GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 2 - Page 24 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2011, 01:53 PM   #346
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 03:09 PM
He does in general seem to come across as a readily likeable and socially appealing guy on a personal level (in something like the way Huckabee did), and the particular type of 'folksiness' he has reads natural and unaffected to me. But that's about the end of what I could find to say nice about him as a presidential candidate.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 11-02-2011, 02:06 PM   #347
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I don't suppose you guys have heard the PBS interview where he appears unaware that China has had nuclear weapons for 40 odd years and that we have to be wary of them because they aim to develop their nuclear capability?

Old 11-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #348
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJT View Post
I don't suppose you guys have heard the PBS interview where he appears unaware that China has had nuclear weapons for 40 odd years and that we have to be wary to them because they aim to develop their nuclear capability?
I did, this is what's scary about him. I don't want this clown having the nuclear codes.

He's also itching to go to war with Iran, you know it's bad when O'Reiley has to call you out on this.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #349
Forum Moderator

I assumed that was likely a matter of Cain simply using the wrong verb, saying "developing" when he meant expanding. In the past he's publically referred to China's "build up" of nuclear technology, which would be a strange detail for any politician who once knew it to have forgotten.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 11-02-2011, 02:54 PM   #350
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
I assumed that was likely a matter of Cain simply using the wrong verb, saying "developing" when he meant expanding. In the past he's publically referred to China's "build up" of nuclear technology, which would be a strange detail for any politician who once knew it to have forgotten.
I agree. And then there's this, a lot of which is mentioned in Cain's book:

Cain on China: “They’re trying to develop nuclear capability”; Update: Cain getting a bad rap? � Hot Air

Herman Cain spent the Vietnam war evaluating the capabilities of the Chinese to deliver a nuclear weapon onto the heads of our forces in South Vietnam.

He examined the test launches of the Dongfeng 1 (SS-1) and plotted out the trajectories for a 500kg warheads.

When China started testing the Dongfeng 2 (CSS-1) Cain plotted out the trajectories and capabilities of it’s delivery of 15 kiloton nuclear weapons.

Both of these missiles were provided to the PRC by the Soviets, Cain analysed data from the Russian test launches and determined the risk to U.S. troops in SE Asia.

Cain also observed the development of China’s first domestically produced missile, Dongfeng 3 (CSS-2) and plotted out it’s use with China’s 15-20KT fissile devices as well as China’s new thermonuclear devices.

Finally, Cain was involved in the determination that China’s Dongfeng 4 (CSS-3) was capable of delivering both fissile and thermonuclear devices to both Moscow and Guam as well as cover the entire deployment of U.S. forces in SE Asia.

Cain is well aware of China’s nuclear missile capability, the only reasonable conclusion is that Cain was indeed referring to China’s attempts to develop and sail their first nuclear aircraft carrier and their attempts to develop more dangerous nuclear cruisers.

I'm not necessarily sticking up for him, as I certainly think he is not currently demonstrating the necessary foreign policy chops, but this story may end up being nothing.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #351
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I guess it's just one of those things where his past of relatively poor articulation and apparent lack of interest in foreign affairs made it easier to read in a certain light.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:33 PM   #352
Blue Crack Addict

I don't understand how anyone who is a card-carrying member of the GOP could consider anyone but Mitt Romney to be a serious candidate for the presidency.

Truly baffling.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:40 PM   #353
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:09 AM
I can`t see the GOP establishment anointing anyone other than Mittens.

The lead up to the convention is going to be really fun to watch if Cain does well in the straw polls despite his initial intentions of this run just being a glorified book tour.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:05 AM   #354
ONE
love, blood, life

Cain has played the race card, stating that he thinks the attacks on his character are racially motivated (video currently featured in the National Review Online).
Old 11-03-2011, 08:17 AM   #355
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

And the general consensus is that these attacks are coming from his fellow candidates...he wouldn't then be suggesting they are racist folk?
Old 11-03-2011, 08:25 AM   #356
Blue Crack Addict

Supposedly there's a guy who was an eyewitness to one of the alleged sexual harassment cases who who has come forward.

We shall see.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #357
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

It'll be interesting to watch the next few days, that's for sure. On Saturday, Cain and Gingrich are having a one-on-one debate somewhere. I don't think it'll be broadcast on tv, but I'm sure there will be clips of it, and Cain is likely to be destroyed by Newt policy-wise. Then there's another debate on Wednesday, this one all about foreign policy, which is not his strong suit. We may be seeing the peak of his polling, regardless of whether these allegations are true or phony.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #358
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
We may be seeing the peak of his polling, regardless of whether these allegations are true or phony.
You phrase this as if it's some fresh scandal thrust upon Herman Cain. These allegations were made in the 1990s. After review, the NRA didn't find the allegations without merit, or rather, didn't find the prospect of defending Herman Cain to be a worthwhile endeavor, and settled with both accusers for not inconsequential sums (at least a year's severance pay in one of the cases has been reported).

And frankly, Herman Cain playing the race card is absolutely ridiculous. He said, when set up with the "Do you think this is racially motivated" softball by Krauthammer, "I think the answer to that is yes, but we do not have any evidence to support that." Which brings up a couple questions in my mind:

1)What was racially motivated, the initial allegations or the resurfacing of those allegations? Both?

2)In one case the allegations were damaging enough (and apparently had enough evidence) to cause the organization you headed to settle with the accusers. You've just admitted you have no evidence to support your allegation. Do you honestly think race is the issue? Or do you perhaps think that it's simply people doing their homework on the frontrunner? Why don't you ask John Kerry, John McCain, George W Bush and Barack Obama about that? If you're the frontrunner, prepare to have some dirt dug up about you. And while you at least you had the decency to admit there was no evidence, trying to dismiss this as racially motivated is cowardly just the same.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:00 AM   #359
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
It'll be interesting to watch the next few days, that's for sure. On Saturday, Cain and Gingrich are having a one-on-one debate somewhere. I don't think it'll be broadcast on tv, but I'm sure there will be clips of it, and Cain is likely to be destroyed by Newt policy-wise. Then there's another debate on Wednesday, this one all about foreign policy, which is not his strong suit. We may be seeing the peak of his polling, regardless of whether these allegations are true or phony.
Gingrich is capable of very complex, intellectual arguments (something GOP frontrunners are not usually adept at), but he has a real problem with getting through to ''normal'' people or framing his ideas to sound reasonable and fairly simple.

Kind of sounds like the guy in the White House.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #360
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
You phrase this as if it's some fresh scandal thrust upon Herman Cain. These allegations were made in the 1990s. After review, the NRA didn't find the allegations without merit, or rather, didn't find the prospect of defending Herman Cain to be a worthwhile endeavor, and settled with both accusers for not inconsequential sums (at least a year's severance pay in one of the cases has been reported).

And frankly, Herman Cain playing the race card is absolutely ridiculous. He said, when set up with the "Do you think this is racially motivated" softball by Krauthammer, "I think the answer to that is yes, but we do not have any evidence to support that." Which brings up a couple questions in my mind:

1)What was racially motivated, the initial allegations or the resurfacing of those allegations? Both?

2)In one case the allegations were damaging enough (and apparently had enough evidence) to cause the organization you headed to settle with the accusers. You've just admitted you have no evidence to support your allegation. Do you honestly think race is the issue? Or do you perhaps think that it's simply people doing their homework on the frontrunner? Why don't you ask John Kerry, John McCain, George W Bush and Barack Obama about that? If you're the frontrunner, prepare to have some dirt dug up about you. And while you at least you had the decency to admit there was no evidence, trying to dismiss this as racially motivated is cowardly just the same.

But you have to know that just because there was a settlement doesn't mean anything happened. I've heard of companies shelling out six-figures to quash a totally bogus claim just so they wouldn't have to deal with it. I don't think the amount of money is any indication of the claim's validity. I'm also very skeptical of this supposed witness. Unless it was something incredibly, incredibly obscene, who on earth would remember an (essentially) innocent hand gesture or comment someone made 15 years ago? I certainly wouldn't.

As far as digging up dirt, are you referring to the media or the person's primary opponents? If it's the latter, I agree- it's fair game. If you're referring to the media, there's clearly a double standard. The media did not do its due diligence in examining Obama's record and weaknesses in 2008, and said next to nothing of the John Edwards scandal until long after he was out of the race, among other examples. I'd say it's less a racial bias then a pure ideological bias.

If some of these allegations are true- particularly that a woman spent the night with him in bed- then he's doomed. But I'm still very doubtful.