GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 2 - Page 22 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #316
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:44 PM
everybody wants things
but nobody is willing to give up anything

if you want something bad enough
you should be will to to give something up.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:32 PM   #317
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:44 PM
Michelle Bachmann sure does hate taxes these days. Didn't always appear to be the case:

Bachmann Once Prosecuted Tax Evaders For The IRS : NPR

Maybe she's learned from her mistakes?

Old 10-22-2011, 10:20 AM   #318
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Michelle Bachmann sure does hate taxes these days. Didn't always appear to be the case:

Bachmann Once Prosecuted Tax Evaders For The IRS : NPR

Maybe she's learned from her mistakes?
For a woman that hates taxes and big government, she and her family have suckled at that teat for a long time.

I only hope she leaves Minnesota when she gets her Fox News gig a year from now.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #319
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:44 AM
Bit of a digression but...INDY, was wondering what you in particular think about this. (the race, not necessarily the article)

Richard Lugar, The Unlikely Target of Conservatives - George Will - Washington Post

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 10-24-2011, 05:59 PM   #320
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:44 PM
This again? It's a distractive issue that doesn't matter, but you still have to say "I don't know, have I?". Trump seems to have some sort of hypnotic effect on some of these people. Must be the money and the loud personality.

ABC News

By Arlette Saenz
Oct 24, 2011 10:01am

Gov. Rick Perry opened speculation about whether he is a birther after he gave an unclear answer to the question about President Obama’s birth place in Sunday’s Parade Magazine.

Perry called it a “distractive issue” but gave no definitive answer concerning what he believes, only mentioning he had dinner with Donald Trump, who still doubts the authenticity of the birth certificate provided by the Obama administration last April, according to Perry.

When Perry was asked what he thought of the birth certificate, he answered, “I don’t have any idea.”

A spokesman for Perry said his answer on the matter was very clear.

Trump, who is being courted by nearly every Republican presidential candidate, led a crusade last April to force President Obama to disclose his long form birth certificate amidst accusations he was not born in this country.

Full exchange below:

Governor, do you believe that President Barack Obama was born in the United States?

–I have no reason to think otherwise.

That’s not a definitive, “Yes, I believe he…”

– Well, I don’t have a definitive answer, because he’s never seen my birth certificate.

But you’ve seen his.

–I don’t know. Have I?

You don’t believe what’s been released?

–I don’t know. I had dinner with Donald Trump the other night.

And?

–That came up.

And he said?

–He doesn’t think it’s real.

And you said?

–I don’t have any idea. It doesn’t matter. He’s the president of the United States. He’s elected. It’s a distractive issue.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:36 PM   #321
Blue Crack Addict

mediaite.com

Televangelist and mogul Pat Robertson — a man whose name is practically synonymous with the Religious Right — likely took 700 Club viewers by surprise today when he opined that the Republican base is losing support by “pushing” what he described as “an extreme position.”

Robertson expressed worry that Republican front runners are going to alienate voters during the general election by catering to a narrow base:

I believe it was Lyndon Johnson that said, “I doubt these people realize if they push me over to an extreme position that I’ll lose the election. And I’m the one who will be supporting what they want, but they’re going to make it so I can’t win.”

Those people in the Republican primary have got to lay off of this stuff. They’re forcing their leaders, the front runners, into positions that will mean they lose the general election. Now whether this did it to Cain, I don’t know, but nevertheless, you know, you appeal to the narrow base and they’ll applaud the daylights out of what you’re saying, and then you hit the general election and they say “no way” and then the Democrat, whoever it is, is going to just play these statements to the hilt. They’ve got to stop this! It’s just so counterproductive!

Well. If they want to lose, this is the game for losers.

As Right Wing Watch notes, Robertson’s statement came on the heels of a discussion about recent poll favorite Herman Cain‘s shifting views on how the government should approach the issue of abortion.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:39 PM   #322
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

You know you're extreme right when Pat is calling you extreme... in fact you're just batshit insane.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:16 PM   #323
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I thought Ron Paul was very good on Meet The Press.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:45 PM   #324
Blue Crack Addict

Ron Paul is the Dennis Kucinich of the GOP.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:20 AM   #325
has a

Perry proposes 20 percent flat tax - Political Hotsheet - CBS News
Quote:
Rick Perry unveiled a sweeping economic agenda Monday highlighted by a plan to level a voluntary 20 percent "flat tax" on all taxpayers who will accept it in place of what they're paying now.
But he's not heartless:
Quote:
Perry offers several proposals that appear designed to sweeten the offer - and to counter criticism that the flat tax is regressive, taking a proportionally bigger bite from smaller incomes. His plan would preserve popular deductions for mortgage interest and donations to charity for households earning less than $500,000 a year. It would increase the standard deduction to $12,500.
Just brainless. How do you replace the lost revenue for those that get a better deal with the 20 percent?

Oh...Cut, Balance, Grow = Economy Solved
Quote:
Calling his agenda "Cut, Balance and Grow" - a clear nod to congressional Republicans, who have proposed a "Cut, Cap and Balance" budget bill - Perry says his proposal is the best way to cure the nation's ailing economy.

"Cut, Balance and Grow strikes a major blow against the Washington-knows-best mindset," Perry said. "It takes money from spendthrift bureaucrats and returns it to families. It puts fewer job-killing regulations on employers and more restrictions on politicians. It gives more freedom to Americans to control their own destiny. And just as importantly, the Cut, Balance and Grow plan paves the way for the job creation, balanced budgets and fiscal responsibility we need to get America working again."
Old 10-25-2011, 10:47 AM   #326
Blue Crack Addict

Herman Cain’s bafflingly weird “smoking” ad - Salon.com

Sometime last night, Herman Cain’s latest campaign video exploded onto the web, and immediately the debate began: What the hell was that?

Entitled “Now is the time for action!” the 56-second spot, which doesn’t seem designed to air as a paid television ad, features Mark Block, who is Cain’s campaign manager, offering a series of broad platitudes about how “Herman will put ‘united’ back in ‘United States of America’” and how “together we can take our country back.”

The decision to use Block, who seems slightly uncomfortable in front of the camera and whose name and face are unrecognizable to virtually every Republican primary voter, is curious, but what makes the video so bizarre is what happens when he finishes speaking: With an aggressive soundtrack rising in the background, Block raises a cigarette to his mouth, takes a drag, and puffs out a cloud of smoke.

The intent of the smoking shot is unclear, but it could represent Cain’s defiant response to recent media scrutiny of his three-year run in the late 1990s as the head of the National Restaurant Association, during which time he aligned the lobbying group with the tobacco industry. As the New York Times reported in a profile of Cain that ran over the weekend:

Under Mr. Cain’s leadership, the restaurant association opposed higher taxes on cigarettes and the use of federal money to prosecute cigarette makers for fraud — positions that Matt Myers, president of the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids said had little to do with the restaurant business.

And Mr. Cain argued vociferously that the decision about whether to go smoke-free was the province of individual restaurant owners, not the government. “The restaurant industry literally became the alter ego of the tobacco industry during that period of time,” Mr. Myers said in an interview.

The restaurant association relied heavily on R. J. Reynolds for financial support, records show. Mr. Meyne, the Reynolds senior director of public affairs, served on the restaurant group’s board, and Mr. Cain served on the board of Nabisco, which had earlier merged with Reynolds.

There will be those who claim the video represents savvy political marketing. After all, it was an instant viral sensation, with reporters, pundits and political professionals furiously passing it around on Twitter, and it will surely be replayed and dissected by all of the cable news channels today. Certainly, this is how Cain’s campaign is trying to spin it, telling NBC News last night that they’re pleased with the attention it’s receiving.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:38 AM   #327
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:44 PM
Weirdest Political Ad Ever: Herman Cain Campaign Manager Smoking - YouTube

Old 10-25-2011, 03:03 PM   #328
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

If you think that one's weird...

He Carried Yellow Flowers - YouTube
Old 10-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #329
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:44 PM

wait, - 20%

nope, I'm sticking with Cain, I think 9% is better.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:07 PM   #330
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
wait, - 20%

nope, I'm sticking with Cain, I think 9% is better.
If Bachmann comes up with an 8.5% plan, she may have my vote.