GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 2 - Page 26 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #376
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
As for me, my favorite leaders of the party (and potential future presidents) have been people like Romney, Paul Ryan, Mitch Daniels and Haley Barbour- reasonable adults who are unquestionably intelligent and knowledgeable on the issues, regardless of whether you agree or not.

Of course, that said, I'd still vote for any of the current field over Obama.
Do you consider Obama to not be a reasonable adult who is unquestionably intelligent and knowledgeable on the issues?

Old 11-03-2011, 09:54 PM   #377
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:49 PM
Rice can do ok in an interview, but she was a terrible Secretary of State, one of the worst ever.
2nd term, things improved a bit. But she was right at the center during the worst decisions ever made. A few people got out, or were pushed out, not her.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:00 PM   #378
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Do you consider Obama to not be a reasonable adult who is unquestionably intelligent and knowledgeable on the issues?
The tragedy of Obama. Is that he ran and won too soon.
We all would have been much better served if Hillary had gotten the nomination.

He has been called the brilliant amateur. We will never know how great of a president he could have been, with more experience.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:16 PM   #379
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
On many things, no. If he is, I've yet to see much of it demonstrated, especially if the people he surrounds himself with are supposed to be an extension of that intelligence.

I don't care how long I live, I will never understand how in the midst of unprecedented challenges, two wars, an economy in decline, a mounting debt, and increasing tensions with Iran and China, we elected not Hillary Clinton or John McCain, but a guy who was completely untested and unproven as a leader and a problem-solver.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:24 PM   #380
Blue Crack Addict

John McCain has no chance in 2008 and if Romney got the nomination he would have lost too. The country had severe Bush/.Cheney fatigue. Wall Street was in a free fall, due to the Bush Admin policies and the Iraq War was perceived as completely unnecessary and extremely costly by most Americans.

In 2008 Romney would have recieved less votes than McCain/ Palin.
That was the best ticket the GOP could have put up.

The playing field was not even. The Dems had a 2 touchdown advantage and managed to win by one touchdown.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:39 PM   #381
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:49 PM
Quote:
On many things, no.
Regardless of whether you disagree or not, you don't think Obama is intelligent and knowledgeable about the issues? Hell, I disagree vehemently with Karl Rove on pretty much everything politically, but there's absolutely no doubt that he's extremely intelligent and well-versed on the issues.

I'm having a hard time understanding how one could come to the conclusion that Obama is dim-witted and/or uninformed on the issues. Care to explain?
Old 11-03-2011, 10:41 PM   #382
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
John McCain has no chance in 2008 and if Romney got the nomination he would have lost too. The country had severe Bush/.Cheney fatigue. Wall Street was in a free fall, due to the Bush Admin policies and the Iraq War was perceived as completely unnecessary and extremely costly by most Americans.

In 2008 Romney would have recieved less votes than McCain/ Palin.
That was the best ticket the GOP could have put up.

The playing field was not even. The Dems had a 2 touchdown advantage and managed to win by one touchdown.
I understand the politics of it. It was a Democratic year if there ever was one, and they did a good job of portraying McCain as an extension of Bush. Obama was appealing on a personal and emotional level. McCain wasn't at all. I get all that. But considering the problems America was facing, I can't wrap my head around his election.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:52 PM   #383
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
I understand the politics of it. It was a Democratic year if there ever was one, and they did a good job of portraying McCain as an extension of Bush. Obama was appealing on a personal and emotional level. McCain wasn't at all. I get all that. But considering the problems America was facing, I can't wrap my head around his election.
Considering the problems America was facing, maybe the American people didn't want a President who would choose (with little to no vetting done) a second-in-command as clearly unprepared and uninformed about the issues as Sarah Palin, and then appeared to not know how to handle his #2 for the remainder of the campaign?
Old 11-03-2011, 10:55 PM   #384
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post

I'm having a hard time understanding how one could come to the conclusion that Obama is dim-witted and/or uninformed on the issues. Care to explain?
I just haven't seen much evidence to the contrary.

I think everything he knows about creating jobs and how to get the economy moving is wrong. His foreign policy moves (authorizing the OBL strike, continuing the drone attacks, keeping Gitmo) are admirable and worth some points, but I'd be very worried if he DIDN'T do those things. I think Holder and Geithner and Chu are embarrassments. You hardly ever hear him speak off the cuff, and I've never thought he was that impressive of a debater, either with the Democrats or against McCain. He's well-educated, of course- I just think he's in over his head.

And getting back on topic, I think Cain is, too. And Sarah Palin. And a few others. It's time to look for something better.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:15 AM   #385
Blue Crack Supplier

nm.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:28 AM   #386
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I think everything he knows about creating jobs and how to get the economy moving is wrong.

what would you have done differently?
Old 11-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #387
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrison View Post
I saw Condi Rice on a tv interview recently, and she reminded me how smart and reasonable acting someone from the GOP could be. Obviously that's treasonous behaviour by tea party standards. Clearly she is smart enough to not get involved in the current political circus.
If anyone cares to listen to an intelligent, honest conservative, Ramesh Ponnuru gave a speech and was interviewed recently at the U of Minnesota's Humphrey School of Public Affairs. He is a senior editor for the National Review and a Bloomberg News View commentator.

What's the future of conservatism? | Minnesota Public Radio News

It's not scintillating radio, but it is interesting to hear criticism of the current crop of conservatives from a conservative.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:35 AM   #388
Blue Crack Addict

"High Tech Lynching" - YouTube
Old 11-04-2011, 12:01 PM   #389
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

He's a uniter, not a divider.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #390
has a

Holy shit! I forgot Clarence Thomas has the capacity for speaking.