GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 3 - Page 52 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #766
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post

Mitt just can’t stop sounding like a heartless rich guy. “I’m not concerned about the very poor. We have a safety net there,” Romney said on CNN Wednesday Morning. “If it needs repair, I’ll fix it. I’m not concerned about the very rich, they’re doing just fine. I’m concerned about the very heart of America, the 90 percent, 95 percent of Americans who right now are struggling.” Host Soledad O’Brien pointed out the obvious—that if it’s bad for the middle class, it’s probably even worse for the very poor. But Romney’s clarification didn’t help him much. “We will hear from the Democrat party the plight of the poor,” he added. “My focus is on middle-income Americans.”

Nice.
Wow. What a stupid thing to say. Not only is it insulting, but it's supporting the very "big" government the GOP is against. Still, the callousness of a multi-millionaire saying that is breathtaking.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #767
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:41 AM
I think what's really great about that statement is not only does he say that he isn't concerned about a certain segment of the population but he then tells them that the opposition party IS concerned about them. Hello, this is like bad Politics 101.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #768
Blue Crack Supplier

2008 turnout: 1.9m
2012 turnout: 1.6m
Old 02-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #769
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:41 AM
Also, in the age of the Super PAC, you shouldn't give anything that could be taken out of context. Because it will be.

I can see it now, Gingrich's next anti-Romney ad:
"I'm not concerned about the very poor(cut to fearmongering)"

And frankly pro-Obama groups could use it in the same way.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #770
War Child

Local Time: 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
2008 turnout: 1.9m
2012 turnout: 1.6m
Wow. Disappointing turnout.

And I heard that unemployment is now even worse in Florida.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #771
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post
Wow. What a stupid thing to say. Not only is it insulting, but it's supporting the very "big" government the GOP is against. Still, the callousness of a multi-millionaire saying that is breathtaking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I think what's really great about that statement is not only does he say that he isn't concerned about a certain segment of the population but he then tells them that the opposition party IS concerned about them. Hello, this is like bad Politics 101.
Im curious, Did he say anything that is not true?

The wealthy are surviving as expected.

The truly poor do have a safety net that he is not proposing to change.

The real challenge is getting the middle class back on their feet.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #772
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Some of you are really going to give him a pass because he said "they have a safety net"?

Have you not been paying attention? The GOP is demonizing that safety net!
Old 02-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #773
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrison View Post
Do you think that's how you'd hear his comments if you were poor enough to be receiving government assistance? Isn't it a bit remarkable for a presidential candidate to acknowledge that a particular subset of the electorate is hurting, but then bluntly say "I’m not concerned about" them?

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 02-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #774
Blue Crack Addict

It's not ever whether what Mitt says is true or not-and that's a matter for debate. It's the perceived cluelessness, insensitivity, arrogance. Open mouth, insert foot. There's plenty more to come.

Yes they are demonizing that very safety net. Food stamps, for starters.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #775
Blue Crack Addict

So I guess women in FL are different enough in that way from women in SC? I don't know, confusing. You'd think women in SC might be even more traditional and conservative about marriage and fidelity. Maybe they were just more afraid of liberal Mitt from crazy MA. Of course there are so many transplants and snowbirds in FL, even more than there are in SC.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Women abandoned Newt Gingrich in droves Tuesday and helped fuel former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney's triumph in Florida's Republican presidential primary, according to data from an exit poll of voters.

Romney also drew strength from Florida's legion of older voters, Hispanics and two staples among GOP voters in presidential contests so far — those looking for someone to defeat President Barack Obama and people focused on the still flagging economy.

While Romney bested the former House speaker narrowly among men, he strongly outdistanced him among women, winning 52 percent to 28 percent. In the three states in which Republicans had already voted for their presidential nominee — Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina — there was relatively little difference in how the sexes divided their votes between the two rivals.

Romney's Florida triumph came after a campaign in which he and his supporters outspent Gingrich on television commercials by nearly 5-1, with many of the ads attacking the former speaker's character. None mentioned Gingrich's three marriages or the charges by his second wife, Marianne, that he asked permission for an open marriage before they were divorced, an allegation Gingrich has denied.

Romney prevailed over Gingrich among women across every category of education and income, underscoring the sweep with which they preferred Romney.

Some of the data from Tuesday's exit poll suggested that many women's votes were influenced more by a personal distaste for Gingrich than by liking Romney. Asked their views of Gingrich as a person, men said they generally viewed him favorably by 62 percent to 34 percent, but women were about evenly divided. In contrast, women expressed stronger positive feelings about Romney as a person than men did, but the difference between them was minor.

Among all voters on Tuesday, 55 percent expressed favorable views of Gingrich personally, compared to 77 percent who said the same about Romney.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #776
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
It's not ever whether what Mitt says is true or not-and that's a matter for debate. It's the perceived cluelessness, insensitivity, arrogance. Open mouth, insert foot. There's plenty more to come.

Exactly.

Romney, Gingrich, people of that ilk, they can all fuck off. I'm sick to death of them demonizing/dismissing the struggling people. They don't have the first clue what the hell it's like, and it's because of comments like that that people "hate the rich and successful", as they so moronically put it.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:43 PM   #777
Blue Crack Supplier

the hardest working people i know are those waiting for buses at 6:30am because they can't afford cars.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #778
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrison View Post

The wealthy are surviving as expected.

The truly poor do have a safety net that he is not proposing to change.

The real challenge is getting the middle class back on their feet.
actually, something is going to change or could change.

“I’m not concerned about the very poor. We have a safety net there,” Romney said on CNN Wednesday Morning. “If it needs repair, I’ll fix it.
I’m not concerned about the very rich."

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Do you think that's how you'd hear his comments if you were poor enough to be receiving government assistance? Isn't it a bit remarkable for a presidential candidate to acknowledge that a particular subset of the electorate is hurting, but then bluntly say "I’m not concerned about" them?
he is not concerned about the very rich, the other GOP candidates would all like to see them paying less or no taxes

again in the same breath, he did say “If it needs repair, I’ll fix it." and he was talking about the safety net for the very poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post

at least you say they, and not he, I don't see him demonizing quite like
Gingrich is dog whistling.
yes his remarks could have been better said,
I recall Obama say he wanted to redistribute income? and then backing away from that.

And Romney has been talking about having dividends and interest for people under $200,000 being tax free, a concept that might get middle income people saving instead of buying boats and other things.

If this country got middle America back into saving we would be much better off.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #779
Blue Crack Addict

I don't know any middle income people who are buying boats. They're struggling to buy gas and groceries and to pay bills.

Middle income people are saving more than they ever have, and have less credit card debt.

Unless you were being facetious there. I also don't consider any six figure income to be middle income.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #780
Blue Crack Addict

I was just going to say - these days middle income people do not have the sort of extra cash lying around to buy dividend-bearing stocks, at least not in amounts where the tax savings would be an incentive.

Somebody making $180K/year may be middle class in Manhattan, but they sure aren't so in 99% of the country.

Tags
gop, republican