GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 3 - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #136
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:43 AM
If there were to be a Ron Paul type of leader that would emerge in the future, but without Paul's crazy baggage, I believe he/ she would solitify the "youth" and win with an overwhelming landslide.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #137
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:43 AM
I think it's less about his "policy" than the (accurate enough) perception that he can always be relied on to say what he thinks, and doesn't care who he pisses off. As opposed to strategic attempts to piss people off (red meat) or blandly placating bureaucratese.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 01-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #138
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

And it's obvious that a lot of those bullet points - anti war, end drug war etc - would have massive youth appeal.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #139
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
If there were to be a Ron Paul type of leader that would emerge in the future, but without Paul's crazy baggage, I believe he/ she would solitify the "youth" and win with an overwhelming landslide.
If they reduced the voting age he'd be a shoe-in with the 12-15 demographic with his "abolish the Department of Education" thing:

Old 01-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #140
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy

If they reduced the voting age he'd be a shoe-in with the 12-15 demographic with his "abolish the Department of Education" thing:
That's funny on so many levels...
Old 01-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #141
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Well, I don't really know what I would have expected. It probably confirms an impression I had, but being a bit of a Paul fan I feared I might have over-estimated his support among "the youth", plus on here there are plenty of Americans, most of them youngish, and yet support for Paulite policy gains no traction.
Obviously liberals are going to be pro-Obama or apathetic entirely (I'm somewhere in between), but yes, most people my age who lean conservative have been very pro-Paul so far in this season. He's the only one I'd ever expect to see in a random Twitter or Facebook post from my conservative friends.

I do go to a college that is atypically conservative, so the election cycle will be fascinating when we return to school in August.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:26 PM   #142
War Child

Local Time: 06:43 AM
This year I've come across many young voters between 18-30, and they kept gushing about Ron Paul. Surprisingly, most of them were either independents or non-committed liberals.

I have yet to understand Paul's appeal to young people. Yes, he has that anti-Washington machine aura. And he tells it like it is. But no one sees him as "electable".

Still, I find it odd how Obama had a majority of the young voters behind him in 2008, and now Paul seems to have captured that type of demographic.

And Obama was "electable" back then.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:38 PM   #143
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:43 AM
A good portion of Paul's youth support may be related to his wanting to end the drug war > legalize drugs.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:34 AM   #144
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Exactly. Pro-drug legalization policy will always get you votes, no matter which side you're on. And I have always liked his stance on our endless itch to go overseas and fight people for...some reason or other, which changes every five minutes and which depends on who we're friends with or not friends with at the time.

But the conspiracy theory stuff, as well as the rumors about those papers (if his ties to them are indeed true)...errrrr. Yeah. That's when I start to back away very slowly.

Irvine's analysis of the upcoming year election-wise, as well as the broad categorization of the supporters of respective GOP candidates, is spot on, I say (and hopeful and reassuring in spots, too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
All I know about him is that some on the right seem to revere him as some kind of intellectual powerhouse, a point of view I cannot understand.
Join the club. Every time I've heard him speak he's always come off like a pompous idiot to me. I get the feeling he and Donald Trump could be good buddies, which doesn't speak well for either person in my book.

I couldn't give any less of a care about politicians' looks. If I'm mystified as to why anyone would support them or marry them or whatever, it's because I think they've got despicable personalities/viewpoints. I fail to see why anyone would be attracted to someone with the kinds of views Michele Bachmann has, and I also fail to see why anyone would be attracted to someone with the kinds of views Santorum has.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:43 AM   #145
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK-79 View Post
This year I've come across many young voters between 18-30, and they kept gushing about Ron Paul. Surprisingly, most of them were either independents or non-committed liberals.

I have yet to understand Paul's appeal to young people. Yes, he has that anti-Washington machine aura. And he tells it like it is. But no one sees him as "electable".

Still, I find it odd how Obama had a majority of the young voters behind him in 2008, and now Paul seems to have captured that type of demographic.

And Obama was "electable" back then.
Paul had a ton of support from Internet communities in 2008 as well.

From what I gather, my young, college-age compatriots like him because:
  • He is anti-interventionism
  • Wants to end the useless war on drugs (money waster + pot heads jus' wanna get hiiiigh)
  • Is actually a likeable person running under the usually idiot candidate-magnet Republican banner, though Paul is a libertarian
Old 01-06-2012, 02:37 AM   #146
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:43 AM
BREAKING: Boston Globe backs Huntsman – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

wow, this is huge
wasn't Romney the governor of MA?
I think Huntsman will be on the upswing now, Santorum better watch out.

wait, nobody reads newspapers anymore, never-mind
Old 01-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #147
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:43 AM

Ron Paul:

Pro drug legalization
Pro prostitution legalization.

Anti war candidate at any cost-would have stayed out off WWII if he were President in 1940s.: his words.

He's not a Republican, but a Libertarian posing as a Republican, basically making him a fraud, having no real integrity by misrepresentation; a distraction in the GOP field.

20-30 hedonist sycophants may love him for their own hedonist reasons, in the end he doesn't represent most of GOP-he's a side show.

<>
Old 01-06-2012, 08:55 AM   #148
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
BREAKING: Boston Globe backs Huntsman – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

wow, this is huge
wasn't Romney the governor of MA?
Yes he was. But it's no surprise, the Globe was notoriously biased against Romney and did that whole investigation into his lawn service that employed illegal immigrants. So they couldn't exactly endorse him now.

The Globe is a liberal paper, symbolic of that MA that people like Gingrich and Santorum keep mentioning as if it's the modern day mecca of all that is sinful and evil and destructive of family and country. I think Newt called Romney a Massachusetts moderate about 10 times yesterday in NH. Santorum spoke at a college there yesterday and got booed for his views on gay marriage.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #149
Blue Crack Addict

Santorum is denying that he said make black people's lives better

"I looked at that, and I didn't say that," Santorum told O'Reilly. "If you look at it, what I started to say is a word and then sort of changed and it sort of -- blah -- came out. And people said I said 'black.' I didn't."

So, ok..it's only "blacks" who are on food stamps and living off of "other peoples" (whites?) money?

WASHINGTON — Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich said Thursday he is willing to go before the NAACP and urge blacks to demand paychecks, not food stamps.

Gingrich told a town hall meeting at a senior center in Plymouth, N.H., that if the NAACP invites him to its annual convention this year, he'd go there and talk about "why the African-American community should demand paychecks and not be satisfied with food stamps."

He also said he'd pitch a new Social Security program aimed at helping young people, particularly African-American males, who he said get the smallest return on Social Security.

Gingrich routinely lambasts President Barack Obama as the "best food stamp president in American history." He also has spoken previously about welcoming an invitation from the NAACP to speak and has been critical of GOP candidates who have not accepted such an invitation.

The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People had no immediate comment on Gingrich's remarks. His campaign spokesman, R.C. Hammond, said the former Georgia congressman has often said the GOP needs to be inclusive of all Americans.

"He has said since he became a presidential candidate that any Republican should always accept an invitation to speak to the NAACP on any topic," Hammond said.

Gingrich's comments follow those by rival candidate Rick Santorum, a former senator from Pennsylvania who said Sunday that he did not want to "make black people's lives better by giving them somebody else's money. I want to give them the opportunity to go out and earn the money."

Santorum's comments were criticized by National Urban League President Marc H. Morial as pandering to racist elements within the GOP. Morial also said that 70 percent of people on food stamps are white. The Agriculture Department does not break down food stamp participation rates by race.

NAACP President Ben Jealous also criticized Santorum's remarks.

Food stamp participation and costs have risen under Obama, from 28.2 million participants at a cost of $37.6 billion in 2008 to 44.7 million participants at a cost of $75.3 billion last year, according to federal data of what is officially known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. The increases followed the steep economic downturn that began in 2008.

Gingrich said if he has a chance to go before the NAACP, he would explain a "brand-new Social Security opportunity" for young people, "which would be particularly good for African-American males, because they are the group that gets the smallest return on Social Security."
Old 01-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #150
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
Pro drug legalization
Pro prostitution legalization.
The arguments for both of those - or some degree of both of those - are very, very strong (you're a realist, aren't you?) and at the very least, deserve a serious and honest debate. I'd like to see Ron Paul as the nominee (no worries - he'd get his arse kicked) just so that issues like these get the headline treatment they absolutely deserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
Anti war candidate at any cost-would have stayed out off WWII if he were President in 1940s.: his words.
Being a complete isolationist in the 21st century is ridiculous - you don't have a choice. But I would think you should certainly look at the nature (and expense) of US entanglements and engagements and style of influence around the globe. He's absolutely right about Iran and Israel, at least.

Tags
gop, republican