GOP Nominee 2012 - who will it be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry Vest

Refugee
If you had asked me a year ago I would have said Sarah Palin but as it stands right now this does not seem to be transpiring (although I wouldn't count her out in 2016) - her poll numbers keep going down and it seems like the powers that be within the Republican party do not want her to run. Given this scenerio (that Palin doesn't run) who do you think will be the nominee?

The way I see it the nominee has to be someone who can bridge the gap between the country club Republicans and the Social Conservative wing (not to mention the Tea Party wing). Remember, I did predict that Sarah Palin would be McCain's Vice-Presidential pick back in 2008 and was almost laughed off Interference because of it. My top three picks for the Republican nominee of 2012 are...

1. Mike Huckabee

2. John Thune

3. Mike Pence

As of this moment it looks like Huckabee has all the momentum but remember that the race hasn't even started yet. Thune and Pence may be considered unknown "Dark Horses" now but we'll see how this pans out by the end of 2011. The nominee will not be Romney or Gingritch - Romney's too middle of the road for most of the party plus he's MORMON which, let's face it people, is a no no to most of the "Christian" wing of the party. Gingritch is, well Gingritch...nuff said. Let's hear everyone else's picks...

Romney's too middle of the road? McCain was the nominee last time...

I do think Romney is the favorite, followed by Huckabee and Palin (though as of right now I don't think she'll run.)

Harry, you didn't really predict that Palin would be the VP canidate you actually claimed that if McCain picked her they would win. Two different things and you were wrong. And like most issues conservatives are slow to realize but they seem to be coming around and realizing she's wrong for this country.

As of now you all have no one, but I think you're going to push for Romney but he's going to have some issue with certain sections of the party.

Here's the perfect ticket.....

ann-coulter-bill-oreilly.jpg

O'Reilly for Pres and Coulter for Veep......woo hoo!

Well, here are some other Republicans to consider:

Tom Ridge
Charlie Christ
Lindsey Graham
Colin Powell
General Patreus-although he would not run until 2016 if he does.
Robert Gates-like Patreus not until 2016.

Well, here are some other Republicans to consider:

Tom Ridge
Charlie Christ
Lindsey Graham
Colin Powell
General Patreus-although he would not run until 2016 if he does.
Robert Gates-like Patreus not until 2016.

I don't see how Crist could be a serious contender given that he ran as an independent in FL. I don't see Colin Powell returning to public life. I can't see Gates running, having just worked for the current administration.

I don't know that Romney can really motivate people. He doesn't strike me as someone that will get everyone excited. Huckabee might be the best of the possible candidates mentioned since he can appeal to the religious and tea party elements of the party without coming across as a complete nut to the rest of the party.

None of them seem likely to beat Obama at this point. I think the Republicans would do well with someone like Jeb Bush, but I haven't heard that he's considering running.

It'll be Rick Perry

Other names not mentioned yet, don't forget to consider Tim Pawlenty, Bobby Jindal and Jeb Bush.

Romney

I don't know how he's going to explain RomneyCare, but I'm sure he'll find a way to be against it after he was for it.

It's all relative to the field he's dealing with.
If it's like the 2004 Dem field, where there was one decent, smart guy (although incredibly boring and aloof) and 7 or 8 stiffs, or the 1996/2008 Rep fields, where similarly there was one decent (flawed) war hero candidate and against a bunch of others who had zero chance, then Romney can 'get by' into the general. And he'd be formidable in the general.

The thing is, unless we 'know' these candidates, then it's hard to get a sense of how well they will be received nationally. How many of us really know these folks? We know Romney and Huckabee...but not many of the others.

My pick, Rick Perry (Gov of Texas) is the conservative Republican archetype. Like GW Bush with more intellect (yeah, yeah...I know) and less pedigree. Most importantly, no DC baggage, unlike nearly all the rest.

Because of that, I think you can forget Gingrich and Lindsay Graham. Or even Thune and Pence.

Every candidate has issues though. You can always find flaws.
But in 2012, you'll need to be a proven fiscal conservative to win the nom. And anyone with ties to DC (congress) will not stand a chance.

