GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 2 - Page 38 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-23-2011, 10:36 PM   #556
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,255
Local Time: 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved1998 View Post
Didn't Rush just say that Michelle Obama got booed at a Nascar rally because she's too uppity? You know what kind of connotations that word carries? Why on earth haven't you condemned what he said? Are you just that indecent of a human being?
How cute, throwing my exact quotations back at me! You're so clever!

First of all, given the historical usage of that adjective, I would suggest everyone refrain from using it in reference to black people. However, unlike "nigger" or "bitch," it's a word that actually has a definition and can be used in applicable situations. Does "bitch" have some alternate meaning that I'm not aware of that perhaps The Roots were bestowing on the congresswoman?

Second, Rush would never be so vile in the presence of the Obamas. In fact, Rush has actually met the president once. Does anyone here think he was anything other than polite and gracious in their meeting? Maybe Questlove can give Rush a call and take a lesson on how to be decent in the presence of people you otherwise passionately dislike. That's a skill that will come in handy many, many times in life.

It's simply bizarre seeing how some of you are trying to desperately connect this argument back to Rush somehow, rather than just acknowledging the utter hatred and disrespect directed at Bachmann and moving on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved1998 View Post
No, Rush just all but calls the first lady of the United States a nigger
Just stop. No, better yet- I'll stop. There's no point trying to have an adult conversation with someone who says crap like this.
__________________

__________________
2861U2 is online now  
Old 11-23-2011, 11:36 PM   #557
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Tiger Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Everglades
Posts: 4,740
Local Time: 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
it's a word that actually has a definition and can be used in applicable situations.
So how was she being uppity at the NASCAR race?

Quote:
rather than just acknowledging the utter hatred and disrespect directed at Bachmann and moving on.
I don't recall anyone excusing The Roots (before you link me back to Canadiens' post, please be aware he's not involved in this debate). We just don't see why they have the civic duty of apologizing to the nation for their own opinion. You keep bouncing around about who besides The Roots should be ashamed. Fallon, NBC, the sponsors... none of them have anything to do with The Roots' song choice or their performance of such song.
What did NBC or the sponsors have to do with Sinead O'Connor ripping a photo of the pope in half?

Quote:
"I think the point is," she told Fox News's America's Newsroom, "if that had been Michelle Obama who had come out on the stage, and if that song had been played for Michelle Obama, I have no doubt that NBC would have apologized to her and likely they could have fired the drummer, at least suspended him, none of that happened from NBC and this is clearly a form of bias on the part of the Hollywood entertainment elite but it’s also I think it’s sexism as well."
If you're going to continue this Rush talk, let's take a look at the first comparison-queen in this whole business: Michelle Bachmann. What the fuck does Michelle Obama have to do with this? She's not a politician.
On top of it all, how come that uppity Michelle Obama didn't demand an apology from NASCAR for not controlling their fans? After all, those fans were heard loud and clear BOOING the First Lady on national television in an event sanctioned by NASCAR that most definitely had sponsors.

Anyway, she is a liar. So they got half of it right...
__________________

__________________
Tiger Edge is offline  
Old 11-23-2011, 11:43 PM   #558
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,699
Local Time: 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2

Second, Rush would never be so vile in the presence of the Obamas. In fact, Rush has actually met the president once. Does anyone here think he was anything other than polite and gracious in their meeting? Maybe Questlove can give Rush a call and take a lesson on how to be decent in the presence of people you otherwise passionately dislike. That's a skill that will come in handy many, many times in life.
Where I grew up this was called being two-faced.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 11-23-2011, 11:45 PM   #559
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Tiger Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Everglades
Posts: 4,740
Local Time: 06:06 PM
I was just about to make that point but I feel like I've taken more than enough points this evening.

I don't really see how it's better to be cordial and friendly with someone one minute and then hate them openly the moment they turn around. I'd rather have a knife in my chest than my back. At least I'll be able to assess the damage, not bump into stuff trying to take it out, the ability to apply pressure on the wound.

I lost the metaphor somewhere along the way.

The real lesson is to just not spew hatred out every day of your life. Instead of constantly complaining about the way things are and what other people believe in, be constructive and work for the benefit of your friends, family and community.
__________________
Tiger Edge is offline  
Old 11-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #560
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,999
Local Time: 05:06 PM
I love this

__________________
MrsSpringsteen is online now  
Old 11-25-2011, 05:42 PM   #561
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,999
Local Time: 05:06 PM
Washington (CNN) -- NBC has apologized to Rep. Michele Bachmann after the house band for "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon" played an inappropriate song during her appearance on the show Monday, CNN confirmed Thursday.

Bachmann received a letter Wednesday from Doug Vaughan, NBC's senior vice president for special programs and late night, that apologized for what happened and called the incident "not only unfortunate but also unacceptable," said Alice Stewart, the Republican presidential hopeful's spokeswoman.

According to Stewart, the letter also said the show's band, which played the song "Lyin' Ass Bitch" by Fishbone as Bachmann first appeared on stage, was "severely reprimanded."

"She accepted the apology," Stewart told CNN Thursday.

Bachmann also spoke to Fallon Wednesday and had a "nice conversation," said Stewart, who described the late night host as "remorseful" and "a class act."
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is online now  
Old 11-26-2011, 11:53 AM   #562
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Winterfell
Posts: 3,825
Local Time: 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
How cute, throwing my exact quotations back at me! You're so clever!

First of all, given the historical usage of that adjective, I would suggest everyone refrain from using it in reference to black people. However, unlike "nigger" or "bitch," it's a word that actually has a definition and can be used in applicable situations. Does "bitch" have some alternate meaning that I'm not aware of that perhaps The Roots were bestowing on the congresswoman?
Wow. So calling a successful black women who happens to be the first lady, 'uppity' is an applicable situation? You've truly shown your true colors.

Look up what that word means, then study up on American history between 1865-1965, and then tell us about all the applicable situations where that word can be used.
__________________
Steved1998 is offline  
Old 11-26-2011, 12:47 PM   #563
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,735
Local Time: 02:06 PM
.
__________________
corianderstem is online now  
Old 11-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #564
War Child
 
Caleb8844's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 662
Local Time: 04:06 PM
According to google it means arrogant, and is synonymous to conceited.
__________________
Caleb8844 is offline  
Old 11-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #565
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Winterfell
Posts: 3,825
Local Time: 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb8844 View Post
According to google it means arrogant, and is synonymous to conceited.
In the 1870s the KKK beat and killed thousands of blacks who they regarded as "uppity" or too successful. The term was applied to black people by former confederates, segregationists, and racists if they became too successful or prosperous in the reconstruction south. If a black person didn't know their place in southern white society, they were called uppity and punished accordingly (i.e. intimidation, beatings, vandalism and lynching). Blacks that participated in the various civil rights boycotts, marches and sit ins of the 50s and 60s were also referred to as being "uppity".
__________________
Steved1998 is offline  
Old 11-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #566
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,255
Local Time: 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved1998 View Post
Wow. So calling a successful black women who happens to be the first lady, 'uppity' is an applicable situation? You've truly shown your true colors.

Look up what that word means, then study up on American history between 1865-1965, and then tell us about all the applicable situations where that word can be used.
Is this a joke? Did you not read the exact part of my post that you just quoted- the part that answers the very questions you're asking me? I don't think you did. I see you're a teacher, but for your students' sake I really hope it's not in English. You seem to have comprehension issues.

So I'll repeat myself for you. Try reading slowly if need be.

Yes, I'm aware of the historical allusions associated with that word. However, unlike a word like "nigger", for example, it's a legitimate word that has a definition and that can be used in applicable situations to describe a person's behavior. That's just a fact. Where did I ever say that Rush's use of the word towards the first lady was an appropriate use? I'll help you out- I didn't. Because it isn't.

My "true colors"- please. I honestly have no recollection of you posting here except for the past couple weeks, but I'm glad you're smart enough to be able to deduce the kind of person I am in that short amount of time.
__________________
2861U2 is online now  
Old 11-26-2011, 04:45 PM   #567
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Winterfell
Posts: 3,825
Local Time: 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
Is this a joke? Did you not read the exact part of my post that you just quoted- the part that answers the very questions you're asking me? I don't think you did. I see you're a teacher, but for your students' sake I really hope it's not in English. You seem to have comprehension issues.

So I'll repeat myself for you. Try reading slowly if need be.

Yes, I'm aware of the historical allusions associated with that word. However, unlike a word like "nigger", for example, it's a legitimate word that has a definition and that can be used in applicable situations to describe a person's behavior. That's just a fact. Where did I ever say that Rush's use of the word towards the first lady was an appropriate use? I'll help you out- I didn't. Because it isn't.

My "true colors"- please. I honestly have no recollection of you posting here except for the past couple weeks, but I'm glad you're smart enough to be able to deduce the kind of person I am in that short amount of time.
I read your post loud and clear. I saw what you said, but you're wrong. You can't argue that there is legitimate use for the word. Go on, go call a black person uppity and see how they react. Tell them you used the word legitimately. Good, So you agree that Rush's use of the word was inappropriate. If only you were willing to condemn him with as much outrage as you had over a shitty late night talk show that played a couple seconds from an obscure song.

As for your true colors, it's fairly easy to pick out the conservative shills that have ruined a once great political party and are now trying to do the same to the country.
__________________
Steved1998 is offline  
Old 11-26-2011, 05:09 PM   #568
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,735
Local Time: 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved1998 View Post
Go on, go call a black person uppity and see how they react. Tell them you used the word legitimately.
Did you miss this part of his post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
First of all, given the historical usage of that adjective, I would suggest everyone refrain from using it in reference to black people.

EDIT: It made me all curious, so I poked around online and sure enough, a lot of people think it shouldn't be used at all. Gotta admit, this is news to me. But I'm fine with being wrong - I don't pretend like I know everything about everything. Interesting.

I've read a lot of online conversations (some thoughtful, others irritating) about words and phrases with racist connotations and whether or not they can be used in a non-racist context, but I'd never seen "uppity" come into the discussion.

So, uh ..... thanks, Rush? I guess? For bringing this to my attention?
__________________
corianderstem is online now  
Old 11-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #569
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
BonosSaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,566
Local Time: 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
I love this

__________________
BonosSaint is offline  
Old 11-27-2011, 08:38 PM   #570
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Tiger Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Everglades
Posts: 4,740
Local Time: 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Edge View Post
So how was she being uppity at the NASCAR race?
well?
__________________

__________________
Tiger Edge is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com