GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 2 - Page 51 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #751
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:57 AM
cauci positioning
(and primaries,too)

Old 12-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #752
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:57 PM
Yep.

I'm not a Jon Stewart fan, but his segment last night 'rating' the various candidates' pitches at the Republican Jewish Coalition forum was pretty funny.

"The Matzorian Candidate" - The Daily Show, Dec. 8

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 12-09-2011, 05:37 PM   #753
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:57 AM
Help me out here. Isn't "Arab" an ethnicity as opposed to a nationality?

Wouldn't this be like saying that the French and Germans are "invented peoples" because really they're all European and part of the European community?
Old 12-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #754
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:57 PM
Yes, it's an ethnicity rather than a nationality. Like the Han Chinese, Arabs are sometimes called a "panethnic" group, meaning that as a consequence of history they happen to comprise an exceptionally diverse group of people (could be genetically, linguistically etc.) relative to most other ethnic groups. I'm not aware of anyone who considers "European" an ethnicity though ("white" maybe; in some former colonies, untangling race from ethnicity can get tricky), so I'm not sure that analogy quite works?

All existing national identities are inventions to some degree. It's fair enough to say no Ottoman Arabs thought of themselves as "Palestinians," but of course no Jews at the time thought of themselves as "Israelis" either. It's especially audacious for an American, coming from one of the younger nations in the world (a nation whose self-concept was likewise crystallized through opposition to a colonial power), to deny the existence of Palestinian identity on the grounds that it's too recent to be "authentic."

Politically, there is of course the movement known as Arab nationalism, though in practice that's historically been much more about resisting Western influence in the Middle East than about serious aspirations to a unitary Arab state. Given the history of 'the Arab world,' a single Arab state would seem about as likely a prospect as a single European state.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 12-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #755
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

^ yeah, European was the wrong word. "They're all Caucasians and a part of the Caucasion community" would have been a more apt analogy, no?
Old 12-09-2011, 09:55 PM   #756
Blue Crack Addict

Perry continues to pile on with unpopular statements.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:28 AM   #757
Blue Crack Supplier

Jesus Responds to Rick Perry's "Strong" Ad from DC Pierson, Ryan Perez, Funny Or Die, BoTown Sound, and Alex Richanbach

"what have gays in the military ever done to Rick Perry other than keep him safe while he executed the mentally retarded?"
Old 12-10-2011, 12:47 AM   #758
The Fly

Local Time: 03:57 AM
Speaking of Rick Perry and executions, can anyone answer this for me: why are most Evangelical Christians pro-death penalty? Can anyone offer a good explanation for this? I'm not religious, but it's just disappointing to me to see people who are devout followers of Jesus to support capital punishment. It was especially disappointing when I found out Joel Osteen, the televangelist, also support capital punishment. I just don't get it.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:49 AM   #759
Blue Crack Addict

no death penalty
no Jesus
Old 12-10-2011, 01:16 AM   #760
War Child

Local Time: 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung11 View Post
Speaking of Rick Perry and executions, can anyone answer this for me: why are most Evangelical Christians pro-death penalty? Can anyone offer a good explanation for this? I'm not religious, but it's just disappointing to me to see people who are devout followers of Jesus to support capital punishment. It was especially disappointing when I found out Joel Osteen, the televangelist, also support capital punishment. I just don't get it.
"Whoever takes the life of any human being shall be put to death" (Leviticus 24:17).
Old 12-10-2011, 01:27 AM   #761
The Fly

Local Time: 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb8844 View Post
"Whoever takes the life of any human being shall be put to death" (Leviticus 24:17).
"Thou shall not kill"

Aren't the Ten Commandments the direct word of God? Aren't they supreme to any other line in the Bible, much like the Constitution is the supreme law of our country?

The Bible says a lot of things. Some of them contradict each other, some of them don't make sense, some are just pure strange. But I would think, by taking an overall message from the Bible, that Jesus wouldn't be an advocate for putting anyone to death. And just the idea that human beings are God's creation, it doesn't make sense to kill anyone.

According to Christianity, God regulates life, and so we shouldn't play his role by using artificial insemination to create life, or by using contraceptives to prevent life from being created. So why is okay to play the role of God in taking life away?
Old 12-10-2011, 01:35 AM   #762
Blue Crack Addict

would you have preferred Jesus got a life sentence without the possibility of parole, instead of execution?

you do believe there was a real Jesus, that did die at a state execution?
Old 12-10-2011, 01:35 AM   #763
War Child

Quote:
"Thou shall not kill"

Aren't the Ten Commandments the direct word of God? Aren't they supreme to any other line in the Bible, much like the Constitution is the supreme law of our country?
Most people who would use the Bible as backing for being pro capital punishment would probably agree that the whole Bible is the direct word of God. Also, if you are to believe the Biblical timeline, around the same time that the Israelites had received the ten commandments, they were still putting people to death for much less than murder (adultery, disobeying parents, etc). So take that as you will.

Quote:
According to Christianity, God regulates life, and so we shouldn't play his role by using artificial insemination to create life, or by using contraceptives to prevent life from being created. So why is okay to play the role of God in taking life away?
That's a gross misinterpretation of Scripture by modern day Christianity. Particularly the anti-contraception attitude. Nowhere is there Scriptural backing for that.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:15 AM   #764
Blue Crack Addict

Leviticus is the worst book of any in the Bible. Just absolute horseshit from start to finish, completely made up. There's no way Leviticus reflects God's word, and if it does, well then God sucks.

The God I know isn't an asshole.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:40 PM   #765
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb8844

What does it say about shellfish?