GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Help me out here. Isn't "Arab" an ethnicity as opposed to a nationality?

Wouldn't this be like saying that the French and Germans are "invented peoples" because really they're all European and part of the European community?

Yes, it's an ethnicity rather than a nationality. Like the Han Chinese, Arabs are sometimes called a "panethnic" group, meaning that as a consequence of history they happen to comprise an exceptionally diverse group of people (could be genetically, linguistically etc.) relative to most other ethnic groups. I'm not aware of anyone who considers "European" an ethnicity though ("white" maybe; in some former colonies, untangling race from ethnicity can get tricky), so I'm not sure that analogy quite works?

All existing national identities are inventions to some degree. It's fair enough to say no Ottoman Arabs thought of themselves as "Palestinians," but of course no Jews at the time thought of themselves as "Israelis" either. It's especially audacious for an American, coming from one of the younger nations in the world (a nation whose self-concept was likewise crystallized through opposition to a colonial power), to deny the existence of Palestinian identity on the grounds that it's too recent to be "authentic."

Politically, there is of course the movement known as Arab nationalism, though in practice that's historically been much more about resisting Western influence in the Middle East than about serious aspirations to a unitary Arab state. Given the history of 'the Arab world,' a single Arab state would seem about as likely a prospect as a single European state.

Last edited:
^ yeah, European was the wrong word. "They're all Caucasians and a part of the Caucasion community" would have been a more apt analogy, no?

Perry continues to pile on with unpopular statements.

tumblr_lvwzjg4JkP1r7mf4po1_500.gif

Speaking of Rick Perry and executions, can anyone answer this for me: why are most Evangelical Christians pro-death penalty? Can anyone offer a good explanation for this? I'm not religious, but it's just disappointing to me to see people who are devout followers of Jesus to support capital punishment. It was especially disappointing when I found out Joel Osteen, the televangelist, also support capital punishment. I just don't get it.

Speaking of Rick Perry and executions, can anyone answer this for me: why are most Evangelical Christians pro-death penalty? Can anyone offer a good explanation for this? I'm not religious, but it's just disappointing to me to see people who are devout followers of Jesus to support capital punishment. It was especially disappointing when I found out Joel Osteen, the televangelist, also support capital punishment. I just don't get it.

"Whoever takes the life of any human being shall be put to death" (Leviticus 24:17).

"Whoever takes the life of any human being shall be put to death" (Leviticus 24:17).

"Thou shall not kill"

Aren't the Ten Commandments the direct word of God? Aren't they supreme to any other line in the Bible, much like the Constitution is the supreme law of our country?

The Bible says a lot of things. Some of them contradict each other, some of them don't make sense, some are just pure strange. But I would think, by taking an overall message from the Bible, that Jesus wouldn't be an advocate for putting anyone to death. And just the idea that human beings are God's creation, it doesn't make sense to kill anyone.

According to Christianity, God regulates life, and so we shouldn't play his role by using artificial insemination to create life, or by using contraceptives to prevent life from being created. So why is okay to play the role of God in taking life away?

would you have preferred Jesus got a life sentence without the possibility of parole, instead of execution?

you do believe there was a real Jesus, that did die at a state execution?

"Thou shall not kill"

Aren't the Ten Commandments the direct word of God? Aren't they supreme to any other line in the Bible, much like the Constitution is the supreme law of our country?

Most people who would use the Bible as backing for being pro capital punishment would probably agree that the whole Bible is the direct word of God. Also, if you are to believe the Biblical timeline, around the same time that the Israelites had received the ten commandments, they were still putting people to death for much less than murder (adultery, disobeying parents, etc). So take that as you will.

According to Christianity, God regulates life, and so we shouldn't play his role by using artificial insemination to create life, or by using contraceptives to prevent life from being created. So why is okay to play the role of God in taking life away?

That's a gross misinterpretation of Scripture by modern day Christianity. Particularly the anti-contraception attitude. Nowhere is there Scriptural backing for that.

Leviticus is the worst book of any in the Bible. Just absolute horseshit from start to finish, completely made up. There's no way Leviticus reflects God's word, and if it does, well then God sucks.

The God I know isn't an asshole.

Palestinians have expressed outrage at Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich, who described them as an “invented people.”
During an interview with the Jewish Channel, a cable television channel in the United States, Gingrich departed from official American policy which supports the creation of a Palestinian state alongside Israel.

“There was no Palestine as a state," he said. "It was part of the Ottoman Empire. And I think that we’ve had an invented Palestinian people who are in fact Arabs, and who were historically part of the Arab community. And they had a chance to go many places, and for a variety of political reasons we have sustained this war against Israel now since the 1940s, and I think it’s tragic," Gingrich said.

Palestinian officials described the remarks as “despicable” and “racist.”
Palestinians Slam Remarks by US Presidential Candidate | Middle East | English

:banghead:

If this man gets elected - which I doubt - then the U.S. would take one hell of a giant step backward. The fact that so many people support him is disturbing.

Speaking in Le Mars, Iowa on Monday, Rick Santorum promised to significantly reduce federal funding for food stamps, arguing that the nation’s increasing obesity rates render the program unnecessary:

Santorum told the group he would cut the food stamp program, describing it as one of the fastest growing programs in Washington, D.C.

Forty-eight million people are on food stamps in a country with 300-million people, said Santorum.

“If hunger is a problem in America, then why do we have an obesity problem among the people who we say have a hunger program?” Santorum asked.

Americans are fat, therefor the poor shouldn't eat. Makes sense.

Does he think that the overweight poor Americans can just live off their stored fat for a while?

They're not camels or hibernating bears. What the fuck.

I believe he's one of the anti-science Republicans. That misconception wouldn't surprise me. They can live on their stored fat while they go out and hunt their food, like real Americans.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Speaking in Le Mars, Iowa on Monday, Rick Santorum promised to significantly reduce federal funding for food stamps, arguing that the nation’s increasing obesity rates render the program unnecessary:

Santorum told the group he would cut the food stamp program, describing it as one of the fastest growing programs in Washington, D.C.

Forty-eight million people are on food stamps in a country with 300-million people, said Santorum.

“If hunger is a problem in America, then why do we have an obesity problem among the people who we say have a hunger program?” Santorum asked.

To pick on the poor and set the poor against the struggling middle and working clases for electoral advantage when there are so many more obvious targets and ways to generate funding - the undertaxed super-rich, out-sourcing corporations, for example - it's pure evil. I really can't think of any other way to describe it. What an asshole.

Romney doing best at the first commercial break. I'm kind of disappointed in Perry and Bachmann for their weak/false attacks on him.

Romney doing best at the first commercial break. I'm kind of disappointed in Perry and Bachmann for their weak/false attacks on him.

really? as someone who wouldn't vote for any of these people, i feel like Romney is looking really rattled.

Perry is the Walking Dead.

Physically, yes, it's easy to tell when he gets rattled and annoyed. The substance of his comebacks though was very good, I thought.

Gingrich on Israel/Palestine is totally terrifying.

going to switch on Netflix and start working on Season 3 of Breaking Bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom