GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 3 - Page 36 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #526
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:31 AM
Daniels to deliver GOP response to State of Union | The Indianapolis Star | indystar.com

Quote:
Daniels to deliver GOP response to State of Union

WASHINGTON – Gov. Mitch Daniels will give the GOP response to President Barack Obama’s State of the Union address Tuesday, Republican leaders announced today.

Daniels, in the final year of his second term, considered running for the GOP presidential nomination to challenge Obama but decided against it because his family was opposed.

Still, coulda, shoulda.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #527
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:31 AM
Of course, Gingrich will win tomorrow. The polls are always behind in terms of a surge. Gingrich is surging and there's only one day to make him backtrack. The allegations of his ex-wife clearly haven't done much to impede his rise in the polls lately, so I'm sure he'll handily win.

Overall, it's just bad for Republicans. They have no chance in hell of winning with anyone but Romney and all this will probably lead to is the Obama camp having more ammo to use against Romney and Romney's approval ratings being much lower before he ever even gets to the main fight.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:56 PM   #528
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Props to a dude who actually gives a shit about his family, unlike so many in this political climate who just pretend to.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #529
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Still, coulda, shoulda.

when i heard this on NPR (shock!) this morning, i knew you'd post something.

still, you're all going to be crushed by Hillary/Cuomo in '16.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #530
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
when i heard this on NPR (shock!) this morning, i knew you'd post something.

still, you're all going to be crushed by Hillary/Cuomo in '16.
If there's any crushing to be done in 2016 I think we all know the politician best equipped for that.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #531
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:31 AM
I don't know if this has been posted

its not very good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=5VJryxUzi58
Old 01-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #532
War Child

Local Time: 09:31 AM
^

Stephen Colbert: "What's the difference between Mitt Romney and a statue of Mitt Romney?...The statue won't change positions."

Old 01-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #533
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:31 PM
Quote:
If there's any crushing to be done in 2016 I think we all know the politician best equipped for that.

You forgot to point out that there will be no need for Mr Christie to run in 2016 unless President Romney accomplishes all of his goals within his first term and decides to relinquish the post and seek other challenges.

I personally think it will take President Romney two terms to solve the problems created and damage done by Bushobama.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #534
Blue Crack Addict

^

Are you entirely missing the fact that half the voters will vote for Obama and that most of the other half have at various points hoped for President Thrice-Married, President Pizza Philanderer, President Man-on-Dog, President Dumber-than-Bush and that nothing Mitt has done or said during the last decade while he's campaigned for president has made anyone like him?

Don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting that die-hard Republicans will vote for Obama instead. But to get people to get off their asses and go vote on a cold night in November, you have to inspire them to do so. All Mitt does is inspire them to look past him and stay at home and watch Jersey Shore.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #535
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
To remind us how much Mitt is in touch with the hard scrabble recession of everyday America mainstreet Joe the Plumber, he currently has at least $ 20 million and at most $ 100 million in an individual retirement account.

Romney's Unorthodox IRA - WSJ.com

The Gilded Age is back, bitches.
I really object to this line of reasonsing - not because Romney's personal wealth and personal taxation shouldn't be on the public record and up for debate - it should, and is - but because it seems to suggest that purely because a person earns or has saved a bit more than the average (ok, a lot more, in Romney's case) they are not a good candidate for president.

Romney hasn't cost the taxpayer anything, hasn't run a bank into the ground and then demanded the taxpayer bail it out, has in fact helped to create numerous jobs in companies that would otherwise have folded. There is no suggestion that any of his fortune has been illegitimately earned. It has been said that his personal tax rate averages to 15%, as though this was something scandalous and disgraceful. I assume his investment income is substantial, so 15% of it is still a lot of money. Has anyone calculated how many hospitals that his personal tax bill pays for, how many peoples' unemployment benefits it funds?

Using Romney's wealth, which helps to keep America up and running, is about the weakest argument anyone can use against him. It doesn't even make logical sense.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #536
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
^

Are you entirely missing the fact that half the voters will vote for Obama and that most of the other half have at various points hoped for President Thrice-Married, President Pizza Philanderer, President Man-on-Dog, President Dumber-than-Bush and that nothing Mitt has done or said during the last decade while he's campaigned for president has made anyone like him?

Don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting that die-hard Republicans will vote for Obama instead. But to get people to get off their asses and go vote on a cold night in November, you have to inspire them to do so. All Mitt does is inspire them to look past him and stay at home and watch Jersey Shore.
I haven't missed any of that, post was meant somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

You're right about half the voters going for Obama almost by default. He's already near as damnit bought the election. The higher the unemployment rate, the more it suits him.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:38 PM   #537
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Wow someone has injected the kool aid
Old 01-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #538
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
The higher the unemployment rate, the more it suits him.
Say what?

How would a higher unemployment rate "suit" Obama? That's the worst thing for him politically.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #539
Blue Crack Addict

I think FG is postulating that the "welfare queens" will vote for Obama.

Which completely ignores the fact that the poorer you are, the less likely you are to vote at all. The votes are with retired people and soccer moms, not the unemployed.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #540
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
Say what?

How would a higher unemployment rate "suit" Obama? That's the worst thing for him politically.
Well, I disagree. Game has changed, I reckon. I know it sounds mad, but, paradoxically, continuing shitty news on the economic front could be good for the incumbent, and not the challenger.

We've had the bankers bailout, we've had the Detroit/GM bailout, we've had the failure to rescind tax breaks for the super-rich.

At the same time, we have the black ghettos, the Mexican influx, the illegal Irish immigrants who only decided they had a moral issue with being illegal (and therefore, probably, getting paid tax free) when the economy turned down.

Obama might appear to be almost useless, but what he's being doing is quite cynically clever. Create more paper money out of thin air, devalue the dollar, etc, in order to balance the government books, temporarily. When inflation kicks in, just borrow more money and deflect the blame onto the rich guys. Hence, Obama emerges as man of the people, by contrast to ex-management consultant, stiff upper lip Romney, who is too polite and civilised to go for the jugular.

Make no mistake, Obama, being a keen student of Tammany Hall machine Chicago politics, will get the vote out.

Tags
gop, republican