GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 2 - Page 56 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #826
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:10 PM
So the President isn't much of a role model but I guess Trump is?

Donald Trump says Poor black kids don't have role models

Thu, Dec 08, 2011

While plugging his scheduled Dec. 27 GOP debate on “Today” this morning, Donald Trump was asked what he thought about Newt Gingrich’s recent comments regarding poor children and his opinion that they lack proper work habits or any role models in their lives who put in an honest day’s work.

Trump said he agreed with Gingrich’s comments. “Maybe it wasn’t politically correct, but it happens to be the truth,” he told Matt Lauer. “I think one of the reasons he’s surging, I mean he’s like a rocket ship, is the fact that he says it like it is.

When pressed by Lauer if he really believes the poor have no role models who work, Trump cited President Obama as the inner city’s lone role model, but “Unfortunately, he hasn’t turned out to be much of a role model.”

Other than the president, “No, they don’t have in many cases role models, Matt. It’s very sad,” said Trump. “They do not have role models. I know it’s not a popular statement, but it happens to be true.”

Reverend Al Sharpton, President of National Action Network and anchor of MSNBC’s “PoliticsNation,” has joined Reverend Dr. W. Franklyn Richardson, Chairman of National Action Network and Senior Pastor of Grace Baptist Church, in condemning Trump for his comments

Both of the reverends are offering to take The Donald and Gingrich on a tour of Harlem or any other major city to show them a multiplicity of role models, including people that work every day, some working multiple jobs.

“I have known Donald Trump for many years and will not let the negligent statement he made on the “Today” show go unchallenged,” said Sharpton in a statement. “He needs to retract his comments immediately or we will organize direct action against him.”

According to Rev. Dr. W. Franklyn Richardson: “I am appalled that a man in his position would make such an irresponsible and ignorant comment on a national forum and ignore the contrary fact that there is a plethora of black role models in this country. His insensitivity is what fosters negative imagery and the perpetuation of racism in this country.”

Old 12-13-2011, 04:19 PM   #827
Blue Crack Addict

It's like he's revirginized, or whatever that's called

NY Times
December 12, 2011, 2:20 pm
Gingrich Endorses ‘Marriage Pledge’
By SUSAN SAULNY

Newt Gingrich became the latest Republican candidate to endorse the so-called marriage pledge, a controversial document put forward by an influential evangelical group in Iowa that opposes same-sex marriage and abortion.

Mr. Gingrich stopped short of signing the pledge, however.

The group, the Family Leader, asked the Republican candidates to sign its pledge as a prerequisite to being considered for an endorsement. Representative Michele Bachmann of Minnesota, Gov. Rick Perry of Texas and Rick Santorum, the former senator from Pennsylvania, all signed the pledge, which binds them to try to block same-sex marriage and putting women “in forward combat roles,” while being faithful to their spouses and supporting “robust childbearing and reproduction.”

One notable standout had been Mr. Gingrich, who is now aggressively courting the social conservatives in Iowa who have yet to throw their weight behind any one candidate.

On Monday, the Family Leader released a response by Mr. Gingrich, who gave what he called a solemn vow “to defend and strengthen the family.”

“I will support sending a federal constitutional amendment defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman to the states for ratification,” Mr. Gingrich wrote. “I will also oppose any judicial, bureaucratic, or legislative effort to define marriage in any manner other than as between one man and one woman.”

He also said he would “uphold the institution of marriage through personal fidelity to my spouse and respect for the marital bonds of others.”

And he reaffirmed his belief that life begins at conception and that the national debt need to be reduced, as well as in “defending the right of the people to rule themselves.”

Mr. Gingrich’s acknowledged marital infidelities have been a stumbling point for some evangelicals in Iowa, where matters of personal faith and morality have been driving the debate about whom to endorse. People here have openly questioned why Mr. Gingrich had not signed the pledge if he hoped for evangelical support.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:30 PM   #828
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:10 PM
Dare I wonder what their plan for promoting "robust childbearing and reproduction" consists of?

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 12-13-2011, 04:57 PM   #829
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
FactCheck.org : The Gingrich Divorce Myth

QUESTION

Did Newt Gingrich ask his former wife to sign divorce papers on her deathbed?

ANSWER

For almost three decades, Newt Gingrich has been dogged by a story that he served his first wife divorce papers while she lay in a hospital bed battling — or in some versions dying from — cancer. It didn’t happen that way.

In fact, Gingrich, the presidential candidate and former House speaker, and his first wife, Jackie Battley, had already separated and were planning to divorce before she was hospitalized. And while Battley had earlier undergone cancer surgery, this time she was in the hospital recovering from surgery to remove a tumor that — according to one of the couple’s daughters — was benign. Battley isn’t talking to reporters, but she’s still very much alive.
3 wives? Family values indeed....

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Dare I wonder what their plan for promoting "robust childbearing and reproduction" consists of?
Contraceptives are banned forever!
Old 12-13-2011, 05:02 PM   #830
Blue Crack Addict

At a press briefing Tuesday, President Barack Obama adviser David Axelrod described Newt Gingrich‘s ascent in the polls with this wise proverb: “The higher a monkey climbs on the pole the more you can see his butt.”
Old 12-13-2011, 05:07 PM   #831
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:10 PM
Oh dear. That's .... I don't know. Refreshingly candid I guess, but maybe not the best move. Take the high road, mister.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:16 PM   #832
Blue Crack Addict

Axelrod also blasted Gingrich for the debt he owed to high-end jewelry store Tiffany & Co., saying the media "left him for dead at the checkout counter at Tiffany's and now he's back like a lion in winter."
Old 12-13-2011, 05:18 PM   #833
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:10 PM
Maybe he was drunk.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 12-13-2011, 05:20 PM   #834
Blue Crack Distributor

Okay, I misread the original post - I thought Obama had said that!

Carry on, Mr. Axelrod.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:26 PM   #835
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I thought Obama had said that!
Now THAT would have been something

I think Axelrod is his former adviser. Not just as of today
Old 12-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #836
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
At a press briefing Tuesday, President Barack Obama adviser David Axelrod described Newt Gingrich‘s ascent in the polls with this wise proverb: “The higher a monkey climbs on the pole the more you can see his butt.”
racist

not funny
Old 12-13-2011, 06:04 PM   #837
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post

Remember how much outrage these caused? Guess the outrage was selective.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:09 PM   #838
Blue Crack Distributor

My previous comment originally included this: "how long until someone cries outrage because "Well, how come we can't call Obama a monkey????"

Damn, I wish I'd left it in there. I didn't realize it would come so quickly. Congratulations.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:14 PM   #839
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
My previous comment originally included this: "how long until someone cries outrage because "Well, how come we can't call Obama a monkey????"

Damn, I wish I'd left it in there. I didn't realize it would come so quickly. Congratulations.
Oh, it's just the usual double standard. If you're a conservative and you call Obama, "the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy,” you're racist. When a liberal says it he's called Mr. Vice President.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:17 PM   #840
Blue Crack Addict

I'm not supporting that monkey's butt comment at all, it's not appropriate. But I think we all know why it's not appropriate to compare the President to a monkey.