a couple of SCOTUS appointments.

Sad or not, that is the reality.

I do expect a GOP Senate and House, GOP will lose some House seats but keep majority.

And with that in mind, even a reasonable GOP like Romney, is a no go for me.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #968
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Old 02-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #969
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Sad or not, that is the reality.

I do expect a GOP Senate and House, GOP will lose some House seats but keep majority.

And with that in mind, even a reasonable GOP like Romney, is a no go for me.
It is true.

It's very unfortunate that the SCOTUS is such a politicized body in the US. There also happen to be probably 3 very distinctly possible retirements over the next 5 years - Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Kennedy and Scalia (God willing!!).
Old 02-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #970
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonosSaint View Post
I'm no fan of Santorum. I never voted for him as Senator and will never vote for him as President, but I'm thinking the emotions he might have been referring to were men's emotions--ie, thinking they might be more protective of a woman in a battle situation than they were another man and that the focus would be more on protecting the woman than on the mission. That might be an initial response but I figure the men would get over it soon enough.

Then again, Rick Santorum is a douchebag. I've never understood why anyone would decide what would make EVERY woman happy as if we are interchangeable and as if we might not harbor some of the same ambitions other human beings (ie, men) might have. But perhaps, we are not in the full human being category to them. I'm kind of thinking the people who decide what's best for women lean that way. Women serve; men get to soar.
If he meant male emotions, I still find it offensive. I think in light of his overall attitude and statements going back for years, he has a certain mindset that's rather obvious.

Like I have said here already even before his recent comments, the thought of him being POTUS scares me.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #971
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
Actually, I kind of see it the opposite.

With Gingrich and Santorum, you have two guys who have legacies that badly need to be repaired- Gingrich from being thrown out of the Speakership and Santorum from losing re-election in 2006 by 20 points. I truly think that was their sole reason for running in 2012- to try to run an honorable, positive campaign (with no realistic expectation of going anywhere), and then ending their careers on a better note than they otherwise would have. But since all the non-Romneys proved to be sub-par candidates, I think they were legitimately surprised when they actually started gaining some traction.

With Romney you've got a guy who is incredibly wealthy, has a massive family to keep him busy, could probably get a job anywhere in the country if he wanted one, and has no legacy that needs repairing. Yet he seems to have a knack and a passion for turning things around, and feels he would be a competent fit for the presidency and the needs of America right now. But unlike the others, he in no way "needs" this run for office.
I have to say I really disagree with you almost completely.

As far as Newt goes, I don't think he's concerned at all with any kind of a redemption. He is a blowhard who likes the public eye and this was a way for him to make it back and broadcast his obnoxious, grandiose ideas while pretending to be some kind of intellectual statesman of the Republican Party. It's all about the ego, maybe a cabinet position and almost certainly a new book.

Santorum may be looking for redemption, but I think it's more likely that he saw a gap in the field that he thought he could fill. Never thought he'd make it this far or be a serious contender, so I agree with you about his positioning at the moment.

I really believe that Romney is running because it's the one thing he doesn't have. He's been running for president for almost a decade now, essentially as his full-time job. That fits in very well with the Republican establishment's model of promoting a candidate because it's "his time" (see Bob Dole, John McCain).
Old 02-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #972
Blue Crack Addict

Mitt Romney is 100% politically ambitious, always has been. I agree that he has always been running for President-that was the big motivation behind getting health care passed in MA. At the time it was considered a good thing and a feather in his cap, he had no idea that it would be so vilified now.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #973
Blue Crack Supplier

the individual mandate was a Republican idea right up until Obama turned it into law.

funny, that.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #974
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post

Santorum may be looking for redemption, but I think it's more likely that he saw a gap in the field that he thought he could fill. Never thought he'd make it this far or be a serious contender, so I agree with you about his positioning at the moment..
I always thought this was a run by Santorum to position himself for 2016. I'm not sure if he is more surprised or I am about his recent momentum.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #975
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
If he meant male emotions, I still find it offensive. I think in light of his overall attitude and statements going back for years, he has a certain mindset that's rather obvious.

Like I have said here already even before his recent comments, the thought of him being POTUS scares me.
He's kind of buds with a local talk show host here so I get to hear him a lot more than I want to. There's a lot about Santorum that offends me and creeps me out. He's not a guy who's going to implode, however. He'll stay consistent in his positions which may play well. I don't think anywhere near well enough to win, but enough to stay viable for a while at least for the anyone but Mitt group.

Tags
gop, republican