GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On Ion? :lol: Maybe Trump should just buy his own network. Guess he and Gingrich talked about being on their third marriages.

(Reuters) - Mitt Romney spent nearly $100,000 in state funds to replace computers in his office at the end of his term as governor of Massachusetts in 2007 as part of an unprecedented effort to keep his records secret, Reuters has learned.

The move during the final weeks of Romney's administration was legal but unusual for a departing governor, Massachusetts officials say.

The effort to purge the records was made a few months before Romney launched an unsuccessful campaign for the Republican presidential nomination in 2008. He is again competing for the party's nomination, this time to challenge Barack Obama for the presidency in 2012.

Five weeks before the first contests in Iowa, Romney has seen his position as frontrunner among Republican presidential candidates whittled away in the polls as rival Newt Gingrich, the former speaker of the House of Representatives, has gained ground.

When Romney left the governorship of Massachusetts, 11 of his aides bought the hard drives of their state-issued computers to keep for themselves. Also before he left office, the governor's staff had emails and other electronic communications by Romney's administration wiped from state servers, state officials say.

Those actions erased much of the internal documentation of Romney's four-year tenure as governor, which ended in January 2007. Precisely what information was erased is unclear.

Republican and Democratic opponents of Romney say the scrubbing of emails - and a claim by Romney that paper records of his governorship are not subject to public disclosure - hinder efforts to assess his performance as a politician and elected official.

As Massachusetts governor, Romney worked with a Democrat-led state house to close a budget shortfall and signed a healthcare overhaul that required nearly all state residents to buy insurance or face penalties.

Massachusetts' healthcare law became a model for Obama's nationwide healthcare program, enacted into law in 2010. As a presidential candidate, however, Romney has criticized Obama's plan as an overreach by the federal government.

Massachusetts officials say they have no basis to believe that Romney's staff violated any state laws or policies in removing his administration's records.

They acknowledge, however, that state law on maintaining and disclosing official records is vague and has not been updated to deal with issues related to digital records and other modern technology.

BUYING UP HARD DRIVES

Romney's spokesmen emphasize that he followed the law and precedent in deleting the emails, installing new computers in the governor's office and buying up hard drives.

However, Theresa Dolan, former director of administration for the governor's office, told Reuters that Romney's efforts to control or wipe out records from his governorship were unprecedented.

Dolan said that in her 23 years as an aide to successive governors "no one had ever inquired about, or expressed the desire" to purchase their computer hard drives before Romney's tenure.

The cleanup of records by Romney's staff before his term ended included spending $205,000 for a three-year lease on new computers for the governor's office, according to official documents and state officials.

In signing the lease, Romney aides broke an earlier three-year lease that provided the same number of computers for about half the cost - $108,000. Lease documents obtained by Reuters under the state's freedom of information law indicate that the broken lease still had 18 months to run.

As a result of the change in leases, the cost to the state for computers in the governor's office was an additional $97,000.

Andrea Saul, a spokeswoman for Romney's presidential campaign, referred questions on the computer leasing deal and records removal to state officials.

Last week, Saul claimed that Deval Patrick, the present Massachusetts governor and a Democrat, was encouraging reports about Romney's records to cast the former governor as secretive. Patrick's office has not responded to that allegation.

STATE REVIEWING RECORDS LAW

The removal of digital records by Romney's staff, first reported by the Boston Globe, has sparked a wave of requests for state officials to release paper records from Romney's governorship that remain in the state's archives.

Massachusetts officials are now reviewing state law to determine whether the public should have access to those records.

The issue is clouded by a 1997 state court ruling that could be interpreted to mean that records of the Massachusetts governor are not subject to disclosure. Romney has asserted that his records are exempt from disclosure.

State officials and a longtime Romney adviser have acknowledged that before leaving office, Romney asked state archives officials for permission to destroy certain paper records. It is unclear whether his office notified anyone from the state before destroying electronic records.

Officials have said the details of Romney's request to remove paper records, such as what specific documents he wanted to destroy, could be made public only in response to a request under the state's freedom of information law. Reuters has filed such a request.

thehill.com

Gingrich: Comments on work ethic of poor were ‘distorted’
By Joshua Altman - 12/05/11 04:31 PM ET

GOP presidential frontrunner Newt Gingrich on Monday claimed that his recent comments about the work ethic of poor youth were being misrepresented by critics.

On Thursday, Gingrich, the former House speaker, had said that “really poor children” have bad work habits and no knowledge of how to make an income “unless it’s illegal.”

"I've been talking a little bit about the importance of work, particularly as it relates to people who are in areas where there are -- in public housing, et cetera, where there are relatively few people who go to work," explained Gingrich Monday.

"And this has been interestingly distorted by some people, who suggest that the working poor by definition know how to work, which is true. That's why they are called the working poor. I was talking about people who come out of areas and neighborhoods where they may not have that experience," he said.

Gingrich held his press conference shortly after meeting with real estate mogul Donald Trump. Gingrich said that he had discussed plans for an apprenticeship program for young people in New York with Trump.

Trump who has flirted with running for the GOP nomination himself has been a sought-after endorsement for the Republican field. He hosts a reality show on NBC, The Apprentice, where contestants vie to win a one-year job at one of his business ventures.

Gingrich's comments on the work habits of poor children attracted much criticism. Actress Eva Longoria, a prominent Obama supporter, blasted him on Twitter Saturday, writing, "@newtgingrich you clearly know little about the Latina community, Latina entrepreneurs who start businesses at 6 times the national average."

Funny, here's President Obama in 2010 reconnecting with his base of, "young people, African-Americans, Latinos, and women who powered our victory in 2008..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh-yR1HWkbM

No love for the bitter-clingers in white, rural America so why shouldn't Newt court them?

where are the purple mountains majesty and amber waves of grain?

all i hear here are specifics and seriousness. where's the swelling music? the dewy images of a reimagined past that has been stolen away by the barbarians?

Because Trump works for NBC and the debate will be on Ion Television

and it is about ratings, and this sure is one expensive Reality show.

fortunately, the candidates running to do more than get a chance to yell at Obama during a debate (hopefully with table flipping! prostitution whore!), somehow don't find Trump a credible political figure.

Huntsman: Trump debate 'is a joke'
By Geneva Sands-Sadowitz - 12/06/11 09:35 AM ET

Jon Huntsman dismissed the upcoming GOP debate moderated by real estate mogul Donald Trump as a "joke" on Tuesday.

"This is not about ratings for Donald Trump, this is about jobs for the American people. This is a serious debate that we ought to be having here in the United States," said Huntsman on NBC's "Today" show Tuesday. "I believe that the presidency of the United States of America is beyond reality shows … this is a joke."

The former Utah governor and the celebrity businessman have attacked one another though the media since Huntsman declined to participate in the debate.

Along with Huntsman, Republican contender Rep. Ron Paul (Texas) announced last week that they would not take part in the debate hosted by the conservative news outlet Newsmax.

christ, what an asshole.

Statement by Gov. Rick Perry on Obama Administration’s Use of Gay Rights to Make Foreign Aid Decisions

Posted on December 6th, 2011

AUSTIN – Gov. Rick Perry today issued the following statement:

“Just when you thought Barack Obama couldn’t get any more out of touch with America’s values, AP reports his administration wants to make foreign aid decisions based on gay rights.

“This administration’s war on traditional American values must stop.

“I have proposed a foreign aid budget that starts at zero. From that zero baseline, we will consider aid requests based solely on America’s national security interests. Promoting special rights for gays in foreign countries is not in America’s interests and not worth a dime of taxpayers’ money.

“But there is a troubling trend here beyond the national security nonsense inherent in this silly idea. This is just the most recent example of an administration at war with people of faith in this country. Investing tax dollars promoting a lifestyle many Americas of faith find so deeply objectionable is wrong.

“President Obama has again mistaken America’s tolerance for different lifestyles with an endorsement of those lifestyles. I will not make that mistake.”

Rick Perry for President 2012 | Statement by Gov. Rick Perry on Obama Administration’s Use of Gay Rights to Make Foreign Aid Decisions

very sad that people who purport to be Christians think that living their faith means not just hating but actively working to harm people different from them in countries where being gay can get you imprisoned or murdered.

it's also another tool to use against Iran. this is smart power.

here's what the Obama administration said earlier:

The struggle to end discrimination against lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) persons is a global challenge, and one that is central to the United States commitment to promoting human rights. I am deeply concerned by the violence and discrimination targeting LGBT persons around the world -- whether it is passing laws that criminalize LGBT status, beating citizens simply for joining peaceful LGBT pride celebrations, or killing men, women, and children for their perceived sexual orientation. That is why I declared before heads of state gathered at the United Nations, "no country should deny people their rights because of who they love, which is why we must stand up for the rights of gays and lesbians everywhere." Under my Administration, agencies engaged abroad have already begun taking action to promote the fundamental human rights of LGBT persons everywhere. Our deep commitment to advancing the human rights of all people is strengthened when we as the United States bring our tools to bear to vigorously advance this goal.

By this memorandum I am directing all agencies engaged abroad to ensure that U.S. diplomacy and foreign assistance promote and protect the human rights of LGBT persons.

Read more: Obama Directs International Agencies to Ensure Rights and Protection of LGBT People Abroad |Gay News|Gay Blog Towleroad

“President Obama has again mistaken America’s tolerance for different lifestyles with an endorsement of those lifestyles. I will not make that mistake.”

He's right, you know. He won't. Because he won't be president.

so much energy being wasted on people who have nothing to do with your life :crack:
A lot of people around world (especially in the US) expect everything from their nation's government instead of expecting the best from themselves as individuals.

Fortunately, the scam is over when governments can no longer bribe people with their own money.

Jon Stewart greeted the news that Donald Trump would be moderating a Republican presidential debate with these simple words: "thank you Jesus!"

Stewart told the audience on his Tuesday show that he had been despondent after Herman Cain dropped out of the presidential race, taking his vast stores of comic material with him. But just as Cain was exiting the stage, Trump --who has become a reliable comic foil for Stewart-- came barreling on with his debate announcement.

"When God closes a door, he opens a window!" Stewart said. "And sometimes, standing outside that window is a circus peanut wearing a badger."

Mitt's not into circus peanuts wearing badgers

GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney has rejected an invite to attend a Republican debate set to be moderated by real estate mogul Donald Trump later this month, he said Tuesday.

"I'm not participating," Romney said during an interview on Fox News. "I spoke with Donald Trump earlier today and indicated that we just can't make this debate."

Asked how Trump took it, Romney said it went over without incident.

"He understood my perspective and wished me well," Romney replied.

Donald Trump, through a spokesman, sends over a response to Romney's decision not to attend the debate he is hosting.

"It would seem logical to me that if I was substantially behind in the polls, especially in Iowa, South Carolina, and Florida, I would be participating in the debate. But, I can also understand why Governor Romney decided not to do it."

A lot of people around world (especially in the US) expect everything from their nation's government instead of expecting the best from themselves as individuals.

Fortunately, the scam is over when governments can no longer bribe people with their own money.

huh? this has nothing to do with government. it has to do with people putting so much energy and waste so much time hating or denying rights to people they don't even know. honestly, don't you have some sort of movie you'd rather watch than to stand outside of a funeral with a picket sign saying that god hates fags? or to sit in a church and vote on whether or not you're gonna let someone in based on the color of their skin? it's fucking 2011, for fuck's sake. go play angry birds.

GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney has rejected an invite to attend a Republican debate set to be moderated by real estate mogul Donald Trump later this month, he said Tuesday.

"I'm not participating," Romney said during an interview on Fox News. "I spoke with Donald Trump earlier today and indicated that we just can't make this debate."

Asked how Trump took it, Romney said it went over without incident.

"He understood my perspective and wished me well," Romney replied.

Donald Trump, through a spokesman, sends over a response to Romney's decision not to attend the debate he is hosting.

"It would seem logical to me that if I was substantially behind in the polls, especially in Iowa, South Carolina, and Florida, I would be participating in the debate. But, I can also understand why Governor Romney decided not to do it."

:up: well he just got brownie points from me on that one

Jesus fuck, Donald. He has to be the most petty motherfucker in the country.

Rick Perry is a petty, stupid, possibly closeted, bigot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0PAJNntoRgA

worse, he's desperate. to claim that the existence of gay people is tantamount to discrimination against Christianity makes a mockery of the word discrimination. it also makes a mockery of Christianity by positing that a Christian identity must be predicated upon a hatred (yes, hatred, listen to Perry's intended derisive inflection on gays) of a historically persecuted minority group that seeks nothing other than to be allowed to live openly and with equal rights.

this is the last, most desperate, and most stupid line of thought pitched to a shrinking, dying base that still gets excited when politicians kick gay people for political gain.

I'd say that is targeted 100% at the GOP Iowa caucus participants, some of the most religious in the country.

if he can get a surprise finish, his campaign, with the doner money collected, lives on

Keep in mind, Iowa voters threw out the judges that legalized gay marriage

I'd say that is targeted 100% at the GOP Iowa caucus participants, some of the most religious in the country.

no doubt. it's more a commentary on the beliefs of the base, and the gutter, cynical politics at play.

Keep in mind, Iowa voters threw out the judges that legalized gay marriage

also true, though it's more accurate to call it a "retention vote." this was the first ever organized campaign targeted at unseating justices and funded with millions of out-of-state dollars. no one had ever spent money on a judicial retention vote before.

no doubt. it's more a commentary on the beliefs of the base, and the gutter, cynical politics at play.

also true, though it's more accurate to call it a "retention vote." this was the first ever organized campaign targeted at unseating justices and funded with millions of out-of-state dollars. no one had ever spent money on a judicial retention vote before.

yes, I do know that
judges rarely campaign to be retained, and not retaining judges is very unusual

I do think the judges did the right thing, I also understand how state-wide initiatives and voting work, living in CA

the nominating process is really terrible, candidates need to have a state by state strategies, some small worthless states have a lot of power

this season is a bit odd, in that a candidate with no money or organization, is right at the top, and could get the nomination.

who thought, youtube, facebook?, twitter? and free time on cable t v could level the playing field

I'd like to see something like 4 regional primaries, one a week over a four week period, say around May? perhaps one every two weeks to have it run two months.

bit shameful as it's my state. can thank mr bob vander platts or however you spell it.

Guy's whole life after a failed run at governor has been going after gay lifestyle.

Hopefully Perry's efforts fall flat

if Perry and Gingrich can work over Romney in a protracted primary fight, well that could work better for Obama

and Beal, one should not feel any shame if a statewide election goes the wrong way. I am sure there are many good decent, non bias people living in the South that find themselves on the other side these moral and common decency issues

we will always have Iowa corn, the finest corn in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom