GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 3 - Page 30 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #436
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Saying that gay parents are better than straight parents is another form of bigotry.

this isn't the thread for this, but the study clearly shows that children of gay parents grow up with distinct advantages.

is that bigoted?

Old 01-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #437
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 12:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrison View Post
well consider the source...South Carolina.

A beautiful part of the country, but also red as blood, wine, and coca cola cans.
True...

(South Carolina does look gorgeous, though. I've seen things on TV about some of the more historical cities in that state-I'd like to visit them someday)

Quote:
Anytime you have a debate in a place like this, the moderates are going to pander (Romney), the nuts are going to just be themselves (Santorum, Perry, Gingrich) and the crowd will favor the nuts. And then there's Paul, who seems to be on a level all of his own. Half of the time i like what he's saying, the other half of the time im

I give Paul credit for not pandering to anyone and just being who he is. He knows he's not going to win anything, its almost as if he feels his duty is to stand up there and say what he believes just so a large audience will hear it, hoping someday they will agree with him. Im sure he wont live to see that day, unfortunately, but history will probably be kind to him for holding true to his convictions.
Agreed on Ron Paul.

I just still don't understand why people flock to the nutjobs. You can be conservative all you want, but isn't there a point when you listen to a Perry or Santorum or Gingrich and think, "Wow, this guy's a moron." Why not just go for a moderate who actually still values facts or intelligent conversation, why are the nutcases so appealing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Seriously? I am so glad I was watching the Betty White birthday show.
I saw that, too. It was nice . Certainly less headache-inducing, too.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #438
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Hyperbolic but perhaps prophetic.

Turkey is quickly moving from the Western to Middle Eastern orb of geopolitics. From an ally to Israel in trade, diplomacy, and defense to an unfriendly country. From a secular government to a neo-Ottomanism, Islamic rule. From European liberalism to Sharia law.
you need a better metric

than "friend of Israel". Israel is not always a good friend.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #439
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Saying that gay parents are better than straight parents is another form of bigotry.
Only if you think females and males, fathers and mothers, are totally interchangeable. Neither possessing unique, distinctive or singularly valuable traits. Neither necessarily missed if absent from the equation.

If you believe that than yes, preference for the traditional family unit is bigoted.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #440
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Only if you think females and males, fathers and mothers, are totally interchangeable. Neither possessing unique, distinctive or valuable traits. Neither necessarily missed if absent from the equation.

If you believe that than yes, preference for the traditional family unit is bigoted.

here you go, again:

Quote:
The bottom line, Stacey said, is that people who say children need both a father and a mother in the home are misrepresenting the research, most of which compares children of single parents to children of married couples. Two good parents are better than one good parent, Stacey said, but one good parent is better than two bad parents. And gender seems to make no difference. While you do find broad differences between how men and women parent on average, she said, there is much more diversity within the genders than between them.

"Two heterosexual parents of the same educational background, class, race and religion are more like each other in the way they parent than one is like all other women and one is like all other men," she said.

as ever, it is the quality of the individuals who have chosen to be parents together, not their opposing gender, that is the most important quality in creating happy, stable children.

you know, "content of their character" and all that.

but this is the GOP thread we're talking about. just wanted to point out that Santorum is peddling a line of frothy horseshit.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #441
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
here you go, again:

it is the quality of the individuals who have chosen to be parents together, not their opposing gender, that is the most important quality in creating happy, stable children.

you know, "content of their character" and all that.

but this is the GOP thread we're talking about. just wanted to point out that Santorum is peddling a line of frothy horseshit.
Yes, since it's the GOP thread...

call me anti-intellectual but if it's all the same to you I'm going to respectfully go with common sense, sageness and intuition over "studies show."
Old 01-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #442
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
I mean no disrespect, but I just wish to bring up this regarding the debate over which gender/sexual orientation is fit to be raising kids: WHO. CARES?

Seriously, as long as they're getting love and care and being fed and clothed and sheltered and all that good stuff, WHY does anything else matter? Why are people still so freaked out about this issue?
Old 01-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #443
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:26 AM
The GOP is so worried about the welfare queens and broken inner-city homes (holmes?) comprised of single-parent minority families gaming the system, you figure they would be really happy to see some two-parent households, even if it's Mark and Steve or Rhonda and Penelope.

Kind of a catch-22 between conservative morality and opinions on minorities.

What's the way out, oh faith-based ones?

Quote:
call me anti-intellectual but if it's all the same to you I'm going to respectfully go with common sense, sageness and intuition over "studies show."
Does the common sense come down on the side of the earth being 5,000 years old and Jesus riding dinosaurs?
Old 01-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #444
Blue Crack Addict

Well, it's sort of like the whole deal about how they want people who can't take care of their kids to put them up for adoption...but then don't want a certain portion of the population adopting those kids because, oh, my god, it's two men or two women raising them! The horror!

Very confusing.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #445
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500

Yes, since it's the GOP thread...

"my gut is better than any of that research stuff!"
Old 01-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #446
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
you need a better metric

than "friend of Israel". Israel is not always a good friend.
You mean like when Israeli secret service agents pose as CIA operatives to recruit terrorists against Iran?

Happy to see our great friend Israel helping us to bring terrorism to the middle east.

----

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
"my gut is better than any of that research stuff!"
Kind of explains one political side of this subforum, huh?
Old 01-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #447
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

common sense, sageness, and intuition tell me that two people who really, really want to be parents and are willing to jump through any and all hoops necessary to do so, while at the same time likely being highly educated and having the means to pursue expensive things like adoption and/or AI, are going to be very, very, very good parents.

but i'm sure the straight kids on Teen Mom will prove me wrong.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #448
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
The GOP is so worried about the welfare queens and broken inner-city homes (holmes?) comprised of single-parent minority families gaming the system, you figure they would be really happy to see some two-parent households, even if it's Mark and Steve or Rhonda and Penelope.

Kind of a catch-22 between conservative morality and opinions on minorities.

What's the way out, oh faith-based ones?

well said
Old 01-17-2012, 07:56 PM   #449
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
True...

(South Carolina does look gorgeous, though. I've seen things on TV about some of the more historical cities in that state-I'd like to visit them someday)
Actually North Carolina is my favorite of the two, with the Blue Ridge Mountains on one end of the state and the Outer Banks on the coast line. Its someplace i could retire.

Quote:
Agreed on Ron Paul.

I just still don't understand why people flock to the nutjobs. You can be conservative all you want, but isn't there a point when you listen to a Perry or Santorum or Gingrich and think, "Wow, this guy's a moron." Why not just go for a moderate who actually still values facts or intelligent conversation, why are the nutcases so appealing?

To answer your question, i guess, its because half of the base (if not more) are nutcases themselves. Therefore the wingnut candidates are their only earthly option.

I wouldn't necessarily call Santorum or Gingrich morons, crazy or perhaps evil would probably be better descriptions. Perry is a different story though. Maybe he's different off camera or back home in Texas. I suspect he's a very charming and charismatic guy, but the intellect doesn't translate well onto television.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #450
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Actually North Carolina is my favorite of the two, with the Blue Ridge Mountains on one end of the state and the Outer Banks on the coast line. Its someplace i could retire.
Oh, really?

I have an aunt and uncle who live out there. May have to pay their state a visit someday.

Quote:
To answer your question, i guess, its because half of the base (if not more) are nutcases themselves. Therefore the wingnut candidates are their only earthly option.
Guess so. It's just still so hard for me to reconcile the fact that people go for those sorts of candidates, even if on some level I know why they do. It just makes me sad.

Quote:
I wouldn't necessarily call Santorum or Gingrich morons, crazy or perhaps evil would probably be better descriptions. Perry is a different story though. Maybe he's different off camera or back home in Texas. I suspect he's a very charming and charismatic guy, but the intellect doesn't translate well onto television.
Heh, ah, well, I use the word "moron" because, honestly, that's about the most polite word I can think of to use towards those people. There's many more unflattering descriptions, but I'm too nice to say half of them .

Perry's a strange bird. He just reminds me so much of Bush, Jr. in so many ways, with his whole Texas persona and such, but...yeah. I remember seeing clips of his speech at New Hampshire a couple months or so ago and thinking, "...mmmmmmkay...".

He definitely does have a charm and charisma about him. Unfortunately, he uses it for things that aren't good, and it comes off kinda creepy.

Tags
gop, republican