GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 3 - Page 32 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #466
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post

how do we feel, though, about the nominee of the party being taxed at only 15%, when the bulk of the electorate -- say people making between $60k-90k -- are taxed at a higher rate?
But that wouldn't change much even if the rate was raised to 20% which- correct me if I'm wrong- is what Obama has proposed.

Quote:
how is that going to play?
I agree it's an optics problem for him, but I don't think its a big one.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #467
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
I agree it's an optics problem for him, but I don't think its a big one.

right. this is the issue.

Romney is pretty much the archetype of the person at fault for the recession. born to privilege, well connected, corporate raider who profited off pink slips and now rests on a massive fortune that's taxed at a low rate. Romney likes policies that are good for Romney.

outside of people making $250K+ a year who's taxes might really go up during a second Obama term, how is he supposed to appeal to anyone else? isn't he exactly what's wrong with America as it's presently structured? isn't he, perhaps, the greatest 1%er of all the 1%ers? or the greatest 0.001% of the top 0.001%?

as you said, optics. it's an issue. and this seems much more legit than the "i like to fire people" comment, which i agree was distorted by the rest of the candidates. can Gingrich make this an issue?

Old 01-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #468
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:55 AM
Quote:
so how do we all feel about the fact that you likely paid much more of a percentage of your income last year than Mitt Romney did?

he paid about 15%.
about the same as i did when i heard u2 moved their tax base out of Ireland.

IOW, i care, but I'm willing to overlook it if the end justifies the means. Meaning that in Romney's case I'm willing to overlook it because he's probably 100x better than the other GOP candidates. Maybe 1000x better. And i'm pretty sure that there were several members of the Obama administration who had issues with even filing their taxes, Geithner comes to mind, so its not like its just a GOP thing with the rich trying to hoard their money. Hell, the Irish do it too, apparently.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #469
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:55 AM
anyone that is surprised is kind of stupid

the 15% tax capital gains has been kicked around in the press for sometime now
also, everyone knows that Romney is no longer working (earning wages) at Bain,

I pay taxes at the 15% rate on portions of my income that fall under that category, millions of Americans do.

I do understand when people are surprised that some corporations pay zero, by working a convoluted system.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #470
Blue Crack Addict

^ Agreed.

The point here should not be what he is making but whether that is the correct tax rate on capital gains (I believe that it is not).
Old 01-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #471
Blue Crack Supplier

and Romney, the man himself, becomes the embodiment of the argument for a 2nd Obama term.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #472
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
NEWT EX-WIFE UNLOADS ON CAMERA; NETWORK DEBATES 'ETHICS' OF AIRING BEFORE SC PRIMARY

**Exclusive**
Wed Jan 18 2012 18:47:14 ET

Marianne Gingrich has said she could end her ex-husband's career with a single interview.

Earlier this week, she sat before ABCNEWS cameras, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

She spoke to ABCNEWS reporter Brian Ross for two hours, and her explosive revelations are set to rock the trail.

But now a "civil war" has erupted inside of the network, an insider claims, on exactly when the confession will air!

MORE

ABCNEWS suits determined it would be "unethical" to run the Marianne Gingrich interview so close to the South Carolina Primary, a curious decision, one insider argued, since the network has aggressively been reporting on other candidates.

A decision was tentatively made to air the interview next Monday, after all votes have been counted.

Gingrich canceled a press conference on Wednesday to deal with the matter.

"He believes that what he says in public and how he lives don't have to be connected," Marianne Gingrich, Newt's wife of 18 years, explained to ESQUIRE last year.

Developing...

DRUDGE EXCLUSIVE: NEWT EX-WIFE UNLOADS ON CAMERA; NETWORK DEBATES 'ETHICS'

sure, it's drudge. but, hey, why not?
Old 01-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #473
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
and Romney, the man himself, becomes the embodiment of the argument for a 2nd Obama term.
Yet Obama's overall job performance is the embodiment of the argument against a 2nd Obama term.

These guys almost cancel each other out
Old 01-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #474
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrison View Post
Yet Obama's overall job performance is the embodiment of the argument against a 2nd Obama term.

These guys almost cancel each other out

there's no time or space to get into a big defense of Obama's first term. i will maintain that the country is fundamentally better than we were in January of 2009. Obama has made mistakes, he's disappointed. he's also delivered. in my opinion.

i offer you this:

Andrew Sullivan: How Obama's Long Game Will Outsmart His Critics - The Daily Beast
Old 01-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #475
Blue Crack Addict

It's the fact that Romney is clueless and insensitive enough to say that it's not much money, that kind of money. In 2012, with the US and world economy the way it is. Obviously that's not much money to him, but that's not the point. Arrogant, dumb, out of touch thing to say.

ABC news did some story tonight about his money being in some place, I think it was the Cayman Islands. I didn't watch it, didn't feel like knowing that. Maybe that's one reason he doesn't want to release his tax returns.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #476
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
sure, it's drudge. but, hey, why not?
Supposedly it's airing tomorrow night, reports Drudge now.

I'd like to see Newt get a little of his own "the public should know everything about a candidate" medicine that he's been tossing against Romney, no matter how personal or negative.

I'm also thinking the SC results will be a lot closer than the current polls reflect. Hopefully whatever this interview is about blunts some of Newt's surge.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:21 PM   #477
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
there's no time or space to get into a big defense of Obama's first term. i will maintain that the country is fundamentally better than we were in January of 2009. Obama has made mistakes, he's disappointed. he's also delivered. in my opinion.
If so, he has a hill to climb in terms of making that argument and having it resonate, at least judging by a new poll.

Obama Has Achieved Little, Most Americans Say in New Poll

President Barack Obama has hardly achieved anything during his first three years in office, most Americans believe.

Just 12 percent – less than 1 person in 8 – say he has accomplished a great deal, despite Democrats’ boasts that he got through his signature healthcare plan and was in power when Osama bin Laden was killed, according to a new poll published on Wednesday.

A total of 52 percent believe the president has done either “not much” or “little or nothing,” the poll, commissioned by the Washington Post and ABC News, found. The Post said the results showed that Obama “faces a dispirited and polarized electorate that is sharply divided over his record, worried about the pace of the economic recovery and deeply pessimistic about the country’s trajectory.”
Old 01-18-2012, 09:32 PM   #478
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
The Democrats and Obama have done a crap job of properly explaining any of their success to the country at large. Plus, most Americans expect things to be fixed quickly. They don't realize that some of Obama's changes are going to take a while to reveal themselves. We're a very impatient people.

Also, I'm with you in hoping whatever results in South Carolina knocks Gingrich's ego down a peg or 20. Guy could use it.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #479
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
President Barack Obama has hardly achieved anything during his first three years in office, most Americans believe
Then you have nothing to worry about - should be a walk in the park for Romney, a total blowout.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #480
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

CNN is reporting that Perry is dropping out today and endorsing Gingrich.

Tags
gop, republican