GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 2 - Page 37 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2011, 01:20 PM   #541
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:44 PM
Michele Bachmann has spoken out and demanded an apology for the song played by the Roots, the "Late Night With Jimmy Fallon" house band, when she was introduced as a guest Monday night. Bachmann called the song, "Lyin' Ass Bitch" by Fishbone, sexist and a sign of Hollywood's bias.

She was unaware of the significance of the song's title at the time, she said, but was later angered to hear its meaning.

"I think the point is," she told Fox News's America's Newsroom, "if that had been Michelle Obama who had come out on the stage, and if that song had been played for Michelle Obama, I have no doubt that NBC would have apologized to her and likely they could have fired the drummer, at least suspended him, none of that happened from NBC and this is clearly a form of bias on the part of the Hollywood entertainment elite but it’s also I think it’s sexism as well."

Old 11-23-2011, 01:21 PM   #542
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
How is any different from what what Beck and Rush do on a daily basis?

Oh, I know the difference: Fallon had the decency to apologize. Am I missing something? Is it only indecent when it happens to someone on your side of the aisle?
Please. You're being silly. When have Rush or Glenn ever, in the very presence of someone gracious enough to come on their show, not-so-subtly but very cowardly implied they were a lying bitch?

And by the way- you're doing it too, now. You're bringing up a conservative when someone in here goes after a liberal- the very thing you harassed me for yesterday in the Fox News thread.

Fallon apologized on twitter. That's hardly good enough. Fallon didn't even have anything to do with it. The Roots need to apologize, as does NBC, not only to the public but directly to the congresswoman.

Why are you defending this? Would you be okay if that had been Hillary or Nancy?

Old 11-23-2011, 01:30 PM   #543
Blue Crack Addict

I'm not defending them playing that song-even if "snark" is what they usually do (I never watch the show, can't stay up that late), I don't think it's appropriate to play it. Personally can't have a political double standard about that. But I don't think it matters that Rush or Beck say things like that about Michelle O or Hillary or anyone else when they aren't guests on their show. Guest or not, inappropriate all the same.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:35 PM   #544
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:44 PM
Fallon is hardly the spot for a political forum. It was a dumb move, but do they really need to apologize? They are held by no journalistic or political standards. People didn't apologize for burning Dixie Chicks CDs, nor did they need to. It was a personal opinion. It's pretty clear The Roots don't speak for NBC in any form or variant. They apparently don't even speak for Fallon either.

Why does no one demand apologies from SNL when they lampoon politicians on a weekly basis?
Old 11-23-2011, 01:50 PM   #545
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
Please. You're being silly. When have Rush or Glenn ever, in the very presence of someone gracious enough to come on their show, not-so-subtly but very cowardly implied they were a lying bitch?
You and I both know that neither one of these people are brave enough or intelligent enough to bring someone on that opposed their view. It's why they hate the fairness doctrine. Now who's being silly?

Quote:
And by the way- you're doing it too, now. You're bringing up a conservative when someone in here goes after a liberal- the very thing you harassed me for yesterday in the Fox News thread.
Apples and oranges. First of all, I don't know Fallon's leanings. Second of all the only reason I bring up Rush and Beck because it seems like the only way you can relate to things.

Quote:
Why are you defending this? Would you be okay if that had been Hillary or Nancy?
I'm not defending this, honestly where do you get this? I just find it ironic that you get so self righteous about something fairly minor about this but defend worse actions by your talking heads.

BTW, we don't need to look much further than your own presidential candidate Cain to find this kind of name calling(and much more directly) towards Nancy.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:50 PM   #546
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Edge View Post
Fallon is hardly the spot for a political forum. It was a dumb move, but do they really need to apologize? They are held by no journalistic or political standards. People didn't apologize for burning Dixie Chicks CDs, nor did they need to. It was a personal opinion. It's pretty clear The Roots don't speak for NBC in any form or variant. They apparently don't even speak for Fallon either.

Why does no one demand apologies from SNL when they lampoon politicians on a weekly basis?
Regular citizens burning CDs aren't accountable to anyone. They can do whatever they want. Fallon has a responsibility to his sponsors, a responsibility to be a positive representation of his network, and a responsibility to treat his guests with at least some human decency or risk the backlash. That's what's happening now.

And there's a difference between "lampooning" someone on SNL and calling them vile names. Jon Huntsman was on last week- would it have been acceptable to call him to his face something terribly offensive? I don't care if it's masquerading as a comedy show, what The Roots pulled was pathetic. Tell her backstage that you don't like her policies. Don't be cowards and hide behind a song.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:04 PM   #547
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Newest PPP poll of Pennsylvania...why do Republicans hate Mittens?

Newt Gingrich: 32 (6)
Herman Cain: 15 (10)
Rick Santorum: 12 (14)
Mitt Romney: 12 (17)
Ron Paul: 9 (9)
Michele Bachmann: 5 (24)
Rick Perry: 3 (8)
Jon Huntsman: 3 (3)
Gary Johnson: 0 (-)
My state fucking blows.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:10 PM   #548
Blue Crack Addict

It was absolutely immature of the Roots to play that song since its title includes the word "bitch," and unfair to Fallon, who probably had no idea what was going on. But "terribly offensive"? Let's settle down. They called her a liar. Big deal. It should be noted that, yes, she is a liar, so it's not really offensive, so much as just a little on the nose.

And why do you care about his sponsors? That's up to them and him. He has no responsibility to you, or the public discourse. He's a late night comedian. His job is to make people laugh, no more and no less. If he fails to do that, then take issue with him. Don't take issue because his band didn't live up to the sponsors' wishes. Why would that even be on your radar?
Old 11-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #549
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Regular citizens burning CDs aren't accountable to anyone. They can do whatever they want. Fallon has a responsibility to his sponsors, a responsibility to be a positive representation of his network, and a responsibility to treat his guests with at least some human decency or risk the backlash. That's what's happening now.

And there's a difference between "lampooning" someone on SNL and calling them vile names. Jon Huntsman was on last week- would it have been acceptable to call him to his face something terribly offensive? I don't care if it's masquerading as a comedy show, what The Roots pulled was pathetic. Tell her backstage that you don't like her policies. Don't be cowards and hide behind a song.
It sounds like Fallon, nor his producers (who have the real responsibility to the sponsors, not the presenter of the show and most certainly not the band ) were not aware of what was happening, and we only have their word to go by. I'm sure the interview went by with pleasantries and politeness, but that doesn't make the news. In any case, he apologized.

Quote:
I don't care if it's masquerading as a comedy show
This is the weirdest comment of all. It IS a comedy show.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:38 PM   #550
Blue Crack Addict

No, it's masquerading as one, because it's on NBC, and it's all CRAZY LIBERAL SHIT.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #551
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
It's nothing short of disgusting that you approve of what happened. Why on earth are you proud of this? Are you just that indecent of a human being?
Didn't Rush just say that Michelle Obama got booed at a Nascar rally because she's too uppity? You know what kind of connotations that word carries? Why on earth haven't you condemned what he said? Are you just that indecent of a human being?
Old 11-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #552
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

Fallon apologized on twitter. That's hardly good enough. Fallon didn't even have anything to do with it. The Roots need to apologize, as does NBC, not only to the public but directly to the congresswoman.

No, Rush just all but calls the first lady of the United States a nigger when she's not on his show to defend herself.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:30 PM   #553
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:44 PM
will this woman tweet an apology?

eyes open at the 14 second spot, (for you stoners)

Old 11-23-2011, 10:02 PM   #554
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

^. . .the hell?
Old 11-23-2011, 10:02 PM   #555
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved1998 View Post
Didn't Rush just say that Michelle Obama got booed at a Nascar rally because she's too uppity? You know what kind of connotations that word carries? Why on earth haven't you condemned what he said? Are you just that indecent of a human being?
I was wondering the same thing.