GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 2 - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2011, 12:44 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Boy Scouts = private organization that actively discriminates against gays. They are free to do so. But no one has to applaud them.
Not applauding is quite different from booing. It's always been pretty black and white to me -- adults shouldn't bully minors. Must be one of those gray areas you proudly claim to occupy.

Quote:
A soldier IN IRAQ is entirely different.
Yes, about that. I wonder if you realize the tinge of hypocrisy liberals display at their indignation at a soldier getting booed by a handful of attendees at a boisterous political event when liberal administrators at Harvard, Yale and other elite schools around the country have banned ROTC and military recruiting from their campuses for 40 years. And in San Francisco, the pumping left ventricle of American liberalism, the voters themselves banned military recruiters from public high schools and colleges.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:45 PM   #47
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Not wanting recruitment in certain areas = booing a soldier?

What kind of logic is that?

Old 09-24-2011, 03:25 PM   #48
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Not applauding is quite different from booing. It's always been pretty black and white to me -- adults shouldn't bully minors. Must be one of those gray areas you proudly claim to occupy.

no one is condoning booing boy scouts -- you're conflating of the two situations is bogus and lazy. though your rigid, right-or-wrong thinking likely makes you unable to make distinctions between such things, i'm afraid.

Quote:
Yes, about that. I wonder if you realize the tinge of hypocrisy liberals display at their indignation at a soldier getting booed by a handful of attendees at a boisterous political event when liberal administrators at Harvard, Yale and other elite schools around the country have banned ROTC and military recruiting from their campuses for 40 years. And in San Francisco, the pumping left ventricle of American liberalism, the voters themselves banned military recruiters from public high schools and colleges.

oh please. that's not even a stretch, it's a yank. it has nothing to do with the case at hand and you're not even trying to defend the audience or the candidates because you know it was indefensible all the way down. you'd rather do the whole, "oh, yeah? well here's something YOU do," and switch the topic.

but seeing as how i'm laid up with a cold and cranky, fine, i'll engage. i'll say these elite institutions are PRIVATE institutions and doing just what the Boy Scouts do -- and they are free to do so. you'll note that ROTC recruiters will be heading back to Harvard now that they've removed DADT.

we had a man who was gay is now out who is serving in Iraq and asked a question and got booed and no one said anything and Santorum told him he'd have to go back in the closet (but he'd be gracious enough not to witch hunt him out) and the crowd erupted in cheers. and this from the war party that gets excited whenever we blow up shit anywhere.

remember, more than 70% of Americans, supported the repeal of DADT. this is not controversial by any stretch of the imagination.

if anything, it's liberals who view the troops as something more than cannon fodder that can be thrown into whatever Asian country to achieve whatever dubious political goal while using the peril they face as evidence of some kind of "strength."

all this goes hand in hand with the rank hypocrisy we have had on display in just these debates alone.

we love the troops ... but boo the gay ones.

we're the party of life ... but we applaud 234 executions, including at least one known innocent man, of Gov. Perry, the governor with the most executions in American history.

we're against universal health care ... and think people without health insurance should die rather than get treatment.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:44 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:38 PM
Quote:
the voters themselves banned military recruiters from public high schools and colleges.
Woah!!!! They banned military recruitment from high schools?!?!? How fucking evil. What a fucking den of sin you live in. God must hate them. What has America become? I pray for you. I hope you get your high school military recruitment back. Fuck. What a terrible world you live in. Clearly you need Christ now more than ever.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:46 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

I'm really disappointed they didn't get banned in my high school or college. I just want to get lunch, I don't want to know why my 130 pound self should be running with guns in Afghanistan.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:03 AM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:38 AM
Herman Cain won the Florida straw poll.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:36 AM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:38 AM
Quote:
The Republican Party’s straw poll results are:

Herman Cain, 37.1%
Rick Perry, 15.4%
Mitt Romney, 14.0%
Rick Santorum, 10.9%
Ron Paul, 10.4%
Newt Gingrich, 8.4%
Jon Huntsman, 2.3%
Michele Bachmann, 1.5%
what happened to Bachmann?
Old 09-25-2011, 09:06 AM   #53
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post
Herman Cain won the Florida straw poll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
what happened to Bachmann?

Old 09-25-2011, 12:48 PM   #54
Forum Moderator

I stopped paying attention to Cain after he declared municipalities have the right to ban mosques in order to protect themselves from sharia law, and that he would not consider appointing a Muslim to a Cabinet position. Unfortunately frank xenophobia won't deter some voters.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 09-25-2011, 12:59 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
no one is condoning booing boy scouts -- you're conflating of the two situations is bogus and lazy. though your rigid, right-or-wrong thinking likely makes you unable to make distinctions between such things, i'm afraid.
Just pointing out that intolerance comes in all shapes, colors and agendas.
Quote:
all this goes hand in hand with the rank hypocrisy we have had on display in just these debates alone.

we love the troops ... but boo the gay ones.

we're the party of life ... but we applaud 234 executions, including at least one known innocent man, of Gov. Perry, the governor with the most executions in American history.

we're against universal health care ... and think people without health insurance should die rather than get treatment.
What hypocrisy? Conservatives DO believe capital punishment should be an optional punishment for heinous crimes. We ARE against government managed universal health care and we ARE a little iffy on the repeal of DADT. Large crowds only illustrate that some people present those ideas more, what's the word I'm looking for... bluntly, than others.

