GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 3 - Page 64 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2012, 12:44 PM   #946
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
"I do have concerns about women in frontline combat. I think that can be a very compromising situation, where people naturally may do things that may not be in the interests of the mission because of other types of emotions that are involved. And I think that’s probably – you know, it already happens, of course, with the camaraderie of men in combat. But I think it would be even more unique if women were in combat. I think that’s probably not in the best interests of men, women or the mission."

no one running would do more to limit your personal freedoms than Rick Santorum. he knows what's best for you.

and to think, people believe that universal health care or an individual mandate is somehow a limit on freedom. it's not. what *is* a limit on freedom is Rick Santorum telling you how to have sex, when to have sex, where to have sex, and what you may and may not do on the basis of your gender. such truths are self-evident, to him, because they are his beliefs, and impervious to evidence.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #947
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
“Sadly the propaganda campaign launched in the 1960s has taken root,” said Santorum. “The radical feminists succeeded in undermining the traditional family and convincing women that professional accomplishments are the key to happiness.”

do tell us, Rick. what is the key to happiness for women?

i'm sure you know.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #948
Blue Crack Addict

He's such a good daddy. Like the daddy I never had
Old 02-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #949
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511

do tell us, Rick. what is the key to happiness for women?

i'm sure you know.
Sweater vests!
Old 02-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #950
Blue Crack Addict

I like how his sweater vest has his name on it, cause I get all emotional and I think he's Ron Paul.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #951
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Somebody should tell Santorum that just because he's taken Gingrich's spot as the non-Mitt frontrunner, he doesn't have to take Gingrich's charm with women as well.

Quote:
“Sadly the propaganda campaign launched in the 1960s has taken root,” said Santorum. “The radical feminists succeeded in undermining the traditional family and convincing women that professional accomplishments are the key to happiness.”
Psst... hey Rick. You do realize that women make up a larger percentage of the population than men, right? You do want them to vote for you, don't you?
Old 02-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #952
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:19 PM
Quote:
I like how his sweater vest has his name on it, cause I get all emotional and I think he's Ron Paul.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #953
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
There are few things in this world that disturb and creep me the hell out more than a man trying to act as though he knows about women's "cycles"/"emotions" and the effects of them on any activities we do.

Santorum? We women have learned how to balance our "types of emotions" with any situation we've been put into. We've been doing so for centuries. So how about you kindly shut up and focus on topics you actually know something about (which may be a difficult task, I know).

Quote:
Many women, he adds, have told him that it is more “socially affirming to work outside the home than to give up their careers to take care of their children.”

...“Sadly the propaganda campaign launched in the 1960s has taken root,” said Santorum. “The radical feminists succeeded in undermining the traditional family and convincing women that professional accomplishments are the key to happiness.”
So...he doesn't want women to be part of the capitalist society and American dream?

I'd like to point out how the warped economic policies he and other politicians favor are often why so many families have both parents working instead of one staying at home to raise the kids, but I get the feeling that would fly over his head.

(By the way, when I was a kid, my mom worked during the day, and my dad didn't work until night. So my dad was actually staying at home with me during the day and taking care of me! Clearly I have been horribly screwed up by this experience)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
no one running would do more to limit your personal freedoms than Rick Santorum. he knows what's best for you.

and to think, people believe that universal health care or an individual mandate is somehow a limit on freedom. it's not. what *is* a limit on freedom is Rick Santorum telling you how to have sex, when to have sex, where to have sex, and what you may and may not do on the basis of your gender. such truths are self-evident, to him, because they are his beliefs, and impervious to evidence.
Small government interference at work .
Old 02-11-2012, 09:30 AM   #954
Blue Crack Addict

Haha There you go again Mitt

Video: KTH: Mitt Romney: Severe conservative? – Anderson Cooper 360 - CNN.com Blogs
Old 02-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #955
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:19 PM
I'm no fan of Santorum. I never voted for him as Senator and will never vote for him as President, but I'm thinking the emotions he might have been referring to were men's emotions--ie, thinking they might be more protective of a woman in a battle situation than they were another man and that the focus would be more on protecting the woman than on the mission. That might be an initial response but I figure the men would get over it soon enough.

Then again, Rick Santorum is a doucebag. I've never understood why anyone would decide what would make EVERY woman happy as if we are interchangeable and as if we might not harbor some of the same ambitions other human beings (ie, men) might have. But perhaps, we are not in the full human being category to them. I'm kind of thinking the people who decide what's best for women lean that way. Women serve; men get to soar.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #956
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:19 PM
Yeah, I was reading yesterday that's what his point was.

So now the men can get insulted instead of the women. Men can't focus when women are around, you guys! They feel the need to protect them all the time!
Old 02-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #957
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:19 PM
Old 02-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #958
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:19 PM
Quote:
As a complete outsider (i.e. non-American not even living there) the impression I have of Mitt Romney is that he wants to be president because of being president. It's the highest office reachable for him and so he wants it.
Whereas with the others I have the impression they at least have a slight idea what they want for the USA for the next four years.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #959
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popmartijn View Post
As a complete outsider (i.e. non-American not even living there) the impression I have of Mitt Romney is that he wants to be president because of being president. It's the highest office reachable for him and so he wants it.
Whereas with the others I have the impression they at least have a slight idea what they want for the USA for the next four years.
Actually, I kind of see it the opposite.

With Gingrich and Santorum, you have two guys who have legacies that badly need to be repaired- Gingrich from being thrown out of the Speakership and Santorum from losing re-election in 2006 by 20 points. I truly think that was their sole reason for running in 2012- to try to run an honorable, positive campaign (with no realistic expectation of going anywhere), and then ending their careers on a better note than they otherwise would have. But since all the non-Romneys proved to be sub-par candidates, I think they were legitimately surprised when they actually started gaining some traction.

With Romney you've got a guy who is incredibly wealthy, has a massive family to keep him busy, could probably get a job anywhere in the country if he wanted one, and has no legacy that needs repairing. Yet he seems to have a knack and a passion for turning things around, and feels he would be a competent fit for the presidency and the needs of America right now. But unlike the others, he in no way "needs" this run for office.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #960
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:19 PM
Obama's manufactured contraception controversy definitely drew out some doozy comments from the Republican field.

Obama riled up Republicans on contraception, and then delivers a knock-out punch.
Quote:
That's the nitty-gritty. The fun part of this is that Obama just pulled a fast one on Republicans. He drew this out for two weeks, letting Republicans work themselves into a frenzy of anti-contraception rhetoric, all thinly disguised as concern for religious liberty, and then created a compromise that addressed their purported concerns but without actually reducing women's access to contraception, which is what this has always been about. (As Dana Goldstein reported in 2010, before the religious liberty gambit was brought up, the Catholic bishops were just demanding that women be denied access and told to abstain from sex instead.) With the fig leaf of religious liberty removed, Republicans are in a bad situation. They can either drop this and slink away knowing they've been punked, or they can double down. But in order to do so, they'll have to be more blatantly anti-contraception, a politically toxic move in a country where 99% of women have used contraception.

My guess is that they'll take their knocks and go home, but a lot of the damage has already been done. Romney was provoked repeatedly to go on the record saying negative things about contraception. Sure, it was in the frame of concern about religious liberty, but as this incident fades into memory, what most people will remember is that Republicans picked a fight with Obama over contraception coverage and lost. This also gave Obama a chance to highlight this benefit and take full credit for it. Obama needs young female voters to turn out at the polls in November, and hijacking two weeks of the news cycle to send the message that he's going to get you your birth control for free is a big win for him in that department. I expect to see some ads in the fall showing Romney saying hostile things about contraception and health care reform, with the message that free birth control is going away if he's elected. It's all so perfect that I'm inclined to think this was Obama's plan all along.

Tags
gop, republican