GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 3 - Page 51 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2012, 10:02 PM   #751
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:23 AM
You should talk to the Tea Party people in TN about the "founding fathers" and how we're supposed to stop talking about how they owned slaves.

I'm sorry this stuff makes the GOP look so bad.

Most conservatives are not racists; most racists are conservative.

Again: Newt knows exactly what he is doing.

And it thankfully doesn't seem to be working too well.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:03 PM   #752
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 07:23 AM
In regards to that Newt quote, how about the fact that he's patronizing poor people by presuming we just "don't know how" to get work? It couldn't possibly be that we're trying really, really hard, and yet can't get hired for whatever reason regardless of how many qualifications we may or may not have.

No. We're just either too lazy, or too stupid, to figure out how to get a job. And here comes good ol' Newt to "teach" us .

Old 01-31-2012, 10:26 PM   #753
Blue Crack Supplier

Don't worry INDY, you're one of the good ones.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:27 PM   #754
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:23 AM
Mitt looked lean chiseled and handsome tonight. Newt forgot to call and congratlate him...u do the math.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:30 PM   #755
Blue Crack Supplier

Newt's gonna go nuclear.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:09 PM   #756
ONE
love, blood, life

But Mitt now has secret service protection..not. ..fatso tho..
Old 01-31-2012, 11:35 PM   #757
Blue Crack Supplier

Mittens spent $21 per vote.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:59 PM   #758
ONE
love, blood, life

he has large bank too.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:00 AM   #759
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:23 AM
Old 02-01-2012, 12:20 AM   #760
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Don't worry INDY, you're one of the good ones.

I mean, he is... really.

It's just that phrase. I heard that a lot growing up as a black kid with mostly white friends in the South.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:36 AM   #761
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Again: Newt knows exactly what he is doing.
My family was on food stamps for some time when I was a kid. I know if some presidential candidate at that time had called the current president "the best food stamp president in American history," that would've told me right away that person wasn't in my corner. Presidents don't "put" people on food stamps; you apply for them because you need them, not because the government made you do it. Not having the money to afford enough to eat can be humiliating; the fact that government assistance exists to get you through it isn't. It amazes me anyone would think this is a good way to make a pitch to poor people that your economic plan will provide a living wage for more people than the incumbent's. I'm guessing most people defending Gingrich on this have never been on food stamps, and aren't involved with anyone who is. People on food stamps aren't sitting around fuming about how their SNAP card is a disingenuous and insulting I.O.U. from the government for taking their job away.
Quote:
"This is the best food stamp president in history. So more Americans now get food stamps therefore and we now give it away as cash. You don’t get food stamps. You get a credit card and the credit card can be used for anything. We’ve had people take their food stamp money and use it to go to Hawaii. And you know, they give food stamps now to millionaires. Because after all, don’t you want to be compassionate? You know the Obama model, isn’t there somebody you’d like to give money to this week?"

--Gingrich at a campaign stop in Iowa, Nov. 30 2011 (source: PolitiFact, which rated it "Pants on Fire")
Yeah. I can just hear the heartfelt priority placed on the difficulties of the poor coming through there...oh, wait! He was only talking about food stamp fraud! So really, he was just expressing solidarity with all the people truly in need who Obama's f*ing over by giving all his millionaire friends SNAP cards!

That's all setting aside the case for racial undertones in Gingrich's fondness for this phrasing. Most historians would agree that one reason why debates over the welfare state are especially polarized in the US is because of our troubled racial history, which among other things predisposes many Americans, in particular many older Southern white people, to reflexively picture a black person first when the notion of 'the undeserving poor' is explictly or implicitly invoked. Obviously, this doesn't mean all proposed welfare reforms are racist, or that a given proposed reform mightn't genuinely be in poor African-Americans' longterm best interests. It also doesn't mean that just because certain white voters heard a nudge-nudge-wink-wink towards some of their cruder populist impulses in some turn of phrase, that all other white voters who found the comment sensible liked it for the same reason. To my ear, yes, "best food stamp president in history," as repeatedly leveled at our first black president who is very popular with black voters, sounds like it's intentionally including those "certain white voters" in its support target sights. I grew up in Gingrich's corner of the country, I know that a certain segment of the white population there (and elsewhere, but in smaller numbers) are uncommonly delighted by slogans like that, I know why they are and I think he's plenty savvy enough to know too.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 02-01-2012, 03:00 AM   #762
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 07:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
My family was on food stamps for some time when I was a kid. I know if some presidential candidate at that time had called the current president "the best food stamp president in American history," that would've told me right away that person wasn't in my corner. Presidents don't "put" people on food stamps; you apply for them because you need them, not because the government made you do it. Not having the money to afford enough to eat can be humiliating; the fact that government assistance exists to get you through it isn't. It amazes me anyone would think this is a good way to make a pitch to poor people that your economic plan will provide a living wage for more people than the incumbent's. I'm guessing most people defending Gingrich on this have never been on food stamps, and aren't involved with anyone who is.
Fuck, yes, THIS. 110% this. Highlighted the best part, but this whole thing is spot on. I really wish to god somebody would say that out loud on a national stage.

The rest of your post was wonderful, too .

On an unrelated note, just random thoughts: so basically our GOP choices are coming down to people named Newt and Mitt. And people were making fun of Barack's name????
Old 02-01-2012, 03:47 AM   #763
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:23 AM
Diamond's Mitt sensuality is really keeping this thread entertaining through the doldrums.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #764
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Mitt just can’t stop sounding like a heartless rich guy. “I’m not concerned about the very poor. We have a safety net there,” Romney said on CNN Wednesday Morning. “If it needs repair, I’ll fix it. I’m not concerned about the very rich, they’re doing just fine. I’m concerned about the very heart of America, the 90 percent, 95 percent of Americans who right now are struggling.” Host Soledad O’Brien pointed out the obvious—that if it’s bad for the middle class, it’s probably even worse for the very poor. But Romney’s clarification didn’t help him much. “We will hear from the Democrat party the plight of the poor,” he added. “My focus is on middle-income Americans.”
Nice.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #765
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:23 PM
Quote:
Mitt just can’t stop sounding like a heartless rich guy. “I’m not concerned about the very poor. We have a safety net there,” Romney said on CNN Wednesday Morning. “If it needs repair, I’ll fix it. I’m not concerned about the very rich, they’re doing just fine. I’m concerned about the very heart of America, the 90 percent, 95 percent of Americans who right now are struggling.” Host Soledad O’Brien pointed out the obvious—that if it’s bad for the middle class, it’s probably even worse for the very poor. But Romney’s clarification didn’t help him much. “We will hear from the Democrat party the plight of the poor,” he added. “My focus is on middle-income Americans.”
This is about as inept a comment as I've ever heard. What I hear him trying to say is that he's more concerned with the shrinking middle class -- the vast majority of Americans who are fighting a losing battle with inflation, the cost of living, rising costs of health care, etc -- than he is with people at the fringes. To a certain extent, I understand the point that (I think) he's trying to make, which is that every President has to set priorities, and there are far more members of the middle class than there are the very rich or very poor, and if government can't help everybody, then it should help the widest number of people possible. The problem is that, if he's not going to focus on the very poor, someone has to, and if his administration is not going to empower the social agencies whose job it is to take care of the poorest amongst us, then we're screwed. Especially if lower-middle-class citizens start sliding into extreme poverty. Because that safety net is only going to get bigger.

But at this point, I readily admit that I'm projecting.

Tags
gop, republican