GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
400px-BobVanderPlaats.jpg

nice hair, nice teeth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87PX6qLq5c4

:lol: Newt's a narcissist? :lmao: Go Romney!

BTW Erin Burnett. :drool:
The x-factor question about Obama was "when some moderates / Republicans go into the voting booth, will they pull the lever for a black guy?"

The x-factor question about N00t is "when some moderates / Republicans go into the voting booth, will they pull the lever for a smart guy?"

Being able to distinguish that shades of grey exist in policy decisions is a huge erection-killer for some GOP fans, I'd imagine. How can one get riled up about shades of grey?

I'd never heard of this Vander Plaats guy mentioned in here, but there was an article on him on the Daily Caller this morning. Sounds like a real winner.

Bob Vander Plaats | Iowa Christian Conservative | Newt Gingrich | The Daily Caller

DES MOINES, Iowa — Influential Iowa conservative Bob Vander Plaats told The Daily Caller in an interview he thinks religious voters could still coalesce behind Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich despite his well-publicized history of marital infidelity.

“The centerpiece of our faith is forgiveness,” Vander Plaats, the leader of the Family Leader organization, said during a discussion at a diner here on Wednesday.

Gingrich, he said, has “admitted that he’s hurt people” and “wishes he could do things differently” and therefore Christian voters are open to him.

“They’re kind of thinking, maybe we should overlook some of this stuff with Newt because he might be the best to lead at this time,” Vander Plaats said. “That’s what I think you’re seeing with his rise.”

He added: “Now that doesn’t mean we’re over everything. There’s still baggage we need to address, you know personal and policy wise.”

Vander Plaats, whose endorsement would be welcomed by candidates because of his potential to mobilize Christian voters behind a campaign, also told TheDC that he wishes former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, whose Iowa campaign he chaired in 2008, was running for president this time.

If the Family Leader endorses anyone, Vander Plaats said the recipient would be either Gingrich, Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann, Texas Gov. Rick Perry or former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum.

Vander Plaats said Christian voters in Iowa are divided, though many are waiting to see if one rises to be the clear alternative to former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.

“I think it’s not that there’s a lack of good candidates,” he said of why he hasn’t endorsed anyone yet. “It’s just that you have several who are championing our values right now, so it’s hard to walk away from anyone of them.”

He also said it’s “very important” to Christian conservatives that Romney isn’t the nominee.

“He hasn’t admitted that Massachusetts health care is a bad idea. He still thinks it’s a good idea. He hasn’t admitted he has been on both sides of the pro-life, pro-marriage, health care, limited government issues. He’s been passionately on both sides. He hasn’t admitted that,” Vander Plaats said.

Still, he said if he “was caucusing tonight, my wife and I would have to have about an hour sit down and figure out who we’re caucusing for.”

“We still don’t know,” he said. “So if we’re that way, I got to believe the majority of the caucus-goers are that way. And that’s why an endorsement from us may matter more too, because people may go here’s some direction and I’ll blame it on Vander Plaats and the Family Leader if we’re wrong.”

:rolleyes: Seriously, if Romney isn't the nominee, I will not be a happy camper.

He's worthless. Again, he failed for his run at Gov in our state, so he's become some sort of religious leader.

One (of many) things that pisses me off, and maybe I'm reading too much into it, is when he says things like "championing OUR values" like his group owns certain values.

If that's true, then he also owns HATE, STUPIDITY, and RACISM since it was his pledge that included the bit about african americans being better off as slaves because of the family environment.

If it wasn't for out of state funding, this guy wouldn't have a voice and those judges wouldn't have been voted out. He used fear and hate to get his message across, and unfortunately there are a lot of religious, older, and rural folk here in Iowa that will believe the Gays are going to ruin their livestock.

As Irvine alluded to, it's only a matter of time till this guy's skeltons come out.

WASHINGTON -- Texas Gov. Rick Perry's newest television ad criticizing the repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell was created over the objections of at least one top staff member, sources in the Perry campaign tell The Huffington Post.

The spot, which began airing in Iowa on Wednesday, features the governor questioning why soldiers can serve openly in the military while children "can't openly celebrate Christmas or pray in school." Coming a day after Perry criticized the Obama administration for using foreign aid to defend gay rights abroad, the ad was one more note in a fairly overt dog whistle aimed at the Hawkeye State's influential evangelical voting block.

But not everyone was comfortable with the script. When the ad was being crafted several weeks ago, Perry's top pollster, Tony Fabrizio, called it "nuts," according to an email sent from Fabrizio to the ad's main creator, longtime GOP operative Nelson Warfield. In a separate email to The Huffington Post, Warfield confirmed that the ad was made over Fabrizio's objections.

"Tony was against it from the get-go," Warfield wrote. "It was the source of some extended conversation in the campaign. To be very clear: That spot was mine from writing the poll question to test[ing] it to drafting the script to overseeing production."

That a presidential campaign would suffer from internal disagreements over a controversial ad or broader campaign strategy is far from shocking. High-stakes political operations are often rife with strategic disputes. But it is rare for those disputes to spill over into public view and even rarer (at least when it comes to Republican politics) for them to center on the issue of gay rights.

It just so happens that several members of Perry's campaign staff have worked to advance LGBT causes inside the GOP. Liz Mair, a consultant to the Texas governor, serves on the advisory board of the group GOProud. And Fabrizio has done polling for the Log Cabin Republicans in addition to urging lawmakers to reconsider their approach to the culture wars and embrace basic fairness for gay Americans on the issue of marriage. He was considered an ally by pro-gay rights conservatives.

This isn't a unique feature of Perry's campaign. Republican candidates are increasingly relying on younger operatives who are far more sympathetic to gay rights. Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour did during his exploratory run for the presidential nomination earlier this year. But Barbour never aired a blatantly anti-gay ad campaign that demonized one of the LGBT community's signature legislative achievements.

"It is the height of hypocrisy for Tony Fabrizio to have been a part of that," said Jimmy LaSalvia, co-founder and executive director of GOProud. "He has lined his pockets for years with money from the gay community to conduct polls to ostensibly help gay people in this country, and for him to be a part of this is the height of Washington hypocrisy. It is absolutely what is wrong with Washington. It is all about the payday for these people."

If Fabrizio found the ad repugnant and it aired over his objections, LaSalvia argued, he should have quit in protest. "Perry said in the ad that the service of tens of thousands of patriotic gay Americans is what's wrong in this country," LaSalvia said. "That is an outrageous and un-American statement."

Reached by email, Fabrizio confirmed that he was uncomfortable with the ad. But he said he was going to follow the advice he has given to candidates throughout his career: "If you start answering personal attacks, you are just rewarding the attacker."

Other sources familiar with the Perry campaign have said that Warfield is the one driving the sharp cultural conservative tones that have come from the candidate in recent days. In addition to coming out against openly gay service in the armed forces, the campaign has tested voter reaction against taxpayer-funded abortion and defunding Planned Parenthood.

Reached by phone, Ray Sullivan, a spokesman for the Perry campaign, called the internal disagreements and the external criticism over the ad "irrelevant."

"This ad is about the governor's faith, the governor's belief and his campaign, not about any one else," Sullivan said. "And the ad talks about what Perry views as this administration pushing a liberal agenda in places like the military, while at the same time praying at football games, moments of silence at school and celebrating Christmas in the public arena is frequently verboten and certainly not defended by this administration. The bottom line is that the ad is about Governor Perry's faith and his belief."

Sullivan noted that Perry has not formally come out for reinstating Don't Ask, Don't Tell, should he become president. His decision to criticize the open service of gays in the military, in short, was made from a personal, not a policy, perspective.

"It seems Governor Perry wants to be theocrat in chief, not commander in chief," said R. Clarke Cooper, executive director of the Log Cabin Republicans.

Rick Perry defended his latest campaign ad -- which criticizes Obama for repealing the U.S. military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy -- in an interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer.

"I'm very comfortable with that ad," Perry said. "My faith is part of me. The values that I learned in my Christian upbringing will affect my governing."

In the ad, called "Strong," Perry says "you don't need to be in the pew every Sunday to know that there's something wrong in this country when gays can serve openly in the military but our kids can't openly celebrate Christmas or pray in school." Perry reiterated those sentiments Wednesday night, saying American values are being "trampled on" by the Obama administration.

Perry's criticism of Obama over gay rights hasn't been limited to the ad. The Republican presidential hopeful had harsh words for both Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on Tuesday after both made impassioned speeches urging gay rights abroad.

"President Obama has again mistaken America's tolerance for different lifestyles with an endorsement of those lifestyles," Perry said in a statement. "This administration's war on traditional American values must stop."

What kind of country do we live in that allows freedom for all walks of life to serve it's country but I get made fun of for being a bigot?

This is not what I meant when I claimed I was for freedom. This is not Exceptionalism! When will I get my country back?

The Atlantic Wire By Alexander Abad-Santos | The Atlantic Wire

Ouch, Newt Gingrich's gay sister, Candace Gingrich-Jones told Rachel Maddow yester-night that she wouldn't be voting for her brother should he snag the nomination--her snag being his anti-gay rights position. Not having your own relative give you an endorsement sounds a bit rough. But Gingrich-Jones, Newt's half-sister, is and has historically been a vocal advocate for gay rights and and is one of the directors of the Human Rights Campaign's youth outreach program. "He is definitely on the wrong side of history when it comes to those issues," Candace Gingrich-Jones told MSNBC's Rachel Maddow , adding that she and her half-brother are "mutually respectful" of each other--which is helpful considering he didn't attend her wedding and that come election time, she is planning to "work really, really hard to make sure that President Obama is re-elected next year no matter who the Republican candidate is."

And "mutual respect" must come into play when your brother recently told Iowans that marriage equality "is a temporary aberration that will dissipate. I think that it is just fundamentally goes against everything we know." Maddow noted that Jones-Gingrich hasn't been afraid to voice her dissent with her brother's conservative views, dating back to when he was Speaker of the House. "At the end of the day, we are a family and that's important," she said. "The catch is that when we leave the dinner table or leave the Christmas gathering, you know he and Callista still have way more rights than my wife and Rebecca and I do."

damn those fat lazy poor people

Speaking in Le Mars, Iowa on Monday, Rick Santorum promised to significantly reduce federal funding for food stamps, arguing that the nation’s increasing obesity rates render the program unnecessary:

Santorum told the group he would cut the food stamp program, describing it as one of the fastest growing programs in Washington, D.C.

Forty-eight million people are on food stamps in a country with 300-million people, said Santorum.

“If hunger is a problem in America, then why do we have an obesity problem among the people who we say have a hunger program?” Santorum asked.

If we have too many rich people in the US, then why are there so many poor people within the population?
Obviously the math is all wrong on this one.

Politico, Dec. 9
Former Speaker Newt Gingrich dismissed the Palestinian bid for statehood as the effort of an "invented Palestinian people, who are in fact Arabs, and were historically part of the Arab community." Gingrich also said the Palestinian Authority, which has typically represented the moderate wing of Palestinian leadership and formally accepts Israel's right to exist, is motivated by "an enormous desire to destroy Israel."

Gingrich's comments, in an interview with The Jewish Channel, edge him and his party further away from the two-state solution embraced over the last decade by presidents of both parties, and are the latest in a series of comments from Republican leaders that will set a sharply confrontational tone toward the Arab world if a Republican is elected next year.
"I believe that the Jewish people have the right to have a state, and I believe that the commitments that were made at a time," Gingrich said in an interview with Steven I. Weiss. "Remember there was no Palestine as a state. It was part of the Ottoman Empire. And I think that we've had an invented Palestinian people, who are in fact Arabs, and were historically part of the Arab community. And they had a chance to go many places. And for a variety of political reasons we have sustained this war against Israel now since the 1940's, and I think it’s tragic."
The Jewish Channel, Dec. 9
As to whom he agrees with, Gingrich said “I see myself as in many ways being pretty close to Bibi Netanyahu in thinking about the dangers of the world,” adding “Bibi’s a really tough guy, and he’s a guy who puts Israel’s security first; he also happens to be a free-market guy and someone who has made the entrepreneurial boom so successful.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom