GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, what conservatives point to is that when the family breaks down a paternalistic government must step in to provide, not only health care, but food, housing, daycare, and welfare. And of course we already have a provided retirement and the Occupy crowd now demands a free college education as well.

A paternalistic government is not a limited government.

No one proposes abandoning the poor but can we please stop government policies and programs that exacerbate the problem?
Define exacerbating the problem. To me, exacerbating the problem is what conservatives are proposing. It is abandoning the poor.

Again, what conservatives point to is that when the family breaks down a paternalistic government must step in to provide, not only health care, but food, housing, daycare, and welfare.

you're assuming that people can afford these things even with 2 incomes. they can't.

poor people are still poor, whether or not mom and dad are married. the cost of these things -- health care, housing, education, day care -- has skyrocketed while real income has not increased.

it's probably nice to tell yourself that people are poor because they choose to be, or because they make poor choices, but most people are poor because they are poor.

To the surprise of absolutely nobody...

The most prominent Republican in the Obama administration is accusing GOP House members of blocking efforts to resolve the nation's problems, partly because they don't want the president to be successful.
Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood was asked at a transportation conference Friday why it was so difficult to get big infrastructure projects built right now.

He responded that "some people don't want Obama to be successful."

He said "a big percentage of the Republicans that were elected this time came here to do zero, and that's what they've done." LaHood says those lawmakers have obstructed other people who want to get things done.

Mitch McConnell already said that their #1 goal is to make Obama a one-term president, so, no, no surprise.

i can't think of another example where one party was completely and totally dedicated to the destruction of one particular individual, no matter the damage to the country.

maybe the Lewinsky scandal, but that was a sideshow. this actually effects people.

even worse: he learned "French" while on his Jesus-hating cult Mormon "mission" in "France."

also, Perry's wife thinks the reason everyone hates Rick is because he's a Christian.

just so you know.

a little research would show that Perry is the real cult- fringe lunatic guy, if you look at his affiliation and their objectives

All of these sarcastic arguments really look beyond the actual issue with Mitt. The guy will say or do anything to get elected. He has no principles. He's a complete fraud.

Is he a less scary version of a potential Republican President as compared to some of these other clowns? Sure. But do you really want a slick used car salesman with no principles leading a party of (what you would consider to be) already 'scary' individuals? Do you think he'll stand up to those elements of his party? Hell no.

Stop using Mitt as a surrogate argument against the 'crazies'.
He'll do whatever it takes to stay in office, if and when he gets there.
Including becoming a 'crazy' himself.

Speaking of Herman, his 999 plan would have someone making 50 grand a year paying almost 3 grand a year more in taxes

GOP presidential hopeful Herman Cain came down hard on immigration Saturday on the campaign trail, telling crowds in Tennessee that part of his policy would be to build an electrified fence on the Mexican border that could potentially kill anyone trying to enter the country illegally.

He backed away from that proposal Sunday morning, however, saying he wasn't serious about the idea.

"That's a joke, David," he told NBC's David Gregory on "Meet The Press." "That's not a serious plan."

The New York Times relays Cain's description of the fence: "It's going to be 20 feet high. It’s going to have barbed wire on the top. It’s going to be electrified. And there’s going to be a sign on the other side saying, ‘It will kill you -- Warning.'"

Cain later added, "We want to make it easy for people to come through the front door. And we’re going to shut off the back door so you don't have to sneak into America." The presidential hopeful suggested also using armed military troops to help secure the border.

The idea of an electrified fence also surfaced at a campaign stop in Iowa this summer, when Cain suggested America build a border wall similar to the Great Wall of China, going so far as to advocate a moat full of alligators. Cain's remarks, via ThinkProgress:

I just got back from China. Ever heard of the Great Wall of China? It looks pretty sturdy. And that sucker is real high. I think we can build one if we want to! We have put a man on the moon, we can build a fence! Now, my fence might be part Great Wall and part electrical technology. ... It will be a twenty foot wall, barbed wire, electrified on the top, and on this side of the fence, I'll have that moat that President Obama talked about. And I would put those alligators in that moat!

The "alligators in the moat" idea referenced a tongue-in-cheek comment by President Barack Obama, while speaking on immigration reform in Texas back in May. "They’ll want a higher fence. Maybe they’ll need a moat. Maybe they'll want alligators in the moat, the president joked. "They’ll never be satisfied."

Cain's controversial remarks on border security caused a backlash from the national pro-immigration group Somos Republicans, which called on him to resign his candidacy. But Cain softened his remarks in an interview with the New York Times magazine in July, saying he meant if they could build that wall centuries ago, we can secure the border today, with a combination of walls and high-tech equipment.

Commenting on the remarks after the Fox News GOP debate in August, Cain dialed back further, insisting that "America's got to learn how to take a joke."

Rick Perry Camp’s Anti-Mormon Message - The Daily Beast

"Texas Gov. Rick Perry has publicly distanced himself from the anti-Mormon rhetoric of a prominent Baptist minister who has endorsed his presidential campaign. But new evidence suggests that Perry’s team may be quietly advancing the notion that Mitt Romney’s faith should disqualify him from the White House.

The Daily Beast has obtained a series of emails that show an influential evangelical activist with close ties to the Perry campaign stressing the political importance of “juxtaposing traditional Christianity to the false God of Mormonism,” and calling for a “clarion call to Evangelical pastors and pews” that will be “the key to the primary” for Perry."

Who would have predicted this?

I had a feeling Perry wouldn't get the nom, but I didn't expect him to fail this hard this fast, and I definitely didn't think Herman insane Caine to be doing this well at this point.

I am not ready to write Perry off completely yet.

These primaries happen one at a time. And some early states do have a good GOP religious turn out. In 2000 there was a whispering campaign that pretty much stopped McCain in a few states. About his daughter, her race and parentage. These current polls won't count as much as the get out the vote calls, etc.

I'd imagine any Republican contenders this time out won't try to run their 2016 chances too hard into the ground (except for Cain, who seems to really not give a damn with his crazy rhetoric, sometimes).

2016 must look fairly ripe for the GOP, considering the corporate fund-raising juggernaut in the White House will have finished out his term limit.

Rick Santorum Calls SNL Poke At His Anti-Gay Marriage Views 'Bullying'

Rick Santorum on Sunday responded to a Saturday Night Live skit that poked fun at his anti-gay marriage views.

In the comedy sketch, GOP candidates attending a presidential debate in Iowa were arranged according to poll rankings, putting Newt Gingrich and Michele Bachmann in a broom closet, Ron Paul in a hotel parking garage and Santorum in a gay bar in San Francisco's Castro District.

In the room with the moderator were frontrunners Herman Cain, Mitt Romney and Rick Perry, though he had to face a wall.

Santorum, known as the field's most outspoken opponent of gay rights, and in particular marriage, is briefly seen cowering in the gay bar sandwiched between men wearing tank tops and leather vests.

Speaking to New Hampshire radio station WGIR, Santorum called the comedy skit a form of “bullying.”

“We've been hammered by the left for my standing up for the traditional family and I will continue to do so,” Santorum said. “The left, unfortunately, participates in bullying more than the right does. They say that they're tolerant, and they're anything but tolerant of people who disagree with them and support traditional values.”

SNL Skit Has Rick Santorum In A Gay Bar; Ron Paul In A Garage - YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom