GOP Nominee 2012 - who will it be? - Page 58 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2011, 02:42 AM   #856
Refugee

Local Time: 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
she's doomed. it's going to be a Perry vs. Romney race. which beautifully pits the base vs. the last remnants of sanity in the GOP.
If the "last remnants of sanity in the GOP" is a flip flopping Mormon there is no sanity left!!!

P.S. Having said that, Perry is way more scary!

Old 08-16-2011, 02:42 AM   #857
Refugee

Actually, looking back, did the GOP ever have any sanity?!?!?!

Lincoln perhaps.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:25 AM   #858
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Vest View Post
Actually, looking back, did the GOP ever have any sanity?!?!?!

Lincoln perhaps.
I'll go with Eisenhower.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:15 PM   #859
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:14 AM
Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Aug. 16
Quote:
Texas Gov. Rick Perry on Monday night suggested that Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke would be committing an “almost treasonous” act if he were to order the printing of more money.

“If this guy prints more money between now and the election, I don’t know what y’all would do to him in Iowa, but we would treat him pretty ugly down in Texas. Printing more money to play politics at this particular time in American history is almost treasonous in my opinion.”
This is an example of what I meant about him seeming "smalltime." Not because he's criticizing Bernanke of course, quantitative easing is a plenty legitimate topic for criticism, but this way of expressing it makes Perry sound like a caricature and an ugly one at that.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 08-16-2011, 12:49 PM   #860
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Aug. 16

This is an example of what I meant about him seeming "smalltime." Not because he's criticizing Bernanke of course, quantitative easing is a plenty legitimate topic for criticism, but this way of expressing it makes Perry sound like a caricature and an ugly one at that.
I don't know. I'm worried that his oversimplifications and cowboy talk might catch on with more people in such times of uncertainty. Probably not enough to win, but still... worrying.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:22 PM   #861
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

^ Exactly, this is the kind of talk that INDY and conservatives find "enduring".
Old 08-16-2011, 01:34 PM   #862
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:14 AM
Endearing.

The Tea Party set maybe, but I think Rove slamming him on Fox is probably a pretty good barometer of establishment GOP reaction (granted Dubya's camp and Perry's camp have never liked each other). It's just one incident. But his appeal is supposedly predicated on the ability to attract both types.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 08-16-2011, 01:47 PM   #863
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Endearing.

The Tea Party set maybe, but I think Rove slamming him on Fox is probably a pretty good barometer of establishment GOP reaction (granted Dubya's camp and Perry's camp have never liked each other). It's just one incident. But his appeal is supposedly predicated on the ability to attract both types.
It was a reference to the Palin thread.

I hope you're right, my fear is that Tea Party has so far gained a pretty strong stranglehold on the GOP.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:58 PM   #864
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:14 PM
Quote:

I think you are wrong on this, the more Rove slams Perry the better it is for him. If Rove endorses Romney, it will probably be all over.

I pretty much live and work in GOP circles. And to a person, no one defends W, or holds him in high regard, at this time.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:53 PM   #865
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:14 AM
Quote:
"You don't accuse the chairman of the Federal Reserve of being a traitor to his country. Of being guilty of treason. And, suggesting that we treat him pretty ugly in Texas. You know, that is not, again a presidential statement," - Karl Rove.

did he already self-immolate?
Old 08-17-2011, 12:59 AM   #866
Blue Crack Supplier

although Rick Perry will execute anyone if given the chance ... why should Bernake be any different?
Old 08-17-2011, 04:40 AM   #867
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
I think you are wrong on this, the more Rove slams Perry the better it is for him. If Rove endorses Romney, it will probably be all over.

I pretty much live and work in GOP circles. And to a person, no one defends W, or holds him in high regard, at this time.
You Sir have hit the nail right on the head - Rove is (and should be) a hated figure to middle america, the worst kind of elitist ( his only real fans are the media and the country club republicans...if that) - the more the bushites bash Perry and endorse Romney the better it will be for Perry!!
Old 08-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #868
Blue Crack Addict

I think he might be a wee bit cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs. Just sayin

Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain suggested that impeaching President Barack Obama "would be a great thing to do" on a conference call with bloggers on Tuesday night, Politico reports.

The former CEO of Godfather's Pizza predicted, however, that achieving such a goal would likely prove easier said than done.

"Because the Senate is controlled by Democrats we would never be able to get the Senate first to take up that action, because they simply don’t care what the American public thinks," he said. "They would protect him and they wouldn’t even bring it up," Cain said, citing the administration's position on the Defense of Marriage Act as an impeachable offense."
Old 08-17-2011, 10:09 AM   #869
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

And this fool was the early fave for a lot of the tea partiers...
Old 08-17-2011, 10:37 AM   #870
Blue Crack Addict

Comedy gold

SPARTANBURG, S.C. — Elvis blared from loudspeakers as Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann emerged from her campaign bus here Tuesday.

So much in politics is theater and, in theater, music matters. But how can any musical choice that involves The King go wrong?

It only can if — as Bachmann did — you play an Elvis song as a birthday tribute. "Before we get started," Bachmann told her audience, at the Beacon, a local eatery, "let’s say ’happy birthday’ to him."

One teeny-tiny problem: Tuesday was the 34th anniversary of Elvis’ death.

No one who had come to Tuesday’s Bachmann rally cared about the minor gaffe.

After Bachmann dished out some political red meat — and ordered up a burger and fries from the Beacon — she took a few questions from reporters. By then, someone had told her that Tuesday was the anniversary of Elvis’ death — not of his birth.

"As far as we’re concerned, he’s still alive," Bachmann said. "Alive in our hearts."