I mean...maybe Jim Demint (sp?) The Tea Party loves him don't they?

I would bet money on only one thing. It will be a Governor (or an ex-Gov).

I hope it's Palin. She can't beat Obama, which is good, and if she's the nominee it'll make the season a hell of a lot more entertaining for idiots like me that look at politics as a sport more than anything.

Bloomberg strikes me as a credible candidate but he won't run unless the GOP stops being mad.

If anything, Bloomberg was tipped to run as an independent, I believe. This is his one shot to go for it, if he wants to. Considering all the anti-Washington sentiment from the left AND the right, he might be able to steal a couple of percentage points and tip an election. Probably away from Obams.

If anything, Bloomberg was tipped to run as an independent, I believe. This is his one shot to go for it, if he wants to. Considering all the anti-Washington sentiment from the left AND the right, he might be able to steal a couple of percentage points and tip an election. Probably away from Obams.

That would be quite an accomplishment. I'm skeptical that he could do it.

If you had asked me a year ago I would have said Sarah Palin but as it stands right now this does not seem to be transpiring (although I wouldn't count her out in 2016) - her poll numbers keep going down and it seems like the powers that be within the Republican party do not want her to run. Given this scenerio (that Palin doesn't run) who do you think will be the nominee?

The way I see it the nominee has to be someone who can bridge the gap between the country club Republicans and the Social Conservative wing (not to mention the Tea Party wing). Remember, I did predict that Sarah Palin would be McCain's Vice-Presidential pick back in 2008 and was almost laughed off Interference because of it. My top three picks for the Republican nominee of 2012 are...

1. Mike Huckabee

2. John Thune

3. Mike Pence

As of this moment it looks like Huckabee has all the momentum but remember that the race hasn't even started yet. Thune and Pence may be considered unknown "Dark Horses" now but we'll see how this pans out by the end of 2011. The nominee will not be Romney or Gingritch - Romney's too middle of the road for most of the party plus he's MORMON which, let's face it people, is a no no to most of the "Christian" wing of the party. Gingritch is, well Gingritch...nuff said. Let's hear everyone else's picks...

It's funny, you assume I'm a conservative. If you only knew the truth.:applaud:

I don't see how Crist could be a serious contender given that he ran as an independent in FL. I don't see Colin Powell returning to public life. I can't see Gates running, having just worked for the current administration.

I don't know that Romney can really motivate people. He doesn't strike me as someone that will get everyone excited. Huckabee might be the best of the possible candidates mentioned since he can appeal to the religious and tea party elements of the party without coming across as a complete nut to the rest of the party.

None of them seem likely to beat Obama at this point. I think the Republicans would do well with someone like Jeb Bush, but I haven't heard that he's considering running.

Well, with the unemployment rate stuck at 9.8% and the unofficial kick off of the 2012 race starting in September 2011, at this point just about anyone has a chance of getting in the race and doing well.

Its highly unlikely that a President can win re-election with 9.8% unemployment. Its also not just a recent spike. The unemployment rate has been above 9.4% for nearly two years now, the longest in the nations history since the 1930s.

If there is not a sustained and significant improvement in the unemployment situation, the only thing people will be talking about is who will win the Republican nomination.

In Bush's last year in office, the unemployment rate one month was as low as 4.8%. Having an unemployment rate consistently above 9% for 20+ months is light years from that.

People won't reward the worst unemployment rates in their lifetimes. If there is not significant change and soon, Obama's re-election chances will start to crumble.

That would be quite an accomplishment. I'm skeptical that he could do it.

Obama needs all the help he can get given the hole he is in with the jobs situation. A bloomburg run would just dig the hole deeper. Obama needs a situation where the Republican vote would be split. That may be the only way he can stay in office if the unemployment situation does not improve.

If there is not a sustained and significant improvement in the unemployment situation, the only thing people will be talking about is who will win the Republican nomination.

Noooo problemo! John Boehner will get everyone JOBS like he promised during the election. :up:

Noooo problemo! John Boehner will get everyone JOBS like he promised during the election. :up:

It does help Obama that the Republicans now have control of the house in terms of the distribution of blame. But Obama is still President and his party has the Senate. Most people are going to take their frustrations out on the President in 2012 if things don't start to change soon.

Also, even if the economy starts to improve at a rate favorable to Obama, there is the threat of record gas prices according to some industry experts, $5 dollar gasoline possible in the USA, just before the election if the global economy starts to rapidly improve.

I like Senator Jim Demit of South Carolina.

He's one of the only Republicans I know of that
is close to Libertarian principles of government.

The last time I heard him speak, he said he was not
running for President.

I guess that could change.

This will an interesting race to watch.

It does help Obama that the Republicans now have control of the house in terms of the distribution of blame. But Obama is still President and his party has the Senate. Most people are going to take their frustrations out on the President in 2012 if things don't start to change soon.

Also, even if the economy starts to improve at a rate favorable to Obama, there is the threat of record gas prices according to some industry experts, $5 dollar gasoline possible in the USA, just before the election if the global economy starts to rapidly improve.

Eh. . .maybe.

If this is really how the American electorate is going to approach the election (and I'm afraid you are right), it demonstrates a really shallow approach to the nations problems.

:corn:

I think the top 3 potential nominees are:

1. Jeb Bush (If he wants to. He has the best chance to beat Obama. Would draw independents, too.)
2. Rick Perry (What's not to like about him if you are a Republican?)
3. Mitt Romney (He's got the name recognition and some momentum, and I think a number independents like him.)

No way Palin gets the nomination (fortunately or unfortunately depending on your stance).

A month or two ago I saw polls showing that Romney was ahead in two out of the three states of IA, NH and SC. After that comes MI I believe, where I have to believe he would win with his family ties. If those polls hold for the next year, he'd be in business at that point.

I don't believe a number of people being talked about will end up running. At this point I think Romney and Gingrich are sure things. But right now I'm of the opinion Palin won't, Bush won't, Jindal won't, Perry won't, Demint won't, and the last I heard from Huckabee is that he is leaning slightly against running at this point. I also don't see Pawlenty getting much traction. I like him and he's a smart guy, but unfortunately nowadays you need charisma, and he's somewhat lacking there. Christie will be interesting to watch. There might be a big push in the GOP to persuade him to run. I think he, and only he, could really challenge Romney for it. I could be wrong.

the GOP is usually about who's "turn" it is, or who's "earned" it.

though Palin could make some people uncomfortable, she'll have to battle Huck for the insane vote, and the GOP did go for McCain in 2008 thinking that he was actually electable because of his history of being a moderate. (how you like Grandpa Walnuts now?)

for 2012, unless a dark horse distinguishes himself -- unlikely in GOP history, this is a party that listens and obeys orders from the top -- it's Romney.

looking forward to more Mittens!

Christie will be interesting to watch. There might be a big push in the GOP to persuade him to run. I think he, and only he, could really challenge Romney for it. I could be wrong.

on paper, i agree with you. his "no, you can't build the tunnel, i don't have the money" attitude does speak to people who are freaked out about deficits in both parties, but after watching him on 60 Minutes, i think he might be a bit too ... "regional." he comes across a bit of of Central Casting as Jersey stereotypes go, something of a Sopranos character. for me, that's fine -- but i can't see him playing in the South, and the GOP continues to Dixie-fy.

the GOP is usually about who's "turn" it is, or who's "earned" it.

that is mostly true. Especially in 80, 88, and 96.
But I don't know how that theory holds up for 2000.
W certainly had not earned it.

I know it was not you. But anyone that mentioned Bloomberg, he has absolutely zero shot as the GOP nom. Giuliani could not get any traction and he had 911 at his back.

The GOP base has no use for Jews, that is American Jews.
Jews in Israel?, that is a good thing - for the second coming of Jesus. :up:

Given the state of the US economy (and I think the smart Republicans would know it isn't Obama's doing, not even Bush's, really), why anyone would want to seize the office of President is beyond me. It's not that highly paid. What are they going to promise, free icecream for everyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom