GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as it hurts to admit many on the Left here were correct:
Sarah Palin is short sighted in her blind support of Newt, I've lost a lot of respect for her. She is too strident and unreasonable for public office after all, I stand corrected.

With Newt's behavior toward women and Sarah's unbridled passion for him, it really makes me question her judgement.

Also, Fred Thompson's support of Newt baffled me. That he came out for Newt only after So Carolina, when it felt it was "safe" to do so, spoke volumes.
He's a good ol' southern boy red neck after all-nice.

I was pleased to see people like Huckabee and others change their support for Romney this time around, in essence they evolved, while others have devolved.

<>

^ I agree. And it's not just Palin, it's the bulk of the Tea Party that seems to be behind Newt.

I don't get it. If they don't like Mitt, that's halfway understandable. But at least be consistent with what you say you believe and get behind Santorum or Perry or Paul. I'd have no problem with that. But Newt? Newt is the last candidate the Tea Party should ever support.

Are you guys only now beginning to realize that the Tea Party wasn't/isn't some well-organized, principled movement? That a number of them are ignorant of the issues or the platforms, that a number of them are actually racists (watch you come to their defence again on this) whose dislike of President Obama is deeply rooted in who he is rather than what he stands for and that a number of them have low education levels and have been used and co-opted by people like Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin who feed them paranoid lies and untruths because they very well know that these people don't know any better?

Really?

Umm..yes..there are a few racists.

Although statistically speaking Ron Paul supporters are the most racist..esp anti semites.

Its a closeted view but spend 15 mins w a Ron Paul supporter and 75 per cent are anti semites..the rest are druggies..orgy minded folk 30 somethings.

As far as the tea party the majority of them are fiscally minded conservatives...but 40 per cent or more arr also short sighted emotionally crippled bible thumpers..and miss the big picture..sadly.

I disagree.

I think there are essentially two Tea Parties. The first- the one that I support and am proud to affiliate myself with- is a movement that is centered on government reform: term limits, less spending, tax reform, waiting periods to read bills, etc. Those ideas are what drove me to rallies a couple years ago, and I think this was the Tea Party that was the driving force in the 2009/2010 successes.

Then there's the Tea Party whose primary goal is to support the most conservative candidate in every election. For the most part, they're willing to overlook personal hypocrisy, lack of electability and time spent as a career politician in exchange for someone who makes them feel good, someone who endlessly references Reagan and someone who will call Obama a Kenyan Muslim. That's a Tea Party that I won't be a part of. And unfortunately, this is the Tea Party that seems to be winning at the moment.

I disagree.

I think there are essentially two Tea Parties. The first- the one that I support and am proud to affiliate myself with- is a movement that is centered on government reform: term limits, less spending, tax reform, waiting periods to read bills, etc. Those ideas are what drove me to rallies a couple years ago, and I think this was the Tea Party that was the driving force in the 2009/2010 successes.

And don't forget repeal of Obamacare.

Then there's the Tea Party whose primary goal is to support the most conservative candidate in every election. For the most part, they're willing to overlook personal hypocrisy, lack of electability and time spent as a career politician in exchange for someone who makes them feel good, someone who endlessly references Reagan and someone who will call Obama a Kenyan Muslim. That's a Tea Party that I won't be a part of. And unfortunately, this is the Tea Party that seems to be winning at the moment.

Unfortunately it's much easier to elect Washington outsiders (who haven't contributed to the problem and understand the grave state of our Union) to Congress than the White House. That's why the nomination was Perry's until...

The Tea Party will have all sorts of candidates come 2016 (or 2020). This year, one last time, we'll have to suck it up and support the Dole/McCain/Romney safe/his turn, establishment candidate.

With Newt's behavior toward women and Sarah's unbridled passion for him, it really makes me question her judgement.

The idea that any woman would support Newt for any reason of any kind is indeed a very strange one. Sarah's support is no surprise to me, though.

I actually do agree with 2861U2 about the "two Tea Parties". I think in some respects that is quite true. I will happily listen to and/or support discussion of and solutions to the things listed there for the first Tea Party mentioned. I have no argument with those ideas and definitely think it's possible for people of all political stripes to get together and come to some sort of agreement on working on and fixing those things.

But the second one, unfortunately, did wind up monopolizing the conversation and they're the "wackjobs" for the right that get featured on TV. Which isn't fair to those who have genuine, legitimate concerns worth hearing, but such is our media nowadays, sadly.

:silent: :lol:

Jon Stewart On Newt’s Moon Base: He Wants To Leave The Earth ‘For A Younger Planet’ | Mediaite

"Stewart then played a clip of Gingrich jokingly suggesting he’d make it a state, which flummoxed Stewart, but soon he had it all figured out.

“I see what’s going on here, this isn’t about making new states. Newt Gingrich did that global warming ad with Nancy Pelosi realizing that the Earth is very sick–and now he wants to leave it for a younger planet!”

I LOVED that quote so much :D. That whole segment was just great.

This year, one last time, we'll have to suck it up and support the Dole/McCain/Romney safe/his turn, establishment candidate.

What, you think that the moneyed establishment is suddenly going to change its priorities in 4 years? Right-o.

Are you guys only now beginning to realize that the Tea Party wasn't/isn't some well-organized, principled movement? That a number of them are ignorant of the issues or the platforms, that a number of them are actually racists (watch you come to their defence again on this) whose dislike of President Obama is deeply rooted in who he is rather than what he stands for and that a number of them have low education levels and have been used and co-opted by people like Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin who feed them paranoid lies and untruths because they very well know that these people don't know any better?

Really?

Tea Party was a fundamentally noble attempt to wrest control of the direction of the country from the Washington/Manhattan complex back to where it belongs, under the constitution of the US - the people - while people like you intentionally or otherwise, deflect attention from the Wall Street complex of Obama's financiers.

Umm..yes..there are a few racists.

Although statistically speaking Ron Paul supporters are the most racist..esp anti semites.

Its a closeted view but spend 15 mins w a Ron Paul supporter and 75 per cent are anti semites..the rest are druggies..orgy minded folk 30 somethings.

That's rubbish, damnable lies. You have no evidence whatever for this and I'm calling you out on it.

Provide evidence for your outrageous and downright slanderous claim that 75% of Ron Paul supporters are anti semites, or admit that your claim is nothing but a slur fostered by people who wish to drag America into another unwinnable war.

Term limits and campaign spending reform are two issues that really need to be redone if we're ever going to get anywhere.

I don't like the idea of term limits.

It was not originally in the U.S. Constitution for term limits for the President.

Republicans added that ammendment in the early 1940s
because FDR kept being elected.

while people like you intentionally or otherwise, deflect attention from the Wall Street complex of Obama's financiers.

Excuse me, but this is one thing I have continuously criticized Obama for. I have stated on this forum, more than once, that he should have fired Geithner. I also did not approve of his appointments in this area. And I have cited this as the major reason why my support for him has waned.

Excuse me, but this is one thing I have continuously criticized Obama for. I have stated on this forum, more than once, that he should have fired Geithner. I also did not approve of his appointments in this area. And I have cited this as the major reason why my support for him has waned.

Ok. Well, apologies, I guess I missed that. Seemingly Geithner is moving on, anyway.

So..Herman Cain just came out and endorse Newt. Herman why did u stoop this low..was it because he could control his ladies better than you ?

It was not originally in the U.S. Constitution for term limits for the President.

That's what amendments are for. Things don't have to be in the Constitution originally. We can amend it. So, what's your point?

..the same could be said of Rick S, but let's not go there.

Herman did not endorse the 3 other men who've had honorable marriages, but chose one w scandals similar or nearer to his own.

So, you do the math, ie birds of a feather.

<>

Forget the President...that's basically irrelevant. No one President can ever carry enough power to pull the country into the sewer like the Congress.

But to oppose congressional term limits in this day and age...is to reveal, at the most fundamental level...that you don't understand what is wrong with the United States govt..

Because that is the first thing that needs to be done.

People (in the Republican base) don't like Mitt because they know he's only telling them what they want to hear.

And that he, if given the opportunity, would be much more moderate than their ideal. But it doesn't matter. Romney wouldn't ever get a chance to be a moderate. He might as well be as Right Wing as the consensus average congressional Republican. Because he'd want to be re-elected in 2016 and he, as any President would, would do their bidding.

So yeah, the thing they hate Romney for, is basically irrelevant.
He's a good guy, a smarmy guy but a good guy...caught having to appeal to idiots.
And if these idiots understood politics, they'd know this.

Why can't we fix our problems? Because we get the Government we deserve.
A Government not accountable to a voting public too ignorant to hold them to it.
And yeah, that's all sides, and the middle. People don't understand the real problem.

Rick Perry is the only candidate that has mentioned anything resembling a real reform that would help all of us (part-time congress)...but it didn't get very far. Because he couldn't articulate it (surprise, surprise).

If Mitt Romney makes term-limits a high priority, I'd consider supporting him.
Same with Obama.
If you don't understand why this is priority #1, then you don't understand the problem.
De$ire for re-election$ (read: special interest/lobby money). That is what it is all about.
Take that away...well, subdue it, and watch the partisan gridlock ease overnight.

Then, it will be on to real election reform (campaign financing).

I recommend the book Republic, Lost for much more on this matter. I've been saying it for decades. It is categorically NOT a partisan or Left/Right issue.

Newt unsurprisingly said today that he's in this fight until the very end although we all expected that since he thinks of this as a self-promotion tour. Paul will be in it because of his fanbase and Romney is obvious since he'll be the nominee. That leaves Santorum as the only person that could drop out before the final primary that leads to Mitt having a delegate majority. I think he'll give up after Super Tuesday.

U2DMfan said:
Forget the President...that's basically irrelevant. No one President can ever carry enough power to pull the country into the sewer like the Congress.

But to oppose congressional term limits in this day and age...is to reveal, at the most fundamental level...that you don't understand what is wrong with the United States govt..

:up:

the iron horse said:

Are you against all amendments?

I agree, although I would argue that it isn't going far enough and that term limits in and of themselves would not be particularly productive unless you coupled them with serious and stringent anti-lobbying rules.

Congressmen, Senators, cabinet members, senior staff, etc (you can debate how far down you need to go), should not be permitted to walk out of their jobs and immediately into a lobbying/consulting firm where their behinds will collect millions while they work against the public good on the Hill with their old buddies. You want to serve in Congress? Great, but then you'll be legally precluded from being a lobbyist for 20 years afterwards.

Tea Party was a fundamentally noble attempt to wrest control of the direction of the country from the Washington/Manhattan complex back to where it belongs, under the constitution of the US - the people - while people like you intentionally or otherwise, deflect attention from the Wall Street complex of Obama's financiers.

I'm not sure what's happened to you of late, but this couldn't be further from the truth.

You have the Tea Party wrong and you have anitram all wrong.

So I must admit that I haven't been paying much attention lately...

...so does Newt actually have a chance to win the nomination?

r80lE.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom