GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 2 - Page 35 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2011, 08:03 PM   #511
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:39 PM
Nothing wrong with a Muslim doctor, as long as they take a loyalty oath.

If they won't do that, they don't need to practice medicine in America.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #512
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
What's the matter, afraid of doing a little hard labor for a modest wage as you work your way towards a respectable job?
The modern extension of adolescence well into adult life is equally dumb. Obamacare's provision that young adults remain eligible on their parents’ health coverage until age 26 being a prime example.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:24 PM   #513
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:39 PM
I'd gladly go with my own health coverage if you weren't so dead set on making education expensive. I'd prefer to wait until after I pay off my crippling college debt first.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #514
Blue Crack Addict

the truth or whatever you want to call it
lies somewhere in between.

yes, adolescence is creeping up
it seems many want things and believe they are entitled to them without any thought of who is paying the costs of these things
the work ethic has seriously diminished,

allowing stay at home adult children to be on health insurance policies is not much of a burden, especially when they are required to buy in at 27 or pay a fine. that is just sound policy.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #515
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
I'd gladly go with my own health coverage if you weren't so dead set on making education expensive. I'd prefer to wait until after I pay off my crippling college debt first.

that rings hollow everything I see you write it.

no one is making you take on these higher education costs, this is a chosen expense you, an adult, have freely chosen.
if you think your college costs are too high, than you should have gone somewhere that does not costs as much.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:42 PM   #516
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
I've said from day one, this is why the Tea Party love him.
Heyyyy now, that's just a few bad apples, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post

no one is making you take on these higher education costs, this is a chosen expense you, an adult, have freely chosen.
if you think your college costs are too high, than you should have gone somewhere that does not costs as much.
Not to mention this is definitely not the best time to be investing tens of thousands of dollars in a journalism degree.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #517
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:39 PM
Quote:
Do you consider CA's public universities as affordable today as when you were in college? Or do you have some sort of blanket objection to public funding of higher education, such that you don't care about the answer and are opposed to the existence of state universities in general.

PA does have a two-tier structure for its 4-years (Commonwealth system vs. State system), somewhat analogous to UC vs. CSU though not quite as full-fledged. Both the Commonwealth and State universities are more expensive than their CA counterparts though.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 11-21-2011, 09:50 PM   #518
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
a journalism degree.

I am not going to make that judgement
a person is free to choose whatever course of study they desire

many are hired for decent paying jobs only because they have a degree

having a degree has considerable value over those that do not. In this economy it may mean the difference of even getting hired at a just above entry level job.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:59 PM   #519
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Do you consider CA's public universities as affordable today as when you were in college? Or do you have some sort of blanket objection to public funding of higher education, such that you don't care about the answer and are opposed to the existence of state universities in general.

PA does have a two-tier structure for its 4-years (Commonwealth system vs. State system), somewhat analogous to CSU vs. UC though not quite as full-fledged. Both the Commonwealth and State universities are more expensive than their CA counterparts though.
last time I checked CA was more expensive than PA
and it seems we are having to rethink many things that have been paid for by taxes, public employee pensions with health care are not sustainable at their current levels.
Our very liberal Dem Governor recently proposed a radical revamping of public employee compensations.

In CA they just bumped tuition another 9%, the students are not happy, there has been some occupying going on. Our state budget is still billions in the red.

So what I am thinking, is higher education costs will be one of the things that will be receiving even less public funding in the future.

The state must do K-12. The is not required to pay for higher education, am I wrong?

I am not opposed to some funding of higher ed, where it is possible. I just think there are many things ahead of it on the priority list.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #520
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:39 PM
There's a private and state college tuition bubble that will be collapsing in the US in the next decade. College-level degrees are a ticket to a better salary, but the value of non-STEM or pre-med/law degrees is less and less every year as everyone's dumb 22-year old daughter graduates with a Psychology bachelors she will never use to open a practice.

In the 1990s and 2000s, it was the American Dream (right) to own your own house with a ridiculous mortgage and home equity loan. You could argue we treat college level education in exactly the same manner right now.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:09 PM   #521
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:39 PM
Quote:
last time I checked CA was more expensive than PA
and it seems we are having to rethink many things that have been paid for by taxes, public employee pensions with health care are not sustainable at their current levels.
I am not opposed to some funding of higher ed, where it is possible. I just think there are many things ahead of it on the priority list.
Penn State system (Commonwealth) base tuition 2011-12: $15,124 (fr & so), $16,352-$19,524 (jr & sr, depending on field)
UC system base tuition 2011-12: $13,200
PASSHE (PA State system) base tuition 2011-12: $6240
CSU system base tuition 2011-12: $5472

^ Those are taken from the respective schools' websites.

Couldn't comment on pensions for CA university employees (or PA ones for that matter) as I know nothing about those systems. Here we have TIAA-CREF (defined contribution) which is the norm for American universities nowadays.

Increasing Medicaid costs are the main reason why states have cut back funding for higher education over the last several decades (unlike higher ed, Medicaid spending draws federal matching funds).

While there are certainly better and worse ways to go about it, I don't see how higher education funding should be anything but a high priority for any developed country.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 11-22-2011, 02:31 AM   #522
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Asking me to try to predict my financials and the economy and how they would evolve from when I made my decision at the end of 2008 seems a bit unfair. I didn't know my father's job status would change. I didn't know how the economy would go. I didn't know how much expenses at this school would change.

I don't regret my decision, but I absolutely feel outside forces could have made things easier on me by doing the right thing instead of the wrong thing. This isn't a matter of "what's in it for me?" This is a matter of making education a larger priority in this state, instead of making drastic cuts simply to protect the sanctity of cronyism.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:34 AM   #523
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
Not to mention this is definitely not the best time to be investing tens of thousands of dollars in a journalism degree.
It was journalism or business. I don't think I'd be able to live with myself if I had gone with business though. I like to think I can escape with a bit of integrity.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:06 AM   #524
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
I don't think I'd be able to live with myself if I had gone with business though. I like to think I can escape with a bit of integrity.
What do you mean?
Old 11-22-2011, 01:13 PM   #525
Blue Crack Addict

I have zero interest in working for the people who are ruining this country.