GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 2 - Page 65 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2011, 02:21 PM   #961
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:06 AM

Don't look now but:

2012 Presidential Matchups - Rasmussen Reports™

<>

Old 12-29-2011, 02:28 PM   #962
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:06 AM
ok, we are about three days out

so lets predict the Iowa GOP Cauci finish order

here is my best guess:

1. Romney
2. Paul
3. Santorum
4. Gingrich
5. Perry
6. Bachmann
7. Huntsman

1 and 2 could flip

and 3 and 4 could flip

I am very confident I got 5 6 and 7 in the right order.

If this truly was a horse race,
my winnings at the track would be much better.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:45 PM   #963
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:06 AM
MASON CITY, Iowa -- Mitt Romney on Thursday sought to portray President Barack Obama as out of touch with the struggles of everyday Americans -- a charge he himself has often faced -- by comparing the president to a former French queen who was overthrown during the French Revolution.

"When the president's characterization of our economy was, 'It could be worse,' it reminded me of Marie Antoinette: 'Let them eat cake,'" Romney said, referring to the infamously dismissive remark toward the poor attributed to the queen.

"This is not a time to be talking about, 'It could be worse.' It's a time to recognize that things should be better," Romney said during an interview on his campaign bus with The Huffington Post. "And the president's policies have failed the American people, have led to 25 million people still being out of work. He didn't cause the recession, but he has made it deeper and has made the recovery more tepid and the pain last longer."
Old 12-29-2011, 07:21 PM   #964
War Child

Local Time: 05:06 AM
Obviously, the GOP candidates must show that they are pro-gun.

I did, however, get a chuckle out of Perry's quip at 1:28.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:02 PM   #965
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
MASON CITY, Iowa -- Mitt Romney on Thursday sought to portray President Barack Obama as out of touch with the struggles of everyday Americans -- a charge he himself has often faced -- by comparing the president to a former French queen who was overthrown during the French Revolution.

"When the president's characterization of our economy was, 'It could be worse,' it reminded me of Marie Antoinette: 'Let them eat cake,'" Romney said, referring to the infamously dismissive remark toward the poor attributed to the queen.

"This is not a time to be talking about, 'It could be worse.' It's a time to recognize that things should be better," Romney said during an interview on his campaign bus with The Huffington Post. "And the president's policies have failed the American people, have led to 25 million people still being out of work. He didn't cause the recession, but he has made it deeper and has made the recovery more tepid and the pain last longer."
So, the Obama message of 2008 "Hope & Change" and "Change you can belive in" has now dwindled to or been replaced with "It could be worse?"

Please say this isn't so....
Old 12-29-2011, 08:45 PM   #966
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Right, "attributed" but easily disproven.

President Obama did say however, “Things aren’t as bad as they could have been, this could have been a catastrophe, in that sense it [the stimulus] worked.”
Old 12-29-2011, 08:50 PM   #967
Blue Crack Addict

Which is true.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:31 PM   #968
Blue Crack Distributor

I dunno ... bringing up old-timey French queens? Sounds like stuff only elite folk knows about.

But I can see how "it could be worse," while true, could rub someone the wrong way, if they've been hit hard by all the crap raining down around them.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:32 PM   #969
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:

And his plan is...what, then, to fix that? This is the same guy who infamously said, "Corporations are people" a number of months back. But clearly he's totally "in touch" .

This story's from my town-if I weren't so bogged down with work, I would have liked to get a chance to attend that meeting, lob a question or two his way. I think Santorum was here the other day, too.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:58 PM   #970
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Which is true.
Ok, it woulda been worse but could it have been better?

You can't prove something that didn't occur but, 3 years out, would the recovery (joblessness, economy and finances) be stronger now if we'd swallowed hard and let the market take care of the housing and auto failures instead of government bailouts; reformed entitlements rather than creating a new one; cut government spending rather than adding 5 trillion in debt and getting downgraded; and pursued American energy?

Can't be proven that it would be... but some of us have a hunch.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:08 PM   #971
Blue Crack Addict

I don't trust profit-driven markets any more than I trust a bought out government. Both systems help out the same people.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:16 PM   #972
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
At least you're humble enough to state this... many on your side believe they have more than a hunch.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:27 PM   #973
Blue Crack Addict

the GOPs days are (should be) numbered

their best strategy? > voter suppression,
and they are working it with everything they got!
Old 12-30-2011, 06:38 PM   #974
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
the GOPs days are (should be) numbered

their best strategy? > voter suppression,
and they are working it with everything they got!
The United States will have more black, brown, and yellow (and purple?) than white people by 2050.

Eventually former minorities are going to figure out how to get their fair share of the pie.

Either that or all the white baby-boomers will be dead, as well
Old 12-30-2011, 07:03 PM   #975
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Ok, it woulda been worse but could it have been better?

You can't prove something that didn't occur but, 3 years out, would the recovery (joblessness, economy and finances) be stronger now if we'd swallowed hard and let the market take care of the housing and auto failures instead of government bailouts; reformed entitlements rather than creating a new one; cut government spending rather than adding 5 trillion in debt and getting downgraded; and pursued American energy?

Whose policy was the bailout? You know, the one in the fall of 2008?

As for the fiscal stimulus (the one-time expenditures that Obama started in 2009) was good policy and strongly supported by Bernanke (that Marxist). Obama inherited a recession marked by a contracting economy and insufficient aggregate demand. The first step in terms of the government response was to effect monetary policy by cutting interest rates. They'd already cut them to zero by the end of 2008 and there had not been a positive response. At that point, you have the government properly stepping in to become a sort of buyer of last resort, which has historically been effective. You can debate whether by the time the stimulus $ got to where it needed to go (due to the length it takes for bills to pass and funds to flow), and you can fault Democrats for all sorts of pork barrel politics. But you cannot debate that the economic recovery would have been slower and more jobs would have been lost due to the cyclical nature of insufficient aggregate demand. You may postulate that the debt and deficit would have been lowered, but this is a debateable point.

I think that you completely ignore the positive effect that a government stimulus has in terms of encouraging the business community and increasing business confidence. Simple proof of that can be seen in the stock markets which jump wildly at even minor announcements of government intervention. And that in itself has a positive effect on the economy and brings in more government revenues in the long run.

I don't believe it would have been better, and I haven't read an argument from you showing me how you think it would be either.