GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, Rick Santorum is doing well. He even has the Duggar family supporting him.

I can't imagine how that's a positive.

And wow, you know of younger people who support him? That's frightening. I'm glad that I don't know anyone who thinks he's anything but horrible.

I can't imagine how that's a positive.

And wow, you know of younger people who support him? That's frightening. I'm glad that I don't know anyone who thinks he's anything but horrible.

I don't know of anyone supporting him - thankfully - but CNN was interviewing voters and some were about my age. It was sad to see that.

Ugh, Rick Santorum is doing well. He even has the Duggar family supporting him.

Oooh, more reason to find them bothersome!

What's bothering me is that so many young people are supporting him, some my age. What happened to my generation and younger being all progressive and not extremely conservative?

I don't know. I agree, it always strikes me extremely odd to see that, too. It's bad enough when there's people in older age groups thinking like Santorum, to imagine teenagers or people in their 20s thinking like him is just beyond creepy and unsettling.

I don't know anyone personally of any age that supports Santorum, thank god. As I said earlier, it's all Ron Paul if anyone up here.

No kidding. I've been hearing the campaign ads and am sighing already. It's gonna be a loooooooooooong year.

I've been hearing a ton of Rick Perry commercials the last couple months on the radio in the area for some reason. Apparently they don't seem to have done much good for him.

We also carry a "NO-bama" 2012 calendar where I work, with a tagline about how January of next year is "real change we can believe in". Gag. Nobody's brought it yet, though.

I don't know of anyone supporting him - thankfully - but CNN was interviewing voters and some were about my age. It was sad to see that.

There was the one woman who looked to be in her late 20s who said "I am voting for him because he stands for family values and I have a family."

Ugh again. CNN is reporting Santorum is ahead with most of the votes in.

I can't believe I live in the same country as his supporters.

There was the one woman who looked to be in her late 20s who said "I am voting for him because he stands for family values and I have a family."

I saw that. What are people like that afraid of?

I know what it is. They have irrational fears of gay people. They see them as pedophiles (harsh, but true) and they have this fear that they'll kidnap their children.

Really, America? Really?

Better. They've said if the pace holds, they're expected to have 120,000 turnout, possibly even a little higher, which would be a GOP record.

Why do these people show up in hordes against Mitt?

I mean, yes, he talks out of both sides of his mouth, he changes directions like a fart in the wind and is as principled as a used car salesman, but at least he comes across as sane. I guess that's not a requirement for the GOP.

Ugh, I hate that soundbite cliche. What the frell does that even mean? Like you can't instill your own values in your family no matter who is president? "I have to vote for him, because the other guy hates families and if he becomes president, my family will burst into flames!!!"

That's what I heard from both John King on CNN and Chuck Todd on MSNBC, and their fancy magic Smartboards :shrug:

10:11 P.M. Turnout at or Behind 2008 Pace

With 842 out of 1,774 precincts reporting so far, 54,223 Iowans have cast ballots in the Republican caucuses. A linear projection would estimate the total number of votes at 114,429, slightly behind the 119,118 who voted in 2008.

So far, reporters who observed that there did not seem to be huge waves of enthusiasm at the events held around Iowa look to be vindicated.

- Nate Silver

Live Blogging the Iowa Caucuses - NYTimes.com

:shrug:

it's still early, i guess.

That's perhaps one of THE lamest, most idiotic, nonsensical reasons I've ever heard of for voting for someone. The hell?

I'm still waiting for some skeleton in Santorum's closet to pop out. You know there's got to be one hidden away somewhere.

Very close race- latest tally is 13 votes separating Santorum and Romney, with over 50,000 votes between the two.

I'm still waiting for some skeleton in Santorum's closet to pop out. You know there's got to be one hidden away somewhere.

i bet there are no personal demons. he comes across as genuinely committed to his faith and his faith's lifestyle in a way that, say, Perry doesn't. (in fact, Perry comes across like a great big closet case to me).

but once people realize that he'd outlaw birth control, gay sex, and bomb Iran, that will do the trick.

Mittens really is the only sane one, aside form Huntsman.

I mean, it is sort of courageous and inspiring that Santorum could go on to win Iowa tonight despite being hampered by his Google problem, no?

Lest we never forget

I mean, it is sort of courageous and inspiring that Santorum could go on to win Iowa tonight despite being hampered by his Google problem, no?

Lest we never forget

"The Daily Show" just had a great bit that referenced that :D.

i bet there are no personal demons. he comes across as genuinely committed to his faith and his faith's lifestyle in a way that, say, Perry doesn't. (in fact, Perry comes across like a great big closet case to me).

Guess I've just grown completely cynical about all "family values" types. If he doesn't have anything, great, but it won't surprise me in the least if it turns out he does.

Perry's Bush, Jr. 2.0 to me. And I really didn't need the "upgrade".

but once people realize that he'd outlaw birth control, gay sex, and bomb Iran, that will do the trick.

I'd love to believe that, but after hearing that dumb reasoning from that 20 something year old woman anitram mentioned... Logic and sanity and rational thought rarely ever factors in to many people's voting choices.

Mittens really is the only sane one, aside form Huntsman.

How ironic that someone who comes off like a pre-packaged politician looks like the best option.

It really sucks Huntsman doesn't get anywhere near the sort of airtime the others do. Heaven forbid something intelligent disrupt the three-ring circus.

CNN is telling me that Paul is going to finish 3rd, and Newt is going to finish 4th. Santorum and Mitt basically "tied" for 1st right now.

I'm flipping back and forth between this and the Sugar Bowl. One of them is far more exciting than the other.

Santorum and Mitt have swapped places on the AP tally about every twenty minutes for the last few hours. Currently, there's less than 130 votes separating them with 93% of the precincts reporting.

For those not following the results, sounds like Perry might be through after a 5th place finish tonight. He just said that he's heading back to Texas to assess the results and decide if there is a path forward. Sounds like the end of the line for him.

538 Blog is saying that Mitt will win by a margin of less than 100 votes. He's leading Santorum by over 60 votes with 98% of the precincts reporting. As we all know, if Romney wins Iowa, it will likely lead to people dropping out sooner and him winning a lot of states in the near future simply so that he can go into the general election easier.

From the analysis that I've heard, much of the outstanding vote is in areas that should be friendly to Romney. He may squeak this out. :up:

Also, news is that McCain will be endorsing Romney in NH tomorrow.

Santorum now leads Romney by 3 votes with 99% of the precincts in.

Obama is widely being reported to win the Iowa Caucus for Democrats....but it looks like Lyndon LaRouche can't be ruled out at this point. :hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom