GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 3 - Page 22 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #316
War Child

Local Time: 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS

If you were a father at what point do you just stop feeding your kids? When is debt more important than the people?
You don't stop feeding your kids, but you stop going out to eat, you stop buying large amounts of gifts, you stop buying expensive clothes, etc. You cut out the luxuries, in order to keep the necessities.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #317
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb8844 View Post
I was only using myself as an example because I consider myself a republican.

At what point, if ever, is debt the top concern, at almost all costs? Because personally for me, I think we're swiftly approaching that point.
We obsess over incremental changes in jobs numbers, over consumer confidence numbers, over the middle class' spending habits. The economic prosperity of this country rides on the backs of the middle class. If they aren't buying your Chinese widgets imported by Wal-Mart, it really doesn't matter how well the higher tax brackets are doing.

This is not the time to be obsessing over austerity measures to take the legs out from under the slow, steady economic recovery we are in the middle of. But due to the fact that it is an election year, there is no incentive for the Republicans to do anything to help the economy recover.

Basically the number one issue I have with the GOP is that their overall gameplan is to keep the middle class occupied by convincing it that it is at war with the impoverished lower class, and illegal immigrants. At the same time they continue to push for tax breaks for the upper tax classes who (smartly) take that money and squirrel it away in investments when the stock market has taken a beating.

You can't create jobs when there is no demand. If the middle class isn't doing well and isn't spending, there is no need for more goods and more jobs to be created to produce those goods.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #318
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb8844

You don't stop feeding your kids, but you stop going out to eat, you stop buying large amounts of gifts, you stop buying expensive clothes, etc. You cut out the luxuries, in order to keep the necessities.
So what luxuries are we spending too much on?
Old 01-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #319
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS

So what luxuries are we spending too much on?
There's excess in nearly all government programs. Every program can afford and be benefited by streamlining. Defense is one great example.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #320
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

There's excess in nearly all government programs. Every program can afford and be benefited by streamlining. Defense is one great example.
I agree. The problem is partisanship is getting in the way of streamlining.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #321
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:21 AM
The lasting legacies of the Bush years were cutting the riches' taxes and greatly increasing defense spending. So, I think the first two things to recovery are greatly decreasing defense spending and reinstating those taxes on the top bracket.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #322
War Child

The real solution would be to streamline the tax code, and remove the loopholes. Personally I'd favor going even further than that and implementing a flat tax, but I realize that's probably impossible at the moment.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #323
War Child

Oh, foreign aid. That's another thing I'd immediately streamline and cut.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #324
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
The real solution would be to streamline the tax code, and remove the loopholes. Personally I'd favor going even further than that and implementing a flat tax, but I realize that's probably impossible at the moment.
Flat taxes don't work, never will.

Be careful about removing loopholes, the tea party is very much against that therefore most of the GOP. Reagan was against them, a part of history conservatives often forget when revisioning him.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #325
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb8844 View Post
I'd be completely okay with raising taxes, maybe even significantly for a period of time, IF it was accompanied by little to no NEW spending. Not even asking the government to cut anything immediately (eventually cuts are necessary, but I understand that cuts can't always be immediate), just asking them not to add to the current spending with new programs.

what programs would you cut?

foreign aid comprises a very, very small portion of the budget.

most (i believe, like, 3/4ths) of our spending is on the following: Social Security; Medicare; Medicaid; Defense.

which goes first?
Old 01-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #326
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS

Flat taxes don't work, never will.

Be careful about removing loopholes, the tea party is very much against that therefore most of the GOP. Reagan was against them, a part of history conservatives often forget when revisioning him.
Why don't you think flat taxes would work?

No one should be able to get around paying taxes. No one should be able to bribe the government to put new loopholes in that allow their multimillion dollar businesses to not pay taxes. Removing all loopholes gets rid of both of these problems.

Personally, in my perfect world, we'd have a 16-20 percent flat tax on EVERYONE, with no loopholes. But I realize that's probably not attainable.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #327
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511

what programs would you cut?

foreign aid comprises a very, very small portion of the budget.

most (i believe, like, 3/4ths) of our spending is on the following: Social Security; Medicare; Medicaid; Defense.

which goes first?
I wouldn't force immediate program cuts. As I said, I'd only end all NEW spending immediately. All old programs could remain as they were at first.

Eventually cuts would be necessary, though.

Defense is bloated as hell, that could use quite a bit of cuts and streamlining.

Social security is a sinking ship that needs to be streamlined and restructured.

The other two could probably be streamlined as well, but it's probably necessary to keep them mostly the same.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #328
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Why don't you think flat taxes would work?
They will exasperate the differences of income equality.

Think about it in simple terms of buying power, one person has a 100 and the other a thousand dollars, taking out 20 from the hundred is felt much more than taking the 200 from a thousand.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #329
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
do you think raising taxes on the wealthiest Americans is a good way to start to tackle the debt?
Yes. If I had ANY faith that increasing taxes would go directly to paying down the debt, rather than more spending, I'd be for it. But I'm not stupid enough to think that would actually happen, at least not from the people running the show in both parties over the last decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
When is debt more important than the people?
But you can also make that argument with Iraq, can't you?- Yes, it cost a couple trillion, but Saddam has been replaced with elections and oppression replaced by freedom. You can't say "debt is fine as long as it's going to things that I deem appropriate." That's how we got in this mess.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #330
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2

But you can also make that argument with Iraq, can't you?- Yes, it cost a couple trillion, but Saddam has been replaced with elections and oppression replaced by freedom. You can't say "debt is fine as long as it's going to things that I deem appropriate." That's how we got in this mess.
What kind of threat did Iraq have on my well being again?

Tags
gop, republican