GOP Nominee 2012 - who will it be? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2010, 04:32 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 06:24 PM
GOP Nominee 2012 - who will it be?

If you had asked me a year ago I would have said Sarah Palin but as it stands right now this does not seem to be transpiring (although I wouldn't count her out in 2016) - her poll numbers keep going down and it seems like the powers that be within the Republican party do not want her to run. Given this scenerio (that Palin doesn't run) who do you think will be the nominee?

The way I see it the nominee has to be someone who can bridge the gap between the country club Republicans and the Social Conservative wing (not to mention the Tea Party wing). Remember, I did predict that Sarah Palin would be McCain's Vice-Presidential pick back in 2008 and was almost laughed off Interference because of it. My top three picks for the Republican nominee of 2012 are...

1. Mike Huckabee

2. John Thune

3. Mike Pence

As of this moment it looks like Huckabee has all the momentum but remember that the race hasn't even started yet. Thune and Pence may be considered unknown "Dark Horses" now but we'll see how this pans out by the end of 2011. The nominee will not be Romney or Gingritch - Romney's too middle of the road for most of the party plus he's MORMON which, let's face it people, is a no no to most of the "Christian" wing of the party. Gingritch is, well Gingritch...nuff said. Let's hear everyone else's picks...

Old 12-30-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:24 PM
Romney's too middle of the road? McCain was the nominee last time...

I do think Romney is the favorite, followed by Huckabee and Palin (though as of right now I don't think she'll run.)

Old 12-30-2010, 10:06 AM   #3
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Harry, you didn't really predict that Palin would be the VP canidate you actually claimed that if McCain picked her they would win. Two different things and you were wrong. And like most issues conservatives are slow to realize but they seem to be coming around and realizing she's wrong for this country.

As of now you all have no one, but I think you're going to push for Romney but he's going to have some issue with certain sections of the party.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:55 AM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 12:24 AM
Here's the perfect ticket.....

O'Reilly for Pres and Coulter for Veep......woo hoo!
Old 12-30-2010, 12:05 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:24 PM
Allen West (though he probably has no chance because of his strong stance on Israel)

I like what he says on across the board cuts

YouTube - David Gregory Doesn't Ask Wingnut Panelist Allen West a Single Question About His Violent Rhetoric

YouTube - Congressional Candidate LTC Allen West At The Revolution / American Freedom Tour

YouTube - LTC Allen West in support of Israel
Old 12-30-2010, 01:08 PM   #6
The Fly

Well, here are some other Republicans to consider:

Tom Ridge
Charlie Christ
Lindsey Graham
Colin Powell
General Patreus-although he would not run until 2016 if he does.
Robert Gates-like Patreus not until 2016.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:53 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam4bono View Post
Well, here are some other Republicans to consider:

Tom Ridge
Charlie Christ
Lindsey Graham
Colin Powell
General Patreus-although he would not run until 2016 if he does.
Robert Gates-like Patreus not until 2016.
I don't see how Crist could be a serious contender given that he ran as an independent in FL. I don't see Colin Powell returning to public life. I can't see Gates running, having just worked for the current administration.

I don't know that Romney can really motivate people. He doesn't strike me as someone that will get everyone excited. Huckabee might be the best of the possible candidates mentioned since he can appeal to the religious and tea party elements of the party without coming across as a complete nut to the rest of the party.

None of them seem likely to beat Obama at this point. I think the Republicans would do well with someone like Jeb Bush, but I haven't heard that he's considering running.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:31 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Romney

I don't know how he's going to explain RomneyCare, but I'm sure he'll find a way to be against it after he was for it.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:50 PM   #9
War Child

It'll be Rick Perry

Other names not mentioned yet, don't forget to consider Tim Pawlenty, Bobby Jindal and Jeb Bush.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:00 PM   #10
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Romney

I don't know how he's going to explain RomneyCare, but I'm sure he'll find a way to be against it after he was for it.
It's all relative to the field he's dealing with.
If it's like the 2004 Dem field, where there was one decent, smart guy (although incredibly boring and aloof) and 7 or 8 stiffs, or the 1996/2008 Rep fields, where similarly there was one decent (flawed) war hero candidate and against a bunch of others who had zero chance, then Romney can 'get by' into the general. And he'd be formidable in the general.

The thing is, unless we 'know' these candidates, then it's hard to get a sense of how well they will be received nationally. How many of us really know these folks? We know Romney and Huckabee...but not many of the others.

My pick, Rick Perry (Gov of Texas) is the conservative Republican archetype. Like GW Bush with more intellect (yeah, yeah...I know) and less pedigree. Most importantly, no DC baggage, unlike nearly all the rest.

Because of that, I think you can forget Gingrich and Lindsay Graham. Or even Thune and Pence.

Every candidate has issues though. You can always find flaws.
But in 2012, you'll need to be a proven fiscal conservative to win the nom. And anyone with ties to DC (congress) will not stand a chance.

I mean...maybe Jim Demint (sp?) The Tea Party loves him don't they?

I would bet money on only one thing. It will be a Governor (or an ex-Gov).
Old 12-30-2010, 07:32 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

I hope it's Palin. She can't beat Obama, which is good, and if she's the nominee it'll make the season a hell of a lot more entertaining for idiots like me that look at politics as a sport more than anything.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:47 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:24 AM
Bloomberg strikes me as a credible candidate but he won't run unless the GOP stops being mad.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:48 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Bloomberg strikes me as a credible candidate but he won't run unless the GOP stops being mad.
I agree. Someone like him would give Obama a real run for his money.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:38 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:24 PM
If anything, Bloomberg was tipped to run as an independent, I believe. This is his one shot to go for it, if he wants to. Considering all the anti-Washington sentiment from the left AND the right, he might be able to steal a couple of percentage points and tip an election. Probably away from Obams.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:23 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
If anything, Bloomberg was tipped to run as an independent, I believe. This is his one shot to go for it, if he wants to. Considering all the anti-Washington sentiment from the left AND the right, he might be able to steal a couple of percentage points and tip an election. Probably away from Obams.
That would be quite an accomplishment. I'm skeptical that he could do it.