But again, this is the distraction from the failed, divisive policies of this president. I realize that's all the Left has at this point. You've played the Tea Party incites violence card, the race card, the Mediscare card and now the barbarians at the gate card.

Can't wait for the next one.

(hope you feel better, I had it 2 weeks ago. You'll find your cough lingers well after all other symptoms subside)
Old 09-25-2011, 08:50 PM   #56
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
But again, this is the distraction from the failed, divisive policies of this president.

up is down? seriously? it's OBAMA who's been divisive? what kind of alternate reality do you live in?

i guess a world where this:

Quote:
government managed universal health care
is what you think the ACA is.

i guess you're right, though. it's less hypocrisy and more a total disconnect from reality.

in any event, i'm sorry Perry is already crashing and burning, the debates having revealed him as Bush, but without the compassion, curiosity, and intellectual rigor.

feeling better today. also made me feel better? my premiums just went down by over $20 a month!
Old 09-25-2011, 08:56 PM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:38 PM
Rick Perry Debates Miss Teen South Carolina - YouTube
Old 09-25-2011, 09:34 PM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
When did loutish, cruel, and ignorant behavior become socially appropriate?
Posted by TygrBright in Editorials & Other Articles
Sun Sep 25th 2011, 09:17 PM
This bothers me. A lot.

It bothers me a little that people have mean, loutish, ignorant thoughts and beliefs. Not a lot. Because some of my beliefs, when I'm alone in the dark, taking my soul out and looking at it... well, there's a little of the mean, the loutish, the ignorant in me, too. I'm a human being, it's in the DNA.

But I was raised to believe that stuff like that is shameful. That expressing stuff like that will make ordinary people (who have their own Inner Mean Louts, but understand about not letting them out to play,) not want me to live near them or marry their children or work with their spouses or otherwise intersect with them socially.

The closest I let my Inner Yahoo to the surface is when I don't restrain myself from laughing at a mean joke or when I snigger at a cruelly funny remark. And even then, I prefer to do it in privacy, in front of my own computer.

When the Navy SEALs finally took bin Laden out, I admit, there was a small, nasty voice inside me yelling, "Good! I hope you had a last moment of supreme terror and regret, you vile son of a bitch-- and that the shades of every man, woman, and child who's died since you incited your mindless vicious minions to hijack planes in 2001 rise up to accuse you before your Prophet and your God." I admit it. I had those thoughts.

But I tried NOT to express them. Because my Socially Appropriate, Acceptable Self-- the one I resisted acquiring as a child, rebelled against as a teen, chafed against as a young adult, made friends with reluctantly and ultimately learned to appreciate deeply-- told me that the proper, socially appropriate response to that event was more along the lines of: "Well, I'm glad it's over. I would have preferred that he could be brought to trial in a court of law, I would have preferred that no one, not even that sick barstid, die by my government's decree, but I understand the reasons and if this was how it went down, well, I'll make my peace with it."

I have anger-- anger I believe to be righteous and justified-- at the evil done by many of my fellow human-beings. But I try to express that anger in socially appropriate ways. Will I march, will I chant, will I shake my fist and holler? Yes, there are times and places for that.

Will I laugh and applaud tragedy, cruelty, and dehumanization of others? No matter how much evil they may do, I will try hard to condemn actions, express outrage at wrongs, and state opposition to positions and opinions strongly, but without dehumanizing those whom I oppose.

I see a world becoming more habituated to thuggery, to cruelty, to dehumanization. I see a world where politeness, good manners, respectful disagreement, and standards of adult discourse are being shattered and degraded and thrown aside for strident self-expression of beliefs and opinions. I see a world where it's socially appropriate to laugh about the tragedy of people being put to death (hah-hah! YOU DESERVE IT, SUCKER!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!) I see a world where people seeking positions of leadership and authority see no need to remonstrate with thuggish public boo-ing of a service member based on his sexual orientation.

I see a world getting meaner, smaller-souled, colder and more darwinist. (And isn't that just the ultimate in irony? That people who believe the Earth was created 6,000 years ago nevertheless embrace and avow a creepy principle misnamed for the man who first articulated the reasoned science of evolution?)

I see a nation re-shaping its social norms based on the social norms of a suburban junior high school. A nation where adults are not expected to exercise control in presenting their opinions and feelings. Where disagreement stays forever at the level of schoolyard bullying and playing the dozens, and there seems to be no more will to impose any kind of expectations of adult, thoughtful interaction among people who disagree.
TygrBright's Journal - When did loutish, cruel, and ignorant behavior become socially appropriate?
Old 09-25-2011, 09:39 PM   #59
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:38 PM
Completely agree, FiG.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:52 AM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:08 AM
Quote:
But again, this is the distraction from the failed, divisive policies of this president. I realize that's all the Left has at this point. You've played the Tea Party incites violence card, the race card, the Mediscare card and now the barbarians at the gate card.
If I may ask, what's this got to do with the